Friday, October 16, 2015

Readathon - Plans, Advice and Books


Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon is almost upon us and I am excited! I participated in this wonderful reading event that is filled with bookish love and a sense of community back in 2009 (I think) and ever since I have attempted to participate always when it has been possible. Unfortunately, during many of these I have been too busy with university work to concentrate on anything else, but it really seems like this year I was able to schedule everything in a manner that allows me to spend considerable time reading.

The rules are simple. You sign up on the official read-a-thon page, check your starting time (it starts at the same time worldwide and for me the starting time is at 3pm) and start reading! The goal is to read for 24 hours, but it is up to you how much you read. Just have fun and spend time reading!

As I said, I should be pretty okay schedule wise, so I think that from 3pm onwards I can try to spend time mostly reading until like 3am, at least. I have a couple of things I need to do on Sunday, so I cannot spend the whole day sleeping, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

As someone who has done readathon a couple of time before, I can give newcomers a couple of hints on how to make the 24 hours a little easier on yourself:

1. Pick short books and have a lot of options to pick from... but don't spend too much time trying to figure what to read next (I always do this... such a bad habit!)

2. It is okay to take a nap or go to sleep for the night if you feel like it

3. Buy snacks! A lot of snacks! Mine are of the junk food variety (I know, bad Milka) but it is up to you. Also, remember to take breaks to have a drink (I mainly mean water, but I guess you can drink something else as well...)

4. Don't spend too much time on social media or try to come up with a schedule that works for you (I like to read for about an hour or hour and a half and then check my social media pages before going back to reading).


I went to the library on Wednesday to check out potential readathon reads. I have plenty of ARCs I should be reading on my Kindle, but for these reading challenges I usually like to stock up on physical copies because it is easier to see the process of reading from them. There's just something so euphoric about finishing with a physical book and picking up the next one from the shelf. So here are some of the potential titles I wish to get to during Saturday:


I obviously won't be able to finish all of these! I am currently reading Asking for It by Louise O'Neill and if I don't finish with that before Saturday, I will probably start my readathon with it. But as this little graphic shows, I have a good selection of books to pick from and all are titles I am super excited to get into, so only Saturday will show which ones end up in my hands and which stay in the shelf.

Are you planning to participate in the readathon? If yes, what are you planning to read? 
What kind of advice would you give to those participating for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment