Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Get Up Offa That Slump: A Blogging Extravaganza (#1) - An Interview With Yourself


For more information on the blogging extravaganza, click here.

1. Well, hello there Milka! To begin with, could you provide a picture of yourself?


Well hello there, stranger. Thank you for this wonderful interview opportunity, I am very flattered. 

2. Okay, know that we know what you look like, can you tell a little bit about yourself?

So, I am Milka (but you already knew that). I am almost 25 years old (my birthday is on April 14th - you better remember that!) and I currently live in Southern Finland. I graduated from Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh in July 2015 with a honors from a Theatre and Film studies program and now I am working towards a master's degree in media studies. 

3. I've heard through the grapevine that you REALLY JUST LOVE TELEVISION. Could you tell something about that?


You've heard correctly! Doing a film studies degree gave me a chance to watch a lot of films, and because of my love for television, I also took courses on television studies, which further ignited my love for television. I am currently doing my master's degree about situation comedies, my favorite form of television, and it has made me further realize that I JUST LOVE TELEVISION SO MUCH!

4. So, now that we know that you are pretty much obsessed with TV and arguably spend too much time watching it, could you let us know your top 5 TV shows and movies? ONLY FIVE OF EACH, NO MORE, NO LESS!

Oh no.... I hate questions like this. But I will try to survive.

TV TOP FIVE (no particular order) : The West Wing, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Gilmore Girls, Friday Night Lights


FILM TOP FIVE (no particular order) : Citizen Kane, Singin' in the Rain, The Dark Knight, Duck Soup, Sleeper

5. I am sorry if that was hard for you... could you now share five songs that you have fallen in love with recently?

Something you should know about me....I don't "discover" new songs very often, but rather listen to the few same playlists I have on Spotify over and over again. So, rather than discovering something new, I often discover old favorites again. The following list includes a couple of recent discoveries, as well as a couple old faves from the past.

Sam Hunt - Houseparty 
I LOVE country music and I am obsessed with this song! Also, Sam Hunt is incredibly attractive... just look at him). I have been playing his album and his acoustic mix tape on repeat for the past few weeks and I can't imagine ever falling out of love with it.


Nick Carter - 19 in 99
I have been a MASSIVE Backstreet Boys fan even since I was like 6 years old, and obviously, Nick Carter was my favorite! I still love BSB (they better come to Finland soon so I can go to their concert!) and every single time I see Nick Carter, my love for his ignites again. While this song might not be a masterpiece or anything, it makes me want to dance, and that is always a good thing!


Kelly Clarkson - Piece by Piece


This rendition of Piece by Piece makes me SO EMOTIONAL! Though Clarkson is a phenomenal performer and I have loved her before seeing this, I don't think her music has ever hit this close to home for me. My mother and father divorced when I was around 10, and my father committed suicide when I was 12 and listening to these lyrics just made FEEL SO MUCH! 

Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.



Oh man, if you would have asked me to name my NUMBER ONE FAVORITE SONG, I would have named this one! I was introduced to this song back in like 2010 at my English class, when my teacher made us analyze the lyrics of this song in one of my poetry classes. If you haven't heard this song before, PLEASE LISTEN TO IT NOW! I promise you won't regret it!

Elliott Smith - Angeles


Oh Elliott, I love and miss you! I remember picking up Elliott's CD from my local library when I was like 7 years old or something like that, and I think his death in 2003 just a week before my father died is probably one of the first celebrity deaths I was upset about. Because to the close proximity of Elliott's death to my father's, I tend to associate the two, and I must say that I don't mind at all associating Elliott's beautiful music with the memory of my father.

6. Okay, since you run a book blog, I guess we should talk about books... What are some of the best books you have read so far in 2016?

I have tried to read more diversely this year, which has meant that I have attempted to pick up non-YA titles. I also took a postcolonial theory course at the beginning of this year, which has made me interested about postcolonial literature. 

