Friday, October 9, 2015

2016 Preview (#2): Non-Contemporary YA Debuts I'm Excited About

Last week, I featured a list of 2016 YA contemporary debuts and I thought it would be fun to make a list of Non-Contemporary debuts as well. I will include historical fiction in this list instead of the contemporary list.

As a contemporary reader, I often find it a bit difficult to pick up something non-contemporary. But once in a while there come those books that I absolutely cannot miss. 2015 has been a quite contemporary heavy year for me, which is fine, but I do hope that 2016 introduces me to some non-contemporary reads by awesome debut authors.

Here is a list of things I look for for when reading non-contemporary books.


One of the problems I've had with picking up non-contemporary reads is their seriality. As you can see from this list, a lot of them are series. I have a tendency to start series but never finish them, so recently I have started to avoid them altogether. But all of these books on this list sound too awesome to pass and I am hoping I'll get my hands on them at some point in 2016.

So without further ado, here are the non-contemporary 2016 YA debuts that I am dying to read.


Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman - To be honest, I don't think I've ever read a book about pirates, because I have never really been interested in pirates (I am in that minority that absolutely hates Pirates of the Caribbean movies). Ever since being introduced to the wonderful Captain Hook in OUAT, I've had a little special in my heart for pirates, and Blackhearts definitely sounds like a good that could fill that hole. I am somewhat familiar with the tale of Blackbeard and the idea of reading about Blackbeard as a young man before he was the feared Blackbeard sounds super interesting. This one seems to be a mix of historical romance and fantasy and I am definitely VERY VERY VERY excited to read this one. Also, Twitter excitement about this book seems to be connected to this guy, which definitely isn't a bad thing:


The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere #1) by Heidi Heilig - a fantasy sweep from modern-day NYC to 19th century Hawaii? I was sold just hearing that, mostly because I love NYC and I've always been interested about Hawaii. Nix's father has a time-traveling ship and ever since she was born in Honolulu in 1868 she has traveled the world from Scandinavia to the land of One Thousand and One Nights and modern day New York. When Nix's father finds a map he has been looking for Nix realizes that his whole life can change if his father goes back in time to a place where Nix wasn't born yet. The synopsis promises fantasy, history, witty and fast-paced dialogue and adventures and it definitely has sold this book for me.

Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor - Hope Walton suffers from crippling phobias and has never really fit into her father's perfect, cookie-cutter Southern family. After her mother dies in a natural disaster far away from home, Hope is sent to live with her aunt in the Scottish Highlands. There she learns that her mother is a part of secret league of time travelers and currently stuck in 12th century. In order to save her mother, Hope needs to join a group of time-jumpers and survive in the medieval world her mother is stuck in.

These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas - This one, set during the Victorian Era in London, is described as a mix between Jane Austen and X-Men. Though I am not a huge X-Men fan, I do love superheroes in general, and the idea of superheroes and Jane Austen seems like something I cannot pass.


Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto - Seventeen year old Westie lost her arm and her family to cannibals when she was a child and since then she has been living with an inventor called Nigel Butler. Despite her tough exterior and powerful mechanical arm created by his foster father, Westie cannot forget the horrors of her past. When a family of investors ready to invest in Nigel's creation shows up, Westie realizes that there are many similarities between their outlook and the outlook of those that killed her family. With the help of Alistair, Nigel's young assistant, Westie tries to prove the guilt of the investors while trying to avoid losing the family she has now.

The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - I must admit that with this book, I was first attracted to the title and then to the absolutely beautiful cover, but plot-wise it does sound awesome as well! It's set in 1970s Alaska and it focuses on four very different lives that become entangled as the events of the novel unfold. There's Ruth who has a secret she knows she cannot hide forever; Dora who wonders whether she can ever really escape where she comes from; Alyce who is trying to reconcile her desire to dance; and Hank who decides it is saver to run away that stay home. The author, Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock, was born and raised in Alaska and worked many years fishing commercially, so I have high hopes about the realistic depictions of Alaska this book no doubt contains.

Love, Lies & Spies by Cindy Anstey -  Historical fiction and another novel that reminds me of Jane Austen. The main character Juliana is described as "not your average nineteenth-century young lady" who enjoys researching ladybugs much more than thinking about dresses, balls and marriage. When her father sends her to London for the season, she plans on secretly publishing her research rather than forming any attachments in the society. Then she meets Spencer Northman, a spy for the War Office, who is much more interested in working on his mission than looking for a wife. To help each other out, they pretend to fall for each other. Then, Spencer is tasked to observe Juliana's traveling companions and Juliana herself....


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Milka! In truth I haven’t heard about single one of these titles, the fact that speaks volumes about me. I’m a contemporary reader through and through. As you I often have problems with seriality of non-contemporary books. It feels like a big commitment to pick up the first book in trilogy. Thanks for the recs, I take notice of several of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ksenia!
      I am a contemporary reader too for the most part, but I think many of these got to my radar through Twitter or through different material I get through the blog. Might be that I won't get to all of these right after they are published, but I do hope to read them at some point in 2016 (and I already have ARCs on some of them, so might be that I get to them this year already).

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete