Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#70) - Top Ten TV Comedies (+New Comedies I Plan To Watch)


I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday post for a while, but once I saw posts for this week's topic circulating on Twitter, I felt it calling my name because obviously, I LOVE TELEVISION SO MUCH. I am working on my master's thesis at the moment, watching and rewatching some of my favorite TV comedies, so I thought I would share with you a list of my top ten TV comedies. Since I am obsessed with falling in love with new shows, I will also share with you the upcoming television comedies I will be watching this fall. 

(NOTE: for the purposes of this post, television comedy=sitcom, which means I am excluding gems like Saturday Night Live and Portlandia). 


If I have had a crappy day, if I feel lonely, or if I generally feel like I need some happiness, Parks and Recreation is always the show I select to watch. The characters of Parks and Rec feel like friends/family and it has the capability to instantly put a smile on my face. I think I've watched it like three times already this year, and I can sense a new rewatch coming around the corner. It has kickass female characters, romance, hilarity and so much more!


The Office means so damn much to me. When I started watching this show I desperately wanted to fall in love with it, and I am so happy that happened. Jim and Pam are MAJOR GOALS and one of the best fictional couples EVER!



Full House shares opinions and I do acknowledge that it is not on a similar "comedy masterpiece" level as some of the other shows listed here. It is super heteronormative and super white, but it did succeed in providing me what I was looking for at the time I started watching it - easy fun that brings up feelings of nostalgia. I love explicit comedy with swearing and such (e.g. Broad City), but sometimes it is nice to watch stuff like this as well. There are also episodes that manage to give me major feels. And yes, I did love Fuller House!


30 Rock has never quite become a favorite in a way The Office and Parks and Recreation have become, but I still do love with very much. Tina Fey is great and the things Liz Lemon says and does are sometimes incredibly relatable. The ensemble cast is incredible (much like in The Office and Parks and Recreation).


One of my thesis shows, aka show that I have been watching A LOT in the past year or so. The things these characters do and say are usually absolutely ridiculous, but I think that is what makes this show so damn entertaining.


The other show I am focusing in my thesis and one of the greatest loves of my life. It is not always perfect (and it acknowledges it), but there is just something in this show that my nerdy heart loves. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie!


Broad City is an awesome, laugh-out-loud hilarious comedy about a friend duo I would love to be friends with! If you like female-centric comedy, DEFINITELY CHECK THIS OUT! This is also super relatable at times!


Another great show about a kickass female friendship. I feel like this show is WAY UNDERRATED and should be watched by a lot more people!


I don't think I would dare to post this list without this classic!


The most recent addition to my list, a show that truly deserves its place here! This show has pretty much everything I want from a television comedy (and the critics seem to agree on that!) The most recent season started a week ago and I cannot wait to see what happens in the upcoming episodes.

New Comedies I Plan To Watch:


(scheduled to debut on Monday Sept 19, regular time stop on Thursday nights starting Sept 22, NBC)

This is created by the guy, Mike Schur, who worked on The Office and Parks and Recreation, so I AM OBVIOUSLY WATCHING IT AND VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT! Also, I love Kristen Bell, so my hopes for this are VERY HIGH! 


(Premieres today, Tuesday 6th of September, on FX!)

Honestly the only reason I want to watch this is that it stars and is created by Donald Glover (Troy in Community)! It seems the critics have really liked this one and I cannot wait to see what I think of it.


(Premiered last night on MTV!)

I just watched the first episode of Loosely Exactly Nicole and I must say that it looks VERY PROMISING! It kind of gave me vibes from both Broad City and You're the Worst, two shows I love (as you can see from this list!)

What are your favorite television comedies/sitcoms? Which new shows are you planning to watch this fall?

16 comments:

  1. Love Broad City, it also made my list! :D I can't believe I forgot about Parks and Recs! I still need to watch the last season! :| Great Top Ten :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broad City is absolutely brilliant! While making this list I was sure I was forgetting something too - I wanted to add The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but at the same time wanted to keep it in 10 titles, so oh well. :D

      Thanks for stopping by Giovanna!

      Delete
  2. I loved The Office - especially Jim and Pam. It's just such a good show and their relationship is so realistic. Friends is another favorite. I really want to watch Community, Parks and Rec, and Broad City. They all look hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim and Pam are MAJOR GOALS!
      Community, Parks and Broad City are all great! I think I've seen both Parks and Community like three times this year (I'm writing my thesis on Community) and are so ready for a Broad City rewatch at some point :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I found the fourth Netflix season of Arrested Development so disappointing because the first three were so brilliant, but I know plenty of other people who love it. At this point I just want them to leave well enough alone. Those first three seasons are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fourth season is certainly very different (which is SUPER good for me, because I am writing my thesis about the narrative of that show before and after Netflix) and the fact that the characters are seen so rarely together on screen kind of takes something away from the brilliance of the first three seasons. But I do like the fourth season nevertheless, just for a slightly different reasons that the first three seasons.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I love Friends! One of my favourite shows!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/top-ten-tuesday-73/

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMMMGG I didn't realize Nicole Bayer has a show! That's amazing, I'm going to look into that right away, so exciting. I was so sad when she didn't make it onto SNL because she's so funny.

    Liselle @ Lunch-Time Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either until a friend DMed on Twitter and told me to watch it! I hope you liked it too - at least I found the first ep to be quite promising.

      Delete
  6. Awwww, so many awesome shows! Thank goodness for Netflix and the DVD section at the library, helping me relive all my favourite TV shows from days past. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Netflix has been my savior in many situations. I should actually make use of the DVD section at my library and not always buy the DVDs to my own collection...
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. Parks & Rec is the best! I love watching the reruns still. Friends is classic. Playing House is one I have been meaning to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure I will cherish Parks and Rec til the day I die. I can just imagine watching it in like a nursing home from some new gadget that is in fashion then (probably like a hovering TV or some TV glasses or something).
      Playing House is SO GOOD, you definitely won't regret watching it!

      Delete
  8. I love Full House and Friends! Fantastic picks. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Both definitely are sitcom gold.

      Delete