Thursday, April 28, 2016

Book Review: Good Bones by Margaret Atwood

Release year: 1992
Author links: Goodreads - Website
Publisher: Virago
Pages: 160
Purchase links: Amazon - Book Depository

Description (from Goodreads):

These wise and witty writings home in on Shakespeare, tree stumps, ecological disasters, bodies (male and female), and theology, amongst other matters. We hear Gertrude's version of what really happened in Hamlet; an ugly sister and a wicked stepmother put in a good word for themselves,and a reincarnated bat explains how Bram Stoker got Dracula hopelessly wrong. Good Bones is pure distilled Atwood - deliciously strong and bittersweet.





What caught my attention in the library was that wonderful cover! That women looks like a badass and I LOVE IT. I have been meaning to read something by Margaret Atwood for such a long time, and since I was in the lookout for short books and collections of short stories, it didn't take me long to decide that this is a title that needs to leave the library with me. I guess I can could pat myself in the back for an awesome decision, because once I started reading this one, I couldn't put it down and ended up reading the whole thing on one sitting.

Good Bones consists of fairly short stories that discuss everything from feminism and fairy tales to Shakespeare and religion. Atwood's prose is interesting and Good Bones did exactly what I hoped it would be - ignite an interest in reading more Margaret Atwood. It also further ignited my interest in reading short stories. 

Though some of the stories are only four pages in length, they leave an impression. Actually, I think it was the more shorter stories in general that I enjoyed more than the longer ones. There is a story that features Gertrude's version of what happened in Hamlet that I really enjoyed, as well as one that adds a little twist to the Little Red Hen story that is just absolutely brilliant!

Though this one was an interesting and enjoyable book to read on one sitting, now that I look back I kind of hope that I would have taken a little more time with it to fully digest these stories. One day I will definitely borrow this again from the library so I can reread the stories that left the biggest impression on me.

I will definitely be curious to continue this new reading journey with Margaret Atwood. If you have any suggestions for what I should read next, please let me know!





No comments:

Post a Comment