Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (#61) - Ten Websites I Love That Aren't About Books


For more information on Top Ten Tuesday click here


Today's Top Ten Tuesday is all about websites, particularly non-bookish, websites that I love. I think these 10 sites tell quite a lot about my interests beyond books. Let me know which sites you love to frequent so I can learn about your non-bookish interests!

(I won't include social media sites like Facebook and Twitter here!)




Letterboxd is like Goodreads for films! I have been using it for several years now to log all of the films I watch. You can make lists, add stuff to your watchlist and keep a "diary" of all of the films you watch. If you are a film lover and not using Letterboxd, I definitely recommend making an account of the site - it is so much fun looking back to your thoughts on different films later on. You can also log rewatches and such so you can see which films you are rewatching the most (for me such films are Clueless and 10 Things I Hate About You). 



I started reading AfterEllen during a time I was taking a queer representation class in university and have been going back to it ever since. The site focuses on reviews and commentary on the representation of lesbians and bisexual women in entertainment and the media and I think especially their television reviews of shows like Grey's Anatomy are extremely interesting and well written.

3. Liiga


Some of you might know that I love ice hockey! Liiga is the name of the Finnish ice hockey league and especially once the season is on, I visit this site several times a day. They have scores, game videos, interviews and so on there which makes it pretty much the nm, 1 official source on all things Finnish league hockey. 



The fact that this site is on my list is probably no surprise to anyone. I love watching TV shows and movies and having an access to all sorts of media content is important me from an academic perspective as well (I am a film grad and a post grad media student). Netflix has been a part of my life for many years now and I really can't even remember a time before it.



BuzzFeed is probably the nm. 1 site I waste most time on and I often try to avoid it if there is something else I should be doing. I love the lists they do, the little original videos they post both to the site and on their Youtube and the quizzes as well (where I sometimes cheat just to get the result I want - it seemed extremely important for me to get Tim Riggins as my Friday Night Lights boyfriend rather than Matt Saracen, who is usually someone who's much more my type!)



I use YouTube for bookish purposes as well in the form of watching booktube videos, but I decided to include it here because I use it also for so much more. YouTube has been a large part of my studies because it has made it easy to share media content with others - film trailers, clips and other stuff are so easily accessible from there for everyone! I also love to watch the channels of few plus size bloggers/vloggers, old music videos and hockey videos.



I have both Spotify and Tidal in use, but sometimes I love listening to 8tracks and I think in general it is my number 1 platform for discovering new music. I especially love playlists inspired by different "ships" from television and movies as well as playlists inspired by books (here is a playlist I put together inspired by Open Road Summer by Emery Lord). 




I use listography alongside Letterboxd to keep tally of different film-related lists, like for example my list of films for the #52FilmsByWomen challenge I am participating this year.



I love listening to this while reading!



The Office is my favorite sitcom ever and this website is just GENIUS! You can type any emotion into the site and find supercuts of stared made by the characters from the show. 

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious about Stare Machine! I loved the Office (particularly seasons 1-4) so I'll have to check this out. Also, I've been looking for a Goodreads for films, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete