Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Best of 2015: Movies


The end of the year always means that I start to come up with different kind of lists that sum up the year. I thought that this year I would share with you, in addition to my upcoming book survey for 2015, my lists of best movies and TV I watched in 2015, starting with my list of The Best Movies I watched in 2015.

I watched a total of 187 films this year out of which 143 were films that were new to me, meaning that I watched them for the first time in 2015. The films on that list will be from that list. 

Foxcatcher


This film took me completely by surprise! I mostly watched it because of Steve Carell, whom I love, but ended up really enjoying the film as a whole. Also, that ending... don't let anyone spoil it to you before you watch this film (though since this is based on actual events, you might be familiar with the ending already).

Birdman


This film is WEIRD! It's a good thing I like weird. I love Emma Stone, and I have this weird thing going on with Michael Keaton (I mean, he's kind of hot, right?), so I definitely enjoyed this one. Birdman is also like visual candy - the way it has been filmed is so intriguing and interesting and just plain fun to look at.

Cinderella


I kind of hate myself for not going to the cinema to see this one because this film is SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL! Cinderella has been one of my favorite Disney films ever since I was a kid and this film was everything I could have asked for and more. I love Lily James and Richard Madden really makes a pretty hot Prince Charming. 

Backstreet Boys - Show 'Em What You're Made Of


So, I am a MASSIVE BSB fan. When I first heard about this film, I wanted to cry from happiness, because while other music and come and gone from my life, BSB has been a constant since like I was like 8 years old. These guys have been the soundtrack to my life for such a long time, and seeing them on screen together, talking about the good and the bad really brought up a lot of emotions.

The truth is that out of all of these films listed here, I cried the most while watching this one (you should probably know that I usually cry at least once while watching films for some reason or another). 

The Night of the Hunter


The winner in the category "the most terrifying film I saw this year". I was expecting a film noir but ended up ABSOLUTELY terrified. If you are looking for an atmospheric, creepy and actually terrifying film, watch this one!

Once Upon a Holiday


I watched a LOT of Hallmark films and Christmas movies this year. I enjoyed many, but the one I liked the most was Once Upon a Holiday. Even though Christmas is already in the past, if you like Royal/Commoner love stories in the style of The Princess Diaries, you really should give this one a go. It is not super Christmassy, so it can definitely be watched after Christmas too. The male lead is SUPER hot too, so that is a bonus. 

Tangerine


I really have no words for this film - it was that good! The IMDb description for the film is "A working girl tears through Tinseltown on Christmas Eve searching for the pimp who broke her heart." Though that description is what caught my interest, you should probably also know that this film features amazing trans actresses, humor, raw drama and so much more. I would cry from happiness if anyone from the cast was nominated for an Oscar because it is films like this that really deserve the attention!

Sleeping with Other People


I am so sad I did not get to see this one at the Edinburgh Film Festival in the summer, because this one was really pretty amazing! This is the kind of romantic comedy I would like to see more of. The cast is amazing (I love both Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie and in addition to those two, Adam Scott is also part of the cast and oh my, he is amazing!) and the humor is fresh and funny! 

The Longest Ride


I am one of those idiots who makes fun of Nicholas Sparks films and then cries like a baby while watching them. Out of all the Nicholas Sparks films I've seen (the only one I haven't watched is Safe Haven, mostly because I don't like Josh Duhamel), this one is definitely my favorite (yes, I liked it more than The Notebook). Scott Eastwood is such a babe, and for some reason this just turned me into an emotional mess that compares only to my experience of watching the BSB movie when it comes to "Milka crying to movies in 2015" experiences. 

Don't be an idiot like me and pretend you are too good for Nicholas Sparks films, because if I would have just swallowed by prejudices, I could have seen this glory on the big screen. 

MY COWBOY/SOUTHERN GUY WEAKNESS DEFINITELY HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!

The Hateful Eight


I am a Tarantino fan, so it came to me as no surprise that I really enjoyed this one. It has everything you would expect from a Tarantino film (violence, swearing, complicated characters, interesting visuals), but I personally found the way it discussed issues of race in America, as well as the use of a quite limited setting creatively, to be the most interesting aspects of the film. Not the best film I've seen by Tarantino, but nevertheless awesome!

Spotlight


If someone were to make a film "just for me", I am pretty sure it would look much like Spotlight. A tale of investigative journalism, true crime and so much more, Spotlight was a extremely interesting film to watch and I have a feeling it will be a high contender when it comes to the big film awards in a couple of months. If you like films that focus more on the narrative than flashy special effects and filling the screen with something that doesn't really add anything to the story, WATCH THIS! I am getting so tired of films that are three hours long but contain only about an hour of actual substance, so a film like this was like a breath of fresh air for me. AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING!

What were some of the best films you watched in 2015?

2 comments:

  1. I liked the BSB movie too!! I loved BSB & NSYNC lol. I still need to see Cinderella and The Longest Ride. I don't think I watched as many movies this year as I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BSB movie is perfection! I was never an NSYNC fan - I remember there was always that rivalry between the bands and especially the fans and I always took the BSB side :D
      Cinderella and Longest Ride as both brilliant and definitely on my to-rewatch list for 2016 :)

      Delete