Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Film Review #11) - Merry Matrimony


The Most Wonderful Time of the Year celebrates Christmas and the Holiday season through Christmas related posts.
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year will run from the 1st of December to the 25th!
Happy Holidays!




Merry Matrimony (2015)
A Hallmark Channel Original Movie
Starring Jessica Lowndes & Christopher Russell

Merry Matrimony, starring Jessica Lowndes as Brie and Christopher Russell as Eddie was a positive and entertaining surprise from the Hallmark Countdown to Christmas lineup for 2015.


Jessica Lowndes, who was familiar to me from her role as Adriana on 90210 plays Brie, who works as an artistic director in New York. Seven years earlier, she was still in a relationship with a guy named Eddie (Christopher Russell), but their roads diverged once he was accepted to a master's program in Paris. When Brie is assigned for a project to plan a Christmas themed wedding campaign for a wedding magazine, she comes face to face with Eddie again, who is hired to take the photos for the campaign. Have the two really continued with their lives, or do they still have feelings for each other?


I liked Lowndes in 90210, so it was actually really nice to see her in something else as well. She is absolutely beautiful, and I think she does a great job as Brie. Christopher Russell is extremely handsome - at some scenes he actually looks a bit TOO handsome. I mean... he really looks like a Disney prince come to life. In addition to Lowndes and Russell, the supporting cast works really well, and all in all, the film is a very watchable, basic romantic comedy/drama that's perfect for Christmas.


The main aspect that made Merry Matrimony so enjoyable was the tangible chemistry between the leads. Since these films are not cinematic masterpieces when it comes to style and writing, chemistry between characters is CRUCIAL for me when I judge whether I liked the film or not. These two managed to give me goosebumps and I did have tears in my eyes in the end, which only shows that the film had an effect on me. I must say this wasn't one of the films I expected to like, for some reason, but I really ended up enjoying it. I must also mention that unlike many of these Hallmark films, this one didn't really have ridiculous, caricatured villains etc. but rather the character relationships all feel realistic and like something that could actually happen (so there is no extremely douchy ex-boyfriend or a nosy neighbor or something like that).

Merry Matrimony is a really solid, romantic and enjoyable Christmas film that definitely makes my list for films to rewatch during the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment