Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sunday Post (#28) - Summer Wrap Up & New Apartment


For more information on Sunday Post click here

My classes start tomorrow which means that my very long summer break is over. It has been a while since I posted a Sunday Post and I thought I would catch you guys up on what I've been reading, watching and doing in general. 

What I read this summer (June-August)


The Royal Wedding (Princess Diaries #11) by Meg Cabot (✰✰✰✰✰)
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo (✰✰✰)
A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery (✰✰✰)
Kissing in America by Margo Rabb (✰✰✰✰)
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen (✰✰✰✰)
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (✰✰✰)
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (✰✰✰)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (✰✰✰✰✰)
The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher (✰✰)
Come Back to Me by Mila Grey (✰✰✰✰)
Lois Lane: Fallout (Lois Lane #1) by Gwenda Bond (✰✰✰✰✰)
This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales (✰✰✰✰✰)
This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp (✰✰✰✰✰)
How to Say I Love You Out Loud by K.A. Cozzo (✰✰✰✰)
First & Then by Emma Mills (✰✰✰✰)
Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake (✰✰✰✰✰)
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson (✰✰✰✰✰)
Drowning is Inevitable by Shalanda Stanley (✰✰✰)
Behind the Scenes (Daylight Falls #1) by Dahlia Adler (✰✰✰✰✰)
The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett (✰✰✰✰✰)

What I loved watching this summer (June-August)


Full House - I started watching this in preparation for Fuller House which comes to Netflix in 2016. I had seen episodes from here and there, especially while I lived in US, but it wasn't until now that I really felt in love with this show. It is the perfect type of show to watch when you just want to relax and laugh at simple, but often funny, jokes.

Bloodline - I started watching this one because I am desperately in love with Kyle Chandler and ended up really loving it! The structure of this show is so intriguing and definitely perfect for binge-watching. And yeah, Kyle Chandler is D-R-E-A-M-Y!

Parks and Recreation - This was a third rewatch of this show for me and I still love it as much, if not even more. PAWNEE FOREVER!

The Office - The Office is probably my favorite show of ALL TIME and I can't even remember how many times I've watched it before this rewatch round. This show means so incredibly much to me. 

The Newsroom - I had high expectations for this show, but I never expected it to be THIS GOOD. I am a huge fan of The West Wing and in many ways this reminds me of that brilliant show. Like The West Wing, this one is both entertaining and educational! Most of the news events the team works with are actual news events and I love that because it adds a whole new level of realism to the series. 

Playing House - THIS SHOW ABOUT AWESOME BEST FRIENDS IS ALREADY ONE OF MY FAVES OF ALL TIME! I absolutely love the humor of this show and the relationships between the characters. Season 2 is now playing and I think you should all give this a go! SO SO SO SO GOOD!

Difficult People - This HULU original is build around humor that might be too much for some, but I love it. It is controversial and sometimes cringe worthy, but so damn funny! 


Whip It- A great coming-of-age, finding yourself type of film. Ellen Page is brilliant!

The Lego Movie- EVERYTHING IS AWESOMEEEEE! I am not a huge animation watcher these days, but I really loved this one. 

Grey Gardens- Even thinking about this makes my skin crawl. That house is so dirty. A documentary classic everyone should see. If you are a comedy fan, you should check out the spoof Bill Hader and Fred Armisen did about Grey Gardens on IFC's Documentary Now! 

Backstreet Boys - Show 'Em What You're Made Of - THIS MOVIE IS ALL OF MY FANGIRL DREAMS COME TRUE! BSB FOR LIFE!

Podcast love


Undisclosed: The State v. Adnan Syed - If you listened to SERIAL and want to know more about Adnan's case, check this one out! Unlike SERIAL, UNDISCLOSED is more fact based and lacks the "story narrative" SERIAL has, but it is very informative and interesting to listen to.

You Must Remember This - I listened to the 12 part long CHARLES MANSON'S HOLLYWOOD series but I am definitely going back to the previous episodes. As a film lover and someone who has an academic interested in the Hollywood films of 60s/70s, I found the links Karina Longworth makes between Manson and Hollywood figures very interesting. If you like true crime stories and want to know more about the Manson Family, this one is definitely worth a listen.

Gilmore Guys - Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite shows! It probably won't be very wrong to argue that 90% of Gilmore Girls fans are female. When I heard about Gilmore Girls and listened to the first couple of episodes, I fell in love. THESE GUYS ARE HILARIOUS! I've gotten several weird looks while I've been listening to this one on public places and laughing alone.

Summer in pictures


After four years in Edinburgh, I graduated from university with first class honours. I was lucky enough to have a chance to celebrate my graduation with my mother and her husband as well as one of my best friends Iina, who also happened to be my roommate for three years. Edinburgh will always have a special place in my heart. And you must admit it provides a pretty kickass backdrop for graduation pictures. 


I had such a great, relaxed summer! I got to spend time with my friends, I went to a pretty awesome concert, I spent time with my family, I celebrated my graduation and hung out with my favorite four legged friend. 

Fangirl moment that took my breath away


Just looking at this picture makes me fangirl coherently! As some of you might know, I am a massive ice hockey fan! I come from a city in Finland that has a kickass hockey team that I've been an active fan of for over 10 years now. This EXTREMELY HANDSOME AND CHARMING gentleman used to play for that team. He's the guy whose pictures used to cover my walls during my teen years. He is the guy who played second goalie, got drafted to NHL and became a superstar (he plays for Nashville Predators). So far, he is the only human being who has managed to make me completely starstruck. He is also a superstar who after thousands of new fans still remembers me, the ridiculous teen girl who was always a bit too afraid to talk to him. 

I am so proud of myself that I gathered my courage and asked him for a photo because though 10 years have passed, I still felt as much starstruck. I was also glad to notice that the fame and popularity have not managed to change him. Thanks Pekka! 

Life updates


New City - I got accepted for a master's degree program, which meant that I had to leave my hometown behind and move to the south of Finland. I've lived here for a week now and I miss home like crazy, but at the same time, I am excited about the beginning of classes. I got used to Edinburgh, so maybe I'll get used to this city as well. And at least it is in Finland which means that it is so much easier for me to go back home and visit my family.


New apartment - with new city comes a new apartment. This is my first time living completely alone and after a week I can say that I kind of like it. Also, I really love my new little apartment. 

This update ended up becoming much longer than I planned! What's new in your lives? What have you been reading? Any awesome shows I should watch? 

8 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. Out of the whole post I'm most excited for the hockey player. I don't know who he is (sorry!) but I'm so glad you got a picture with him. And he still remembers you! That's amazing.
    My Weekly Recap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, hockey excitement is the best! He's Pekka Rinne, he's the goalie for Nashville Predators :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ahh so many good books!! I am so excited to hear that Bloodlines was good. I also want to to watch because of my love for Kyle Chandler. I LOVED the Newsroom and was so sad when they cancelled it. You have me intrigued by the Gilmore Guys. Good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloodlines was really intriguing - pick a time when you can binge watch and have a Kyle Chandler drool fest (at least that's how I did it) :D
      I am just about to start the last season of The Newsroom and I am so not ready for it to be over in just 6 episodes.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your graduation! Here's my Sunday Post:

    http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-sunday-post-meme-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY LIFE UPDATE! I don't even know where to start but I'm now following you :) Congrats on graduating with honors AND getting into the Masters program right away. And once you live alone, you will never want to live with a roommate ever again!

    I will now root for Pekka, except when it matters against my precious Red Wings ;) Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following :)
      And thanks for the congrats - I still cannot believe I actually managed to get in quite painlessly. Especially since I'm on the field of media where the study places are very limited yearly.

      Haha, yay, Pekka is definitely worth rooting for! He's such a sweetheart and I am convinced that he's almost the most handsome man on this earth :D Nashville is not even my favorite NHL team (GO PENGUINS!) but I will always root for Pekka.

      Thanks for stopping by Kristin! Nice to see there are other bookish hockey fans!

      Delete