Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (#49) - Adnan's Story - Murder, Justice, and the Case that Captivated a Nation by Rabia Chaudry (September 2016 by St. Martin's Press)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. 
For more information click here




(description from Entertainment Weekly)

Now, EW can announce exclusively that Rabia Chaudry, co-host of the podcast Undisclosed, and the person who initially brought Syed’s case to the attention of Serial’s Sarah Koenig, has written a book called Adnan’s Story: Murder, Justice, and The Case That Captivated a Nation, to be published by St. Martin’s Press in September 2016.
The book, which Chaudry is writing with Syed’s cooperation, “will reexamine the investigation that led to Adnan Syed’s arrest, share his life in prison, discuss new evidence and possibilities that have since come to light, and review the recent court successes — including a ruling by a Maryland judge to reopen Syed’s case,” according to St. Martin’s. Chaudry recently told EW that Syed’s case would likely not have been reopened if it weren’t for the popularity of Serial.
“The first letter I received after being arrested in 1999 was from Rabia,” Syed says in a release. “Since that time until now, she has believed in my innocence and been committed to my exoneration. There have been appeal hearings in which she is the only other person other than my mother who showed up. Rabia, Saad, and their family are one of the only families that never forgot me. Over the years they never stopped visiting me, taking my calls, sending me letters and books, and praying for me. As someone connected to me, my family, my community, my lawyers, and my investigation, there is no one better to help tell my story, and no one that I trust more to tell it, than Rabia.”
I was absolutely captivated by Serial and have been listening to Undisclosed attentively since it started, so obviously I am very excited about the idea of reading more about Adnan and this case that gets more and more complicated the more you learn about it. It is true that this case probably would never have gained the attention it has received without Serial, and I am aware that there are several other cases that deserve to be re-examined, but at the same time, the true crime lover in me cannot stop happy dancing from excitement.

4 comments:

  1. I still need to listen to Serial. But everyone said it was amazing so I guess it makes sense there would be a book. I also love true crime stuff so I think I would enjoy this. Great pick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serial was really great - the structure of the podcast makes it like a story and once I started listening, I couldn't stop. Undisclosed is a great addition, if you get REALLY into the case - they share a lot more facts, look through case proceedings etc. I have certainly learned A LOT about the American judicial system through listening to those podcasts.

      I will be excited to see how Rabia Chaudry is able to present both sides of the coin in the book since she is close to Adnan and very much a supporter of the thought that Adnan was wrongfully convicted. I am so conflicted about everything myself that I wish the book discusses both sides of the story.

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised that this is a book now, I still need to finish the podcast. It's just soo long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't take me that long to listen through serial, but Undisclosed episodes really are super long and I think there are already like 30 of them out there.
      Thanks for stopping by Amber Elise!

      Delete