Saturday, June 25, 2016

Best of 2016...so far (#3): Books


Now that I have shared with you some of my favorite documentaries and films from 2016... so far, I will take a break from the visual stuff and list to you some of my favorite books from the first half of 2016.


Jeff Zentner's The Serpent King broke my heart into tiny little pieces, but managed to put it back together in the end! This book was so well-written and filled with interesting characters and character relationships. Once I started reading it, I had a very difficult time putting it down, even when tears were running down from my eyes to the screen of my Kindle. Truly a beautiful piece of literature for everyone, not just fans of young adult literature.


I FINALLY read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and it instantly became one of my favorite books ever! Plath writes so beautifully and the story is extremely interesting and one I was able to relate with on many different levels. If you are like me and have been hesitating to pick this up, please do it now! It is so worth it!


I have never seen the film adaptation of this one, but after seeing videos from the Broadway production, I thought it would finally be time to read this one! Alice Walker's The Color Purple covers a great span of time in a relationship of two sisters. It deals with issues of feminism (the role of women in the society), sexuality, marriage and so much more. Extremely touching and interesting and after reading it, I definitely want to see the film at some point too.


I haven't been a super enthusiastic short story reader, but this one definitely made me want to look for more short stories. The stories featured in Jhumpa Lahiri's The Interpreter of Maladies are extremely interesting, touching and entertaining. Some are set in India, some in United States. They introduce characters from all walks of life and discuss many things from identity to family relationships and so on. If you are interested in the short story format, I recommend starting with this one!


This beautiful novel by Wendy Mills will be published in August and I have a feeling it will be making waves in the bookish community. It is focused on stories of two different young women. One of them is Aila who gets stuck in one of the twin towers on September 11, 2011. The other is Jesse, whose brother died as a result of the 9/11 attacks. This was extremely sad, but also filled with bravery, kindness and second chances.


I have had a copy of George Orwell's  1984 on my shelf since 2014 and I finally picked it up while I was in the mood to read and annotate something. While reading this I made annotations to the pages, underlined my favorite lines and so. Though I have been one of those people who never wants to make markings to a book, I enjoyed the annotation process so much that I am planning on doing it with other classics as well. I probably got much more out of this book by annotating it that I would have gotten if I would have read it "normally".


I think Shannon M. Parker's The Girl Who Fell was the very first book I read in 2016 and it certainly has left an impression on me. The story is extremely intense, the characters are interesting and not quite what they first seem and as a cherry on top, there are hockey players there (hockey players make EVERYTHING better!).

Which books have you loved so far in 2016?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely need to add The Serpent King to my TBR. I've seen it here and there and so many people loved it! But as I'm scared of snakes, I thought it would be a fantasy novel involving them, so I couldn't read it. XD My bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bell Jar is a favorite of mine from high school. I would love to reread it soon. I also loved The Color Purple. I had seen the movie before I read it but the book was so amazing. The Girl Who Fell is one I would love to get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really want to watch it now.
      The Girl Who Fell would make a perfect summer read because it is very difficult to put down :)

      Delete