Saturday, May 23, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (#28)


"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here


FOR REVIEW:

Dream Things True by Marie Marquart (September 1, 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin) (TO BE REVIEWED AT WINTERHAVEN BOOKS)

A modern-day Romeo and Juliet story in which a wealthy Southern boy falls in love with an undocumented Mexican girl and together they face perils in their hostile Georgia town.

Evan, a soccer star and the nephew of a conservative Southern Senator, has never wanted for much -- except a functional family. Alma has lived in Georgia since she was two-years-old, excels in school, and has a large, warm Mexican family. Never mind their differences, the two fall in love, and they fall hard. But when ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) begins raids on their town, Alma knows that she needs to tell Evan her secret. There's too much at stake. But how to tell her country-club boyfriend that she’s an undocumented immigrant? That her whole family and most of her friends live in the country without permission. What follows is a beautiful, nuanced, well-paced exploration of the complications of immigration, young love, defying one’s family, and facing a tangled bureaucracy that threatens to completely upend two young lives.
 

PURCHASES:


The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh


A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.
 


Backlash by Sarah Darer Littman

He says: You're an awful person.
He says: What makes you think I would ever ask you out?
He says: The world would be a better place without you in it.

Lara just got told off on Facebook.


She thought that Christian liked her, that he was finally going to ask her to his school's homecoming dance. They've been talking online for weeks, so what's with the sudden change? And where does he get off saying horrible things on her wall? Even worse - are they true?

It's been a long time since Lara's felt this bad, this depressed, this ugly. She's worked really hard to become pretty and happy - and make new friends after what happened in middle school.

Bree used to be best friends with overweight, depressed Lara, but constantly listening to Lara's issues got to be too much. Secretly, Bree's glad Christian called Lara out. Lara's not nearly as amazing as people think. But no one realized just how far Christian's harsh comments would push Lara. Not even Bree.

As online life collides with real life, things spiral out of control, and not just for Lara. Because when the truth starts to come together, the backlash is even more devastating than anyone could have ever imagined.


What did you add to your shelves this week?

13 comments:

  1. Nice haul of books this week. I see a few that I really want for myself. Hope you love all your new and awesome books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wrath and the Dawn is a book I need to pick up ASAP.

    I hope you enjoy your haul :)

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately The Wrath and the Dawn did not work for me, but I do hope you like it if you pick it up :)
      Thanks for stopping by Erica!

      Delete
  3. I got Wrath last week and am looking forward to reading it. Backlash is on my list and I can't wait to get it!!

    Shannon @ The Tale Temptress' StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already read Wrath and unfortunately it did not really work for me. I hope you like it though :)
      Thanks for stopping by Shannon!

      Delete
  4. The Wrath and the Dawn looks pretty good. I read the first couple of chapters and it definitely is addicting. Nice haul, happy reading :D

    Maura @ Monsterofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't really get into Wrath - I did read the whole book, but ended up giving it only 2 stars. I hope you end up liking it though :)
      Thanks for stopping by Maura!

      Delete
  5. Dream Things True and Backlash both sound really good! I will be looking forward to your reviews on those. I love your blog design! :) Happy reading.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had so many people tell me they loved The Wrath and the Dawn - I bought it two weeks ago, but still haven't read it! I'm hoping to get to it later this week; hopefully we'll both love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard so many good things about it, but unfortunately it did not work for me. I feel like I have read several dystopian/fantasy type of YA books that have been overly hyped and not liked them in the past few months.

      Thanks for stopping by Kayla!

      Delete
  7. You've got a great haul this week! Backlash is one I haven't heard of before and it sounds really interesting, might have to check that one out myself. I hope you enjoy all of your books :) Here's my haul if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete