Saturday, January 3, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (#25)


"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here.


Stolen Songbird by Danielle L Jensen
 
For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.
 
 
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
 
An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a production of "King Lear." Jeevan Chaudhary, a paparazzo-turned-EMT, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside an apartment, watching out the window as cars clog the highways, gunshots ring out, and life disintegrates around them.

Fifteen years later, Kirsten is an actress with the Traveling Symphony. Together, this small troupe moves between the settlements of an altered world, performing Shakespeare and music for scattered communities of survivors. Written on their caravan, and tattooed on Kirsten's arm is a line from "Star Trek: " "Because survival is insufficient." But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who digs graves for anyone who dares to leave.

Spanning decades, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, this suspenseful, elegiac novel is rife with beauty. As Arthur falls in and out of love, as Jeevan watches the newscasters say their final good-byes, and as Kirsten finds herself caught in the crosshairs of the prophet, we see the strange twists of fate that connect them all. A novel of art, memory, and ambition, "Station Eleven" tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it. 
 
Top Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Chukas
 
Top Five Things That Are Ruining Chloe’s Day

5) Working the 6:30 a.m. shift at GoodFoods Market

4) Crashing a cart into a customer’s car right in front of her snarky coworker Sammi

3) Trying to rock the “drowned rat” look after being caught in a snowstorm

2) Making zero progress with her crush, Tyson (see #3)

1) Being accused—along with her fellow teenage employees—of stealing upwards of $10,000

Chloe would rather be anywhere than locked in work jail (aka the break room) with five of her coworkers . . . even if one of them is Tyson. But if they can band together to clear their names, what looks like a total disaster might just make Chloe’s list of Top Ten Best Moments.

25 comments:

  1. Station Eleven rocked my socks off! I could not stop reading it for 2 days! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Station Eleven at some list focusing on the best books of 2014 and got interested about it. Reading the comments to this post now makes it seem like I should start reading it right away. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many good things about Station Eleven. I hope that you enjoy it and your other books this week! My haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be really hyped up book at the moment - really looking forward to reading it now! :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved Graceling, so of course the blurb for Stolen Songbird makes me want to read it. Station Eleven looks pretty good, too. I hope you'll enjoy all your new books, Milka.
    Have a great weekend, and Happy New Year.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Graceling yet, but I've heard wonderful things about it. One of my favorite booktubers mentioned Stolen Songbird as her favorite book for 2014 so of course I had to get it so I can check it out :)
      Thanks for stopping by Lexxie :)

      Delete
  4. I've had my eye on Top Ten Clues You're Clueless, but I've been a bit reluctant to pick it up because I tried to read a book by that author last year and it just didn't work for me. But I've heard so many good things about this book! I hope you enjoy it and the others!

    Check out my StS and my 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Top Ten Clues You're Clueless, and while it was not a mindblowing read, I did enjoy it. It was super fast to read and I totally was able to see why some have compared it to films like The Breakfast Club. If you are in a look out for a fast, funny YA read, definitely give it a go :)

      Thanks for stopping by Kim :)

      Delete
  5. Before it was released I really wanted to read Stolen Songbird but I kind of just forgot about it tbh. I must look into it again. I have also heard such great things about Station Eleven. Enjoy your reads :)

    My December Haul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard about it at all before seeing it being mentioned in a booktube video a couple of days ago. It sounds good though and like a perfect pick for me when I'm in the mood for fantasy.

      Thanks for stopping by Edel :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome haul. Hopefully you will enjoy Stolen Songbird. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Great haul of books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a while til I read it, since I am not really in a fantasy mood right now, but I do hope that I'll enjoy it whenever I decide to pick it up. :)
      Thanks for stopping by Grace!

      Delete
  7. I really want to read Top Ten Clues You're Clueless, it looks so cute! Stolen Songbird sounds really interesting! :)

    Enjoy your new books! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My STS Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished with Top Ten Clues You're Clueless. If you are looking for a quick, funny YA read, you should definitely check it out.

      Thanks for stopping by Kyra! :)

      Delete
  8. I have been wanting to read Top Ten Clues You're Clueless. I hope that you enjoy it!

    My STS Post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished it with - super quick and entertaining YA contemporary. Not my favorite, but not a bad read either :)

      Thanks for stopping by Erica!

      Delete
  9. Station Eleven is on the top of my wishlist right now! It's been getting a lot of buzz and I'm curious to check it out!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely seems to be very hyped up book right now! I think I'll start with this tonight or tomorrow morning, just to see what all the hype is about!

      Thanks for stopping by Mallory!

      Delete
  10. Top Ten Clues Youre Clueless is actually cute. I hope you enjoy it!

    Come and check out OUaT's STS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it last night and quite enjoyed it - I loved how the events of the novel took place within one day.

      Thanks for stopping by Leydy :)

      Delete
  11. I'm so jealous of Top Ten Clues You're Clueless because it looks like such a cute read! Happy reading! :)
    Stacking the Shelves
    Dress Up That Cover - Dark Metropolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Top Ten Clues You're Clueless last night and it indeed was a pretty cute and extremely quick read. Not a masterpiece or anything like that, but I do definitely recommend it for someone who wants something cute and fast to read. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Awesome haul! I've been seeing Stolen Songbird around quite a lot lately so it must be pretty good. I hope you enjoy all of your books.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like since last week I've been seeing it around quite a lot, especially in all sorts of "top ten books for 2014" lists :)

      Thanks for stopping by Krystianna! :)

      Delete
  13. Haven't seen Station Eleven around but it sure does look pretty badass! Hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete