Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#69) - Ten Books I Have Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Today's Top Ten Tuesday is all about books that have under 2000 ratings on Goodreads. I guess this would be titled an "underrated books" list as well, but I will go with the prompt provided by Broke and Bookish

NOTE: I have decided to include books that have been released in 2015 or earlier since a lot of 2016 releases haven't gained the ratings just because they haven't been out for long enough. This was a decision made just to bring attention to some back-list titles. 


Winter in the Blood was a random library pick for me which I read earlier this year and really found myself enjoying it. Winter in the Blood focuses on the story of a young Native American man who is trying to come to terms with his heritage. The book was first published in 1974 and its author James Welch is considered as one of the founding authors of the Native American Renaissance. 

If you like that "ordinary person falls in love with a celebrity" dynamic, you need to read Behind the Scenes (Daylight Falls #1) by Dahlia Adler. I absolutely loved this one and cannot wait to read book 2, which I actually own, but forgot to take home with me while I traveled home for the summer. 


How to Say I Love You Out Loud by Karole Cozzo was one of my first Swoon Reads titles, but it certainly hasn't been the last. It focuses on Jordyn, who is a quite complicated, not instantly likable main character. Though romance is not really the main focus of this novel (it is much more about a relationship between siblings than about romantic love), there is a chemistry-filled relationship here that adds a nice flavor of romance to the story.


Tracked by Jenny Martin is not my typical kind of read, but I really enjoyed this fast paced scifi/dystopian novel. The synopsis compared this one to Firefly and that was all I needed to pick it up! The second novel in the series has been released this year (I believe!) but I haven't picked that one up yet.


Kelsey is awesome and her debut Damsel Distressed is absolutely fantastic! I felt an incredible connection with this book and its main character Imogen, and there is a guy called Grant in it that is such so damn swoonworthy. 


How We Deal with Gravity by Ginger Scott is a new adult novel I picked up a few summers ago just because I wanted something emotional to read. While the novel includes some pretty cliche romantic scenes, I liked the main character Avery a lot!


I read  True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet by Lola Douglas/Lara Deloza (I think Lara Deloza is the name she writes with now and she actually has a new book called WINNING coming up later this year that sounds really awesome!) is a book I read back in like 2008 by the pool while I was still living in US. It is super cliche and predictable, but also funny and romantic and a perfect summer book in general. There is also a TV movie adaptation of this starring JoJo that is just wonderful in its cliche teen movie-ness. 


The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas focuses on a Catholic girl called Antonio who is obsessed with saints. It is funny, slightly romantic and just in general a great YA contemporary read. It has been YEARS since I read this one, but I think I need to reserve it from the library so I can reread it.


There was a time when I only read Jane Austen adaptations, and  Echoes of Love by Rosie Rushton is a pretty good YA adaptation of Austen's Persuasion. For those who know Persuasion the general storyline does not really offer anything new, but the setting here is 21st century England. Anna is the daughter of a television host and her family is in financial trouble while Felix Wentworth is a respected Afghanistan war veteran. 


In  Fallout (Lois Lane #1) by Gwenda Bond army brat Lois Lane moves to Metropolis with her family, makes new friends, and chats online with a guy using a username SmallvilleGuy (I WONDER WHO THAT IS?!?!? ;))) ). I loved Lois and I cannot wait to pick up the second book in this series.

Which books made your list this week?

6 comments:

  1. How To Say I Love You Out Loud sounds like a book I would enjoy. Sad that some great books don't get the attention they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How To Say I Love You Out Loud sounds like a book I would enjoy. Sad that some great books don't get the attention they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! The Possibilities of Sainthood! Like!

    I like how we are taking a close look this week at books that have been deeply underrated. Thanks for sharing yours!

    Here's my Books I Enjoyed That You Might Have Missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to Say I Love You Out Loud is one I need. I just read her newest book and LOVED it. Damsel Distressed and Behind the Scenes are two I want to get to as well. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet is one I always watch whenever it pops up on LMN, I also read it by the pool which I think fully enhances the experience of any book :) Great List!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I need to read How To Say I Love You Out Loud because it was on The Broke and the Bookish TTT list, too. I would say Summer On the Short Bus for not only a fab under 2,000 book, but as a great summer read, too.

    ReplyDelete