Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Taheref Mafi

Release Date: February 5, 2013
Info about the author: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publisher: HarperCollins
Age group: YA
Pages: 480 (kindle copy)
Buy the book: Amazon - Book Depository

Description (from Goodreads):

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.




MY THOUGHTS: 

After really enjoying Shatter Me, I knew I would want to continue with this series. Once I noticed that there was a 1.5 novella for the series, I decided to read that before going to Unravel Me, and oh my, I am happy I did so. I feel like Destroy Me really provided me with much needed background to Warner, a character everyone seemed to love, which I never really understood. Until Destroy Me. Quickly, like probably a lot of readers of this series, I'm moving towards Team Warner instead of Team Adam. I like Adam, but I feel no connection whatsoever towards him. Since I am a fan of the whole damaged, misunderstood guy thing, I've become a sucker for Warner.

Juliette is in Omega Point - a haven for people like her. People with gifts. Or curses, like she feels about her talent. Everyone would think that Juliette is happy now - she won't be used as a weapon, she is free to love Adam and she is in the heart of the rebellion against the Reestablishment, the government that has been torturing her. But things start to get more and more difficult with Adam and without knowing why, Juliette finds herself thinking Warner way more than she should.

I won't say much about the events of this book because I don't want to spoil the book or tell too much for the readers who haven't read the first book yet. But what I will say is that I really enjoyed watching Juliette grow as a person. She is in no way flawless; she makes mistakes and does not quite know how to react to her powers and the new situation she finds herself from; but she tries herself. Another character I really loved to read about was Kenji - he definitely is a character I want to know more about.

Mafi's writing style still managed to take my breath away. Unravel Me is poetic, intriguing and simply beautiful. The writing flows a lot better in this one than the first book, but when it comes to the enjoyment of the story, I feel like I enjoyed the story of the first book a bit more. But in no way was Unravel Me a bad read - on the contrary. It made me very excited about the last book in the trilogy - I can't wait to see what happens to these characters and this wonderful fictional world.



No comments:

Post a Comment