Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (#39) - Ten Fairytale Retellings I Want To Read

For more information on Top Ten Tuesday, click here


Fairytale retellings are AWESOME! I have absolutely loved the Lunar Chronicles and those books have definitely made me want to read more fairytale retellings. So without further ado, here is my list of ten fairytale retellings I DESPERATELY want to read.

1. Never Never by Brianna R. Shrum


I must admit that I was never really that interested about Captain Hook... but then Once Upon a Time and this charmer happened...


So obviously, when I first heard about Brianna R. Shrum's upcoming novel, I instantly knew that I need to read it! Never Never is about James Hook, who joins Peter Pan on a holiday to Neverland. Soon he realizes that he wants to go back to his own world, but alas, Peter does not let him go. A direct quote from the synopsis: "This story isn’t about Peter Pan; it’s about the boy whose life he stole. It’s about a man in a world that hates men. It’s about the feared Captain James Hook and his passionate quest to kill the Pan, an impossible feat in a magical land where everyone loves Peter Pan."
This one sounds SO AWESOME, right?!?!?!

2. The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury


First of all, LOOK AT THAT COVER.
Second of all, a retelling of Arabian Nights.... GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME!
The Forbidden Wish is a story of Zahra, a powerful Jinni, and Aladdin, a boy from the streets who just happens to free Zahra of her lamp. But there's a problem - the magic Zahra has is forbidden. Thus she needs to disguise herself. 
According to the synopsis, there seems to be intrigue and romance in the twist, so yes, I am so looking forward to this one!

3. Winter by Marissa Meyer



4. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


I've never read anything by Sarah J. Maas


I know, right?
Though Throne of Glass series intrigues me as well, I must admit this one makes me more excited! I'm really not into faerie books that much, but the fact that the synopsis mentions Beauty and the Beast makes me very excited. 
And hey, everyone seems to love this author. So I am betting I'll love her books too just as soon as I actually get started with them.

5. Uprooted by Naomi Novak


I think this exactly isn't a retelling, but instead just inspired by folk and fairy tales. Uprooted has been making rounds in Goodreads, book blogs, booktube and Twitter pretty much since it was published and it seems like everyone I've heard of talking about this book has loved it. So yes, I definitely need to get my hands on this.

6. Entwined by Heather Dixon


I admit that this one is mostly a cover pick. Can you really blame me?
This one is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, a Brother's Grimm story and it is supposed to include intrigue, romance and even a hint of comedy. SIGN ME IN!

7. Don't Fall by Rachel Schieffelbein


An over-protective stepmother, a girl who lives in isolation and a boy who makes the girl want to spread her wings and leave her isolation. Don't Fall is slated as a contemporary retelling of Rapunzel, and I am pretty sure I need to get this one ASAP! Sounds SO GOOD!

8. Winterspell by Claire Legrand


Once again... LOOK AT THIS COVER!!!!!
A Nutcracker retelling!!!
The reviews are quite mixed on Goodreads, but nevertheless, I am definitely willing to give this one a try! If only for this beautiful cover.

9. The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins


Inspired by The Grimm Brother's story The Singing Bone, The Great Hunt tells the story of a princess who is promised as a bride for the one who kills the beast terrorizing the kingdom and a local hunter, interested more in protecting his family than marrying the princess.

10. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson


Another Peter Pan book, this time about Tiger Lily. 
I only need this line from the synopsis to know that I need to read this book: "Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair..."


Have you read any of these fairytale retellings? 
Tell me in the comments some of your favorite retellings!! 

18 comments:

  1. Never Never is at the top of my list too. Sounds AWESOME! I can't wait to read it. Great list!

    Cheryl @ I Heart Fictional People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds AMAZING! And I'll probably think of Colin O'Donoghue while I read it, which is ALWAYS a plus! :)
      Thanks for stopping by Cheryl!

      Delete
  2. There are so many good books! I actually read Entwined (picked because the cover) and loved it! Happy reading!

    http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entwined has an absolutely beautiful cover which I am dying to add to my collection!
      Thanks for stopping by Jeanna :)

      Delete
  3. I love you list. LOVE. Your GIFs are awesome. Never Never sounds great. Also Tiger Lily. I have never read Sarah J. Maas either. I think A Crown of Thorn and Roses might be my first . The cover of The Forbidden Wish is everything!! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIFs are the best! :D
      I really need to get cracking with Sarah J. Maas since EVERYONE seems to love her!
      Thanks for stopping by Grace :)

      Delete
  4. The Great Hunter and Winter... I'm anticipating those two books so hard!!! I can't wait until they come out! The wait is killing me, but I know that in the end it will totally be worth it!

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter will probably put me into a huge reading slump and/or make me want to read the whole series again! Can't wait!
      Thanks for stopping by Maria!

      Delete
  5. I am anxiously awaiting The Great Hunter. I also love the cover. Great list and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooo!
      Thanks for stopping by Barb!

      Delete
  6. I also have Winter and A Court of Thorns and Roses on my list! Great list! I completely forgot about Never Never, It sounds SO good. Happy Reading :)

    Erica @ Read It. Note It.
    My Top Ten!

    New Follower via Bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never Never sounds AMAZING! I cannot wait!
      Thanks for stopping by and for following!

      Delete
  7. WINTER!! Oh wow do I need that book in my life! I also can't wait for The Forbidden Wish and The Great Hunt, and I hope to read Uprooted eventually. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINTER will be EPIC, I am sure of it!
      Thanks for stopping by Danielle!

      Delete
  8. Okay THANK YOU for #1 because that is the exact same reason I was initially interested in Never Never! But now it just sounds like a good book and I want to read it ;)

    I for one absolutely loved Winterspell - it was dark and seductive and 100% feminist. I really want a reread of this one, actually :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, YAY, great minds think alike ;)
      100% feminist - I AM SOOOOOOO INTO THAT!
      Thanks for stopping by Kayla!

      Delete
  9. I want to read Never Never just because you have the GIF of Captain Hook <3 Forbidden Wish sounds amazing as well.

    Tiger Lily has been on my list for years! Need to get on that.

    I really enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses so I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Captain Hook FOR THE WIN! He is sooooooooooooooo hot!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete