Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Get Up Offa That Slump: A Blogging Extravaganza (#4) - Don't Post That Venting Review/Bash That Book

For more information on the Blogging Extravaganza, click here.

Today, I get to rant about a book that I REALLY DIDN'T LIKE! The point of this post is not to name the book I am writing about, but if you are curious, I can tell it to you (I wrote a negative review for this book, so basically you are able to find it from my blog if you so desire). But without further ado, LET ME RANT!


Dear book that I shall not name,

I was so excited about the prospect of picking you up. You sounded like the perfect package - YA contemporary involving travel, royals and romance. Ever since I fell in love with The Princess Diaries when I was around 10, I have been in love with books that involve a romance between a so-called commoner and a royal, so when a YA novel like that comes around, I naturally get excited. And the thought that I would get to meet a royal guy, A FREAKING PRINCE, made me even more excited. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I NOTICED THAT I VERY QUICKLY STARTED TO DESPISE YOU, dear book (I am using the work "dear" sarcastically here).


You introduced me to a main character that is whiny, privileged, and suffers from the "HORRIBLE FATE" of having to travel to Europe for the summer as a part of a luxury trip before the "HORRIBLE FATE" of going to one of the best colleges in the world without worries of student loans etc. Your main character gets to see some of the most beautiful and significant historical places in the world and she just COMPLAINS AND COMPLAINS! Nothing is enough for her! Yes, I understand that she is a teenager and sometimes teenagers complain, BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! With your main character you REALLY work on to support the "annoying American tourist" stereotype. Also, this girl has been accepted to an Ivy League school despite that fact that she thinks knowing something about the history of other countries that your own home country is dumb and irrelevant......... According to her, someone who cares about history is a "freak". Nice.


Okay, then there is this guy who I think I was supposed to fall in love with, but nope, that did not happen. Yes, he is a prince, but this book really proved to me that even if you are a prince, you actually need a personality to become someone likable, or someone that you feel any sort of connection with. I kind of kept hoping that this guy would notice what a whining dummy this girl he supposedly falls in love with is, but nope.... no such hope.


I knew that you would be a cliche, but COME ON,  I think you went too far. I seriously felt like vomiting from all the instalove "cuteness" while reading you. After all of that lovey dovey nonsense, I wanted to take a shower and wash away all the syrup. Yes, I bet love is nice and all, but seriously, I JUST WON'T ACCEPT THE FACT THAT IT HAPPENS THAT QUICKLY WHEN YOU SEEM TO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT EACH OTHER AND THE OTHER ONE IN THE RELATIONSHIP IS BASICALLY LYING TO YOU ALL THE TIME! I've read Twilight and I still think this was the worst case of instalove I've ever come across to.

I will probably forever question my choices in life and what went on in my mind that actually made me finish with you.

Sincerely,

Milka (A very disappointed reader)


8 comments:

  1. Aww hope it helped to get that off your back! It must be a nice feeling to be able to have a bit of a rant about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, for sure! I probably should not be so angry about this book like two years later :D

      Delete
  2. So, I thought I knew what this book was, but now I'm not too sure xD

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, which book were you think about?

      Delete
  3. I think we all just want to know what book it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's called Royally Lost :D

      Delete
  4. Nice rant, sounds like a book that could have been great but just went off the rails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely did. The synopsis sounded promising, but the book itself was just horrible.

      Delete