I finally read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and loved that. If you are like me and have had that book on your tbr for years, PICK IT UP! IT IS WORTH IT! Just lasr night I finished reading Winter in the Blood by James Welch, which I not only enjoyed, but also found so interesting that I now want to read more from Native American authors. 

I have not completely neglected YA, and want to bring up a couple of awesome titles I've read so far in 2016. The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M. Parker is an incredibly paced and written YA contemporary debut that I had a hard time putting down and The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner not only made me sob myself to sleep, but also introduced me to an incredible set of characters. 

7. In addition to TV, films, music and books, are the other things you are REALLY passionate about?

Well, I don't know whether "passionate" is the right word here, BUT I AM INCREDIBLY IN LOVE WITH OUR FAMILY DOG VEERA! She is my baby, my little sunshine and my best friend. Being away from here during term times (I go to university in a city different from my hometown) is EXTREMELY HARD, which means that I am counting days til I get to go home for summer.


When it comes to being passionate about something, I DEFINITELY NEED TO TALK ABOUT ICE HOCKEY. It is one of my first loves, something I have been obsessed with for such a long time. It makes me happy, but it can also make me feel extremely stressed, especially now during spring when the playoffs season starts. 

8. Well, that sounds interesting... Can you name some of your favorite teams/players?

My number 1 favorite team is the team from my hometown, which is OULUN KÄRPÄT! I used to be one of those fangirls who went to every single game, open practice, event etc. the players were involved in and more often than not, I found myself standing outside the stadium in like a -25 celcius degree weather waiting for the players after a game. 

I also love the Finnish national team LEIJONAT (translates to Lions) that plays in tournaments and such. World Cup is coming next fall, and I am VERY EXCITED FOR THAT!

From NHL (National Hockey League) that plays in US/Canada my favorite team is Pittsburgh Penguins!  When it comes to favorite players, I have two favorites- one Finnish and one Canadian. 


Pekka Rinne is a goaltender who used to play for my home team Kärpät before he moved to NHL and Nashville Predators. This is the player that turned (and still turns) me into a blubbering mess. I usually don't really get nervous around famous people, but every single time I see this guy, I turn completely speechless and have a very hard time hiding my love for him. HE IS AN ABSOLUTE SWEETHEART THOUGH AND ONE OF THE BEST HUMAN BEINGS I'VE EVER MET. 


Sidney Crosby is a name every hockey fan knows! He has pretty much won every single thing to win in hockey (Olympics, Stanley Cup, etc.) and he is not even 30 yet. I haven't been fortunate enough to see him play yet, but ONE DAY! Also, he seems like a complete sweetheart and really passionate about hockey, which is something that makes me love him more.

9. Now that we are almost at the end of this interview, I want to know if you can think of some examples from television/film/books that connect many of your interests together? (e.g. books about hockey, films about books, etc.)

Hmm.... Full Measures by Rebecca Yarros is a new adult novel that has a hockey playing love interest! I really LOVED this one - it is romantic, funny and also absolutely heartbreaking at times!

Just recently I watched the first season of HBO's The Comeback which connected my love for television and television comedies, not only because it is a comedy, but also because it focuses on the production of a television comedy. In general, I can often connect my passion for my studies to television, and at the moment, for example, I am watching some of my favorite comedies in preparation to writing my thesis. 

10. And finally, go to Youtube and share 5 videos that make you happy.

Ari Vallin scores during overtime and Oulun Kärpät wins the Finnish championship in 2004.


I would not be exaggerating when I say that this goal is one of the happiest moments of my life. The 2003-2004 season was one of the first seasons I was really invested in hockey (going to a lot of games etc.) and my hometown team winning the championship MEANT SO MUCH! Also, 2004 was the first time my hometown team won the championship since 1981, so it was a high time for us to get back to the top again.

Parks and Recreation + Ron Swanson


My kind of guy...

The Office & Jim Halpert


So Jim Halpert is like my favorite guy ever, and the Niagara episodes ALWAYS make me cry happy tears.

Dogs Meet their Owners after long periods of separation



THESE VIDEOS TURN ME INTO A CRYING, HAPPY MESS!

When Netflix brings your favorite shows back...


I am in love with Netflix, especially now that it has brought some of my favorite shows back after cancellation... First it happened with Arrested Development, just now recently with Fuller House and next up WE WILL GET TO SEE MORE OF GILMORE GIRLS.

Thank you for participating in this interview Milka!

10 comments:

  1. I love The Office and Parks & Rec! I donʻt know how many times Iʻve watched and rewatched those shows. Gotta love Ron Swansonʻs attack on vegan bacon...lol. Jim and Pamʻs wedding still makes me cry all the time. I loved Gilmore Girls when it was still on TV years ago, but havenʻt watched it since then. Iʻll need to rewatch the whole thing before the mini-series comes out!

    I secretly love watching videos of dogs being reunited with their owners even though it makes me cry like a baby every single time. I just canʻt help it-it pulls on my heartstrings!

    I definitely tend to read more YA but have been trying to read a wider variety this year. The Bell Jar has been on my list for ages now...I think Iʻll take your advice and just read it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron Swanson is pretty much my dream guy, I'm not even kidding! :D
      Gilmore Girls is always worth a rewatch, though I feel I always have a hard time getting through the seventh season because as a season, it just sucks compared to the other seasons.

      The Bell Jar is SO GOOD - once I started it, I couldn't put it down! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to pick it up :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE THIS INTERVIEW! AND I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS! AAAAAAAH! My TV channel stopped airing it after the season five finale and I NEED 6 and 7 like yesterday!

    Following you, and I'm looking forward to more of your posts!

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO, you definitely need to watch seasons 6 and 7 - THERE IS SO MUCH MORE LOGAN ON THOSE SEASONS (yes, I am Team Logan over Team Jess all day every day!)

      Thanks for following and for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  3. YES. Gilmore Girls is my favorite! I watched ALL THE SEASONS for the first time last summer. I fell in love and I can't wait for the new Netflix special! Also, I love hockey too! Thanks to my husband - he grew up playing hockey and then got me into it. When I first started watching, I rooted for the penguins, because they were penguins. But now I like the LA Kings. Also, that gif of Crosby hahahah model pose, much?

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I binged all of the seasons like 4 summers ago - I worked during the days and right after I got home, I used lounged on my bed and watched Gilmore Girls :D

      I chose Pens as "my team" YEARS ago mostly because Crosby was drafted there (I have had a crush on him since I was a teenager!). I lived in Washington D.C. for a while, and ever since I have had a soft spot for Caps too. In general though, I just tend to root for individual Finnish players in different NHL teams :)

      Also, I am pretty sure that gif of Crosby is perfection and I use it the every chance I get! :D

      Delete
  4. FINLAND! That is so cool! I love "meeting" bloggers from around the world. I will NOT be watching that dog/owner reunited video because I know that I will not cry, but CRY. Your dog is so cute! I can't imagine not living with my babies...they're my babies! I have THE GIRL WHO FELL and am really looking forward to reading it; maybe I'll start it next? I've been hearing ALL THE GOOD THINGS about THE SERPENT KING and should probably pick it up, but I fear the tears! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, those videos definitely make me CRY too - once one of my lecturers showed a video like that in class and I just kept staring at the desk because I did not want to cry in front of the class :D

      Delete
  5. I loved reading your interview! I am a Gilmore Girls fan too! Super excited for the revival coming soon! Yay for Netflix. Speaking of, I am watching Fuller House right now. It makes me happy and reminds me of the classic show. I loved Full House as a kid and totally own the whole series.

    I'm participating the Get Up Offa That Slump blogging extravaganza too so I hope to see more posts from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuller House was such a fun show to watch and definitely gave me vibes of the original show. I cannot wait to watch season 2 of it next year!

      Delete