Monday, December 19, 2016

Poetry Recommendations: The Universe of Us by Lang Leav & milk and honey by Rupi Kaur


The Universe of Us by Lang Leav

milk and honey by Rupi Kaur

Rather than doing something reminiscent of a proper poetry analysis/review, I decided to go with something a bit more laid back and just share some of my thoughts about these poetry collections alongside a couple of graphics I made using my favorite pieces from the books. 

----

Lang Leav and Rupi Kaur were both new finds for me that I spotted from the Best of 2016 vote from Goodreads. I had seen milk and honey circulating in Twitter conversations, and the fact that it was slated as feminist poetry instantly caught my attention. milk and honey is definitely a lot more raw than The Universe of Us , dealing with issues like loss, one's right to govern her own body, and so on. The Universe of Us is a bit more centered on relationships and all kinds of love, importantly also the importance of loving yourself. 

I read poetry quite quickly, and once I have finished with a collection, I tend to go back and read my favorites again. This definitely happened with both of these collections -- they are quick reads, but if you really want to think about what you are reading, it is possible to spend extensive amounts of time with the individual pieces of writing. 

----

Excerpts from The Universe of Us





Excerpts from milk and honey





----

Have you read either of these collections? What was your favorite piece of poetry you read in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment