Saturday, December 27, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (#24): Christmas 2014 edition

"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here

From the library
Set in seventeenth century Amsterdam-a city ruled by glittering wealth and oppressive religion-a masterful debut steeped in atmosphere and shimmering with mystery, in the tradition of Emma Donoghue, Sarah Waters, and Sarah Dunant.

"There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed…"

On a brisk autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives in Amsterdam to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt. But her new home, while splendorous, is not welcoming. Johannes is kind yet distant, always locked in his study or at his warehouse office-leaving Nella alone with his sister, the sharp-tongued and forbidding Marin.

But Nella's world changes when Johannes presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. To furnish her gift, Nella engages the services of a miniaturist-an elusive and enigmatic artist whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in eerie and unexpected ways . . .

Johannes' gift helps Nella to pierce the closed world of the Brandt household. But as she uncovers its unusual secrets, she begins to understand-and fear-the escalating dangers that await them all. In this repressively pious society where gold is worshipped second only to God, to be different is a threat to the moral fabric of society, and not even a man as rich as Johannes is safe. Only one person seems to see the fate that awaits them. Is the miniaturist the key to their salvation . . . or the architect of their destruction?

Enchanting, beautiful, and exquisitely suspenseful, The Miniaturist is a magnificent story of love and obsession, betrayal and retribution, appearance and truth.

From my JALS (Jane Austen Ladies Society) Secret Santa
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young 
Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare ...

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well - until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street, where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he's determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won't be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her . . . down to the very soul.


Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

 Ebooks
Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke

Hot girls get the fairy tales. No one cares about the stepsisters' story. Those girls don't get a sweet little ending; they get a lifetime of longing
Imogen Keegen has never had a happily ever after–in fact, she doesn’t think they are possible. Ever since her mother’s death seven years ago, Imogen has pulled herself in and out of therapy, struggled with an “emotionally disturbed” special ed. label, and loathed her perma-plus-sized status.

When Imogen’s new stepsister, the evil and gorgeous Ella Cinder, moves in down the hall, Imogen begins losing grip on the pieces she’s been trying to hold together. The only things that gave her solace–the theatre, cheese fries, and her best friend, Grant–aren’t enough to save her from her pain this time.

While Imogen is enjoying her moment in the spotlight after the high school musical, the journal pages containing her darkest thoughts get put on display. Now, Imogen must resign herself to be crushed under the ever-increasing weight of her pain, or finally accept the starring role in her own life story.

And maybe even find herself a happily ever after.

Enhance the experience with the companion soundtrack, Imogen Unlocked, by the author's band, Wedding Day Rain.
 

Magnolia by Kristi Cook

In Magnolia Branch, Mississippi, the Cafferty and Marsden families are southern royalty. Neighbors since the Civil War, the families have shared vacations, holidays, backyard barbecues, and the overwhelming desire to unite their two clans by marriage. So when a baby boy and girl were born to the families at the same time, the perfect opportunity seemed to have finally arrived.

Jemma Cafferty and Ryder Marsden have no intention of giving in to their parents’ wishes. They’re only seventeen, for goodness’ sake, not to mention that one little problem: They hate each other! Jemma can’t stand Ryder’s nauseating golden-boy persona, and Ryder would like nothing better than to pretend stubborn Jemma doesn’t exist.

But when a violent storm ravages Magnolia Branch, it unearths Jemma’s and Ryder’s true feelings for each other as the two discover that the line between love and hate may be thin enough to risk crossing over.

Other cool stuff I got for Christmas



What did you add to your shelves this week?  

24 comments:

  1. Moomins!!! Am green with envy over those mugs, they look fantastic :) I loved The Miniaturist (so much that I've just bought a copy despite getting it from Netgalley) so I hope you enjoy it. Damsel Distressed is on my wishlist, I might get it before I start my 2015 fairy tale challenge because it looks good!

    Enjoy all your new books & box sets and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Moomins are awesome! I don't collect the mugs or anything, but my mom bought me the Christmas mug this year just because I found it exceptionally pretty this year :) I got some moomins candies as well, but that's not really big news in Finland where we can pretty much get everything we want with a Moomin print :D

      I am really looking forward to the Miniaturist - I think it won some type of Waterstones book of the year price in UK this year and that got me excited about it. :)

      I am about halfway through with Damsel Distressed at the moment and wow, IT HAS BEEN AWESOME! I highly recommend listening to the accompanying music when the book instructs you to do so - that really adds up to the story, adding a whole new level to it.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice haul, both bookish and otherwise, Milka. I hope you'll enjoy all your new reads! Have a wonderful weekend.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really want to read Damsel Distressed and Magnolia! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Magnolia earlier this week and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I am reading Damsel Distressed now and it is absolutely amazing as well so far :)

      Delete
  4. The Miniaturist and Magnolia sound fantastic!

    Enjoy your new books! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My STS Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Magnolia already and LOVED it!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. That cover for The Miniaturist is so pretty! On Dublin Street, Graffiti Moon, Magnolia and Damsel Distressed were all great reads, too. I hope you enjoy them all!

    Check out my StS and 12 Days of Giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it is absolutely beautiful :)
      I've read Magnolia and On Dublin Street already - Magnolia is loved, On Dublin Street just wasn't for me. I am reading Damsel Distressed now and so far I really loved it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I have heard such good things about The Miniaturist. I really want to read it at some point! Here's My Haul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be pretty hyped among the bloggers :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I LOVED Magnolia! Such an amazing contemporary novel - would you believe me if I told you that I just reread it this morning? SO GOOD! And omg you're a Pittsburgh fan, eh? I'm a Baltimorean ;D But anyway... I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fabulous weekend :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnolia was absolutely amazing - I read it only couple of days ago andI already want to read it again.
      And yeah, I'm a Pens fan as well as a Caps fan. I used to live close to DC and got into Caps there, buy then started to watch Pens games when a couple of Finnish players started to play there. And then I happened to fall in love with Crosby and watching him play, so Pens has pretty much become the number 1 NHL team for me. :)

      Thanks for stopping by Alyssa! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh The Office is the best TV show ever! Dwight has to be one of the best sitcom characters of all time. Let me know how The Miniatures goes. I bought it a while back but haven't gotten around to reading it quite yet! Great haul and hope you had a great Christmas (: I got a Kindle this year so was able to get some great, super cheap books this year. You can see them at my STS. Happy reading x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Office is fantastic - my favorite sitcom of all time for sure! Haha, Dwight is brilliant and I love the friendship between him and Jim.
      Yay for Kindle - I hope you will love yours as much as I love mine. I got a tablet this year, but I think I'll just save it for other purposes than reading ebooks because I just don't want to stop using my Kindle. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I really want to read The Miniaturist; I love that cover! I've really been in a historical fiction mood lately. I'm interested to hear you thoughts on it once you have finished it. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am probably going to read The Miniaturist next because it seems like it is one of those books a lot of people are interested in but haven't got around to reading it yet. It sounds fantastic, though I guess the goodreads rating could be a bit better.

      Thanks for stopping by Mallory!

      Delete
  10. Nice haul. I love On Dublin Street. I hope you enjoy it.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately On Dublin Street wasn't for me and it became one of the two books I gave a 1 star rating for this year :/

      Thanks for stopping by Kristin! :-)

      Delete
  11. I loved Graffiti Moon and On Dublin Street. Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!

    Jennifer @ Some Like It Paranormal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Dublin Street was quite a disappointment for me, but I am really looking forward to reading Graffiti Moon. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Oh, I loved On Dublin Street and am slowly making my way through that series. I only wish I had started that sooner! Hope you enjoy your haul :) Here's ours: BiblioJunkies Happy Reading and Happy New Year! ~ Bel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately On Dublin Street was a disappointment for me and I probably won't continue with the series. Hopefully you enjoy the series though :)
      Thanks for stopping by and have a good New Year :)

      Delete