Thursday, April 30, 2015

Monthly Wrap Up - April


It is hard to believe April is almost over. This month has been quite eventful and A LOT OF FUN!
Though I did not manage to read quite as many books as I did in March, I am positively surprised I actually managed with so many even though I was quite busy this month.

BOOKS READ IN APRIL:


Vanished by E.E. Cooper (ARC, review to come on WinterHaven Books)
Rating: 3.5/5

Rating: 4/5
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia (ARC, review to come on WinterHaven Books)
Rating: 3/5
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (Re-read, Review)
Rating: 5/5

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (ARC, review to come on WinterHaven Books)
Rating: 5/5

Ms. Marvel Vol.1 by G. Willow Wilson
Rating: 4/5

The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne (Review to come)
Rating: 4/5

All Played Out by Cora Carmack (ARC, Review to come on WinterHaven Books)
Rating: 5/5

BOOKS ACQUIRED IN APRIL:

Hate List by Jennifer Brown
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melissa Salisbury


All Played Out by Cora Carmack (eARC)
The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne
Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (eARC)
Ms. Marvel Vol.1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson


Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas (eARC)
 Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa (eARC)
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera (eARC)
Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman (eARC)
What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler (eARC)


I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
Confess by Colleen Hoover
The Royal We by Heather Cocks
Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky
 Sex Criminals, Vol.1: Two Worlds, One Cop by Matt Franction & Chip Zdarsky

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING - Notable mentions:


The Staircase (2004, dir. Jean-Xavier de Lestrade) -  This eight part miniseries focuses on the investigation into the murder of a woman called Kathleen Peterson and the indictment of the alleged killer Michael Peterson, Kathleen's husband. After listening to the Serial podcast, I have been increasingly interested about truecrime stories such as this, and found this one extremely interesting due to its heavy focus on the courtroom events and the detailed analysis of what happened the night Kathleen died. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (2015, dir. Andrew Jarecki) - After watching The Staircase, I wanted to continue my true crime streak with The Jinx, a 2015 crime miniseries from HBO. I have been Jarecki's documentary Capturing the Friedmans, which is absolutely fantastic, so my hopes were really high for this! Though it wasn't as interestingly structured as The Staircase, I found myself getting immersed with the story. AND THAT ENDING! The filmmakers must have been shitting their pants at that point.

Younger (TV Land) - The only reason this show even hit my radar was because of Hilary Duf and my weird obsession with her. After seeing her post about the show on Twitter, I decided to give it a go and THANK GOD I DID because Younger is AMAZING! And hey, looking at this does not hurt either.


Grey's Anatomy - SHONDA RHIMES, WHY!!??!?!?! Even if you don't watch this show, you probably know what I am talking about. I have been watching Grey's Anatomy since it started and yeah, this feels bad. But at the same time, the hints were there, so it did not come as a complete surprise. And well, it still does not hurt as bad as what happened to McSteamy.

OTHER UPDATES:


Oulun Kärpät, FINNISH CHAMPIONS 2015 - They did it again! And this year I was back home to see it all! This team is so incredibly important for me and I am so glad that once again hard work paid off. 

My baby is all grown up - Well, she's still a puppy, but much bigger than the last time I posted pictures of her. 

Undisclosed Podcast - I posted about my obsession with Serial at the begining of this year in one of my wrap ups. Undisclosed is also focused on the Adnan Syed case, but rather than investigating the events through narrative format, it looks deeper into the evidence via investigation of evidence. The second episode was posted on Monday of this week and new episodes are available every other week. Please note that if you haven't listened to Serial, this probably won't make any sense for you. So listen to Serial first!! You won't regret it.

I AM DONE  - No biggie, but I am done with my undergraduate degree! I returned my dissertation and my last assessments on the last day of March and now I'm just waiting for the results and the official graduation, which will take place on 10th of July. My plans for post-grad life are still open and I'm waiting to hear from a couple of schools. But for now, I am enjoying my freedom back home in Finland. 

6 comments:

  1. I loved the Sin Eater's Daughter and I hope you get around to reading it, it's amazing! I can't wait to read Vengeance Road, it sounds pretty good :) I hope you enjoy your freedom in Finland!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot my paperback of it to my place in Edinburgh, so I'll have to save reading it for June, but I am very excited to get to it then :)
      Vengeance Road sounds like one of those books that I will either absolutely love or hate and I am really hoping that I'll love it :)
      Thanks for stopping by Asma!

      Delete
  2. Open Road Summer is such a treat! One of my faves from last year! I will definitely try to track down The Staircase. Sounds interesting! I want to watch Capturing the Friedmans too. Oh, and you just reminded me to check out the Undisclosed podcast. I totally forgot about that one.

    Congrats on your degree! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Open Road Summer last year as an ARC and simply had to buy the paperback when I came across it in my local bookstore since it was the first time I actually had seen it there.

      If you end up watching The Staircase, I definitely want to hear your thoughts about it! Capturing the Friedman's is amazing - super messed up, but amazing. Have you watched The Imposter? It is an awesome documentary as well.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. OMG CONGRATS ON YOUR DEGREE!!! *showers you with confetti* That is amazing and just, wow, the hugest of congrats! And your puppy is adorable. XD My pup has grown a lot over the last few weeks and we keep fighting for bed space (he insists on sleeping on my head) and now he can reach the kitchen table and like stole my breakfast yesterday so we had to have a talk about that. haha. It's those eyes though. I CAN'T BE MAD. So glad you liked Dumpling! I'm super curious about it now!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU CAIT! :)
      She really is quite adorable - super hyper and a bit sneaky and yet so adorable. My puppy can reach the table too and just a couple of weeks ago she managed to yet like a half of my birthday cake. My mom wasn't happy at all :D

      Dumplin' was amazing - I really hope it reaches as many readers as possible because not only was it super funny and cute, it also dealt with really important issues and was such an empowering read.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete