Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (#23): Top Ten Most Anticipated Young Adult Debut Novels for 2015

For more information, click here.

This week's topic is Top Ten Most Anticipated (YA) Debut Novels for 2015 (not in any particular order)

1. We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach (March 31, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers) - First of all, LOOK AT THAT COVER! Seriously, I feel like I start to drool a little every single time I see that cover just from the thought that one day that book will hopefully be part of my collection. 

In this contemporary novel, four high school seniors (a basketball star, a girl with questionable reputation, a perfect-on-paper student who is running away from her real dreams to an ivy league school and a boy who does not really have any plans for the future) have to put their future plans on hold when an asteroid starts to hurl toward Earth. 

The set of characters might sound a bit standard for a YA contemporary, but the whole asteroid thing makes it sound unique. AND I MEAN THAT COVER... I WANT IT NOW!

2. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga (February 10, HarperCollins/Balzer+Bray) - Already the title of this book alone makes me want to pick this book up. This deals with suicide, so it definitely won't be one of those easy breezy YA reads that are often published during the summer months, but I am more than fine with that because I love reading YA contemporaries that really dig into serious issues. I've read from early reviews that this one is quite a tear-jerker, so I guess I should start to stock up on tissues for February. 

3. Shutter by Courtney Alameda (February 3, Feiwel & Friends) - CREEPY MUCH? The main character of this novel, Micheline Helsing, is one the last descendants of Van Helsing and since her childhood, she has been trained to destroy monsters. What makes this book sound super awesome is the fact that Micheline uses an analog SLR camera to capture the spiritual energy of ghosts on film.... DOESN'T THAT JUST SOUND FREAKING AWESOME? 


"Lock, stock, and lens, she’s in for one hell of a week."


4. City of Savages by Lee Kelly (February 3, Simon & Schuster) - Set in New York City, where two decades after the Red Allies first attack, Manhattan has become a prisoner-of-war camp ruled by brutal warlords. When two girls find a journal their mother used to write in before the attacks, they start to realize that there's more to Manhattan and their world in general. 


"Their flight takes them into subways haunted by cannibals, into the arms of a sadistic cult in the city’s Meatpacking District, and, through the pages of their mom’s old journal, into the island’s dark and shocking past."

I mean, only that one sentence from the description makes me want to do my happy dance!

5. Made You Up by Francesca Zappia (May 19, Greenwillow Books) - This has been described as appealing to fans of Wes Anderson and The Silver Linings Playbook. I don't need to hear more. This deals with mental health issues (the main character has schizophrenia) and I am really looking forward to seeing how this is approached by Zappia. The Goodreads description also mentions an unreliable narrator, which ALWAYS makes me really excited for some reason.


6. The Night We Said Yes by Lauren Gibaldi (June 16, HarperTeen) - This one looks and sounds like the perfect summer read. Before Matt moved into town, Ella had a plan - graduate high school and move away from Orlando, Florida. One night, Matt and Ella attend a party that gets interrupted by the police just as it is beginning. To continue the night of fun, they end up spending the night saying "yes" to every crazy, awesome thing they can think of. Then Matt suddenly disappears, breaks Ella's heart as well as the hearts of the friends Matt leaves behind. A year later, he comes back with a plan to relieve that one awesome night from the previous year. 
Apparently this one is told in alternating then and now chapters, which sounds super interesting. And though the synopsis kind of makes me hate Matt for leaving, I am sure there's so really good reason for it - a reason that probably makes me fall in love with him. 

7. The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne (March 17, Dial) - Though these books are not in any particular order, I can without doubt say that this is the debut I AM MOST EXCITED ABOUT! I did a Waiting on Wednesday post about this book ages ago and I seriously haven't stopped thinking about it since. It has been described as perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and The Princess Diaries.... AND APPARENTLY IT INCLUDES A DASH OF AARON SORKIN! AARON FREAKING SORKIN. THE GUY WHO CREATED THE WEST WING. If this book is anything even close to Sorkin's work, I will cry from happiness.
When Kate's mother dies she has to face someone she thought she would never meet - her father. Soon Kate understands that her father is no ordinary man - in fact, he is running for U.S. president. (YA NOVEL THAT DEALS WITH POLITICS.... SERIOUSLY I AM DROOLING.

"Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be."

  
8. Skyscraping by Cordelia Jensen (June 2, Philomel) - Once again a book with an absolutely beautiful cover!! Mira is preparing for the beginning of her senior year when she finds her father with a male lover. This discovery shatters her family and everything she thought she knew, as a result of which she finds herself having a hard time to comprehend the lies, betrayal and secrets that have been keeping her family together. When a serious health issues is brought up, Mira needs to try to forgive in order to spend time with her father for as long as it is possible.

This novel sounds completely heartbreaking and the fact that it is written in free verse just makes it sound more awesome and interesting.

9. Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius (May 12, Swoon Reads)  - It really was the cover of this book that caught my interest - it is absolutely beautiful and so full of little details. I feel like Swoon Reads books in general always have great covers! 
When Fallon Dupree hears at Zita's famous Love Charms Shop that she has been destined NEVER to find love, Fallon feels both stunned and devastated. But when she discovers there are others like her in the town of Grimbaud, she joins the rebellion and becomes determined to take control of her own fate despite what she heard at the Love Charms Shop. 
This one sounds cute and imaginative and in general like a perfect book for summer! Can't wait!

10. Hello, I Love You by Katie M. Stout (June 9, St. Martin's Griffin) - This has been described as perfect for the fans of Anna and the French Kiss, which means that I am going to be all up on it once it is released. The main character of this novel, Grace, wants to run away from her family and the life she has been born to - her father is a successful recond producer, her brother a number one country music star in the country and her mother seems to blame Grace for something she necessarily did not do. To escape her reality, Grace decides to enroll to a boarding school in Korea in hopes of finding a new beginning. 
Though Grace has decided she wants nothing to do with music, the thing that seemed to have destroyed her family, she suddenly finds herself from the world of fame when Jason, the brother of her roommate becomes a Korean pop super star. Though at first she cannot stand Jason and his ego, she finds herself spending time with him for the sake of her roommate. But things of course get more complicated and different sorts of feelings start to develop.
This one sounds like a lot of fun and since I don't think I've ever read any books set in Korea, I am really looking forward to reading this one!

12 comments:

  1. I love the cover of We All Looked Up too! Every time I see it on Goodreads I have to just take a moment to appreciate it. Shutter has definitely peaked my interest now! Ah! Too many books! Great List!
    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover is to die for - I really could frame that photo and put it on my wall!
      Thanks for stopping by Mallory :)

      Delete
  2. The Right Side of Wrong and We All Looked Up are on my list this week, too. The Right Side of Wrong is probably my most-anticipated young adult release of 2015. Well, at least when it comes to contemporaries. ;) I live in DC and there just aren't nearly enough books in the genres I like to read that are set there.

    Happy reading!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in Northern VA, just a short ride from DC, so I am always super excited to discover books with DC setting. Plus I love anything to do with American politics, which makes The Wrong Side of Right sound amazing for me :)

      Thanks for stopping by Kim :)

      Delete
  3. Great choices! I somehow forgot about My Heart and Other Black Holes! I'm really looking forward to that one, and that cover is gorgeous! Love Fortunes and Other Disasters and Hello, I Love You look so so cute - I hope they are! Thanks for sharing, hon!

    Danielle @ Love at First Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! There are so many awesome books out there to be released in 2015, as a result of which it definitely was difficult to remember to include all of them this week :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, City of Savages sounds awesome and I haven't seen it anywhere yet! Added to my TBR shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does and it was nice to add something else than contemporary to my list as well. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I am really desperately excited for Made You Up! Plus the cover is gorgeous and I just love Matthew Quick's books sooooo, anything that's similar?! I'M IN.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great list! Ahh I keep adding more and more books to my TBR pile... I better start reading :)

    ReplyDelete