Friday, June 24, 2016

Best of 2016...so far (#2): Films


My first Best of 2016...so far post focused on the best documentaries I've seen so far in 2016 and I thought it would be fun to continue with visuals and share with you some of the best films I've seen so far in 2016. So without further ado, here we go... (I am only counting new-to-me films in order to keep this list fairly short!)


In Jocelyn Moorhouse's The Dressmaker Kate Winslet plays a glamorous woman who returns to her small Australia hometown to take care of her elderly mother. She left home when she was young as a result of rumors that turned her into a criminal, and pretty soon after her homecoming she starts to make waves with her confidence and glamorous wardrobe.

I have never been a fan of Liam Hemsworth, but in this one he is a TOTAL BABE! If you like kickass ladies who take revenge on those who have hurt them, WATCH THIS ONE!


I have watched Skins for four times already this year because it is just do damn good! My postcolonial theory and my ethnicity in North American cinema classes introduced me to Native American cinema, which is something that I had never really been that familiar with before this year. I had seen Chris Eyre's Smoke Signals before, but I think I like this one even more!


Now and Then lowkey changed my life this year and now I question my choices of not watching it before because I know I would have loved this as a child/teenager. I have a friend group similar to the group depicted in this film, and this really made me want to call my friends and tell them how much I love and adore them. I most definitely identify with both child and adult Sam the most!


After seeing a film like Sandra Nettelbeck's Mostly Martha I question my choice of not to watch more foreign cinema (by foreign I mean non-English speaking productions). Mostly Martha is so funny, occasionally tragic, and also super romantic at times! American rom com fans out there might be familiar with No Reservations starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart, which is a remake of this one! THE ORIGINAL IS SO MUCH BETTER! Even if you didn't like No Reservations, you definitely should watch this one because it is so different!


I will forever love my postcolonial theory class for introducing me to Ousmane Sembene's Moolaadé, which tackles issues of genital mutilation and the role of women in a small community. No special effects, no fancy cinematography, but interesting plot and characters and a look into a culture very different from what I am used to! If you are interested, you can find this from Youtube!


Gina Prince-Bythewood's Love & Basketball is honestly one of the best romantic dramas I've ever seen... And I have seen a lot of them, so that statement should be considered to be a BIG DEAL. It has an amazing cast, romance, funny scenes and just so much to love! If you like new adult novels that center around sports, you definitely should watch this one!


Beyond the Lights is also directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood and it is also almost two hours of perfection! The cast is amazing (the female lead is played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw who's also in Belle and the male lead is played by Nate Parker who is a total BABE!) and the story it tells feels very current and important (the struggles of instant fame and certain expectations set for celebrity women, etc). It is also extremely romantic and the chemistry between the leads is INSANE!


I didn't end up seeing Carol in 2015 and waited for the release of the DVD to watch it. Though it would have been awesome to see this one on the big screen, I liked the intimacy of watching it alone and really getting swept up to the feelings and emotions of it. Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are amazing and I guess I should mention as one merit of this film the fact that IT REALLY TAKES TALENT TO MAKE ME THINK THAT KYLE CHANDLER IS AN ASSHOLE.


Emily Ting's Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong might not be the most perfect film, but it felt pretty perfect for me. I am a huge fan of films that rely on dialogue and this one truly is a film like that - a Chinese American woman visiting Hong Kong meets an American expat, they walk around and talk to each other. Both are in a relationship, but there is a spark there that cannot be denied. The ending might be disappointing to some, but it made me very excited because MORE FILMS SHOULD WRAP UP LIKE THIS!

Which are some of the best films you've seen so far in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment