Saturday, December 20, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (#23)

"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here

From the library:
 
Have you ever had the feeling that you've lived another life? Been somewhere that has felt totally familiar, even though you've never been there before, or felt that you know someone well, even though you are meeting them for the first time? It happens. In 2073 on the remote and secretive island of Blessed, where rumour has it that no one ages and no children are born, a visiting journalist, Eric Seven, and a young local woman known as Merle are ritually slain. Their deaths echo a moment ten centuries before, when, in the dark of the moon, a king was slain, tragically torn from his queen. Their souls search to be reunited, and as mother and son, artist and child, forbidden lovers, victims of a vampire they come close to finding what they've lost. In a novel comprising seven parts, each influenced by a moon - the flower moon, the harvest moon, the hunter's moon, the blood moon - this is the story of Eric and Merle whose souls have been searching for each other since their untimely parting.
 
One single mom. One chaotic family. One quirky stranger. One irresistible love story from the New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You

Suppose your life sucks. A lot. Your husband has done a vanishing act, your teenage stepson is being bullied and your math whiz daughter has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can’t afford to pay for. That’s Jess’s life in a nutshell—until an unexpected knight-in-shining-armor offers to rescue them. Only Jess’s knight turns out to be Geeky Ed, the obnoxious tech millionaire whose vacation home she happens to clean. But Ed has big problems of his own, and driving the dysfunctional family to the Math Olympiad feels like his first unselfish act in ages . . . maybe ever
 
William Stoner is born at the end of the nineteenth century into a dirt-poor Missouri farming family. Sent to the state university to study agronomy, he instead falls in love with English literature and embraces a scholar’s life, so different from the hardscrabble existence he has known.

And yet as the years pass, Stoner encounters a succession of disappointments: marriage into a “proper” family estranges him from his parents; his career is stymied; his wife and daughter turn coldly away from him; a transforming experience of new love ends under threat of scandal. Driven ever deeper within himself, Stoner rediscovers the stoic silence of his forebears and confronts an essential solitude.

John Williams's luminous and deeply moving novel is a work of quiet perfection. William Stoner emerges from it not only as an archetypal American, but as an unlikely existential hero, standing, like a figure in a painting by Edward Hopper, in stark relief against an unforgiving world.
 
 
Ben and Rose secretly wish for better lives. Ben longs for his unknown father. Rose scrapbooks a famous silent actress. When Ben finds clues and Rose reads enticing news, the children independently run to New York for what they are missing. Ben's story in words, Rose's in pictures, come together in deafness.


17 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about One Plus One and that author. Wonder Struck always had me intrigued as well. Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by! Happy Reading & Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Me Before You by the author and really liked it, so I am really looking forward to One Plus One. :)
      Thanks for stopping by and happy holidays!

      Delete
  2. I've never read One Plus One, but I've heard a lot of great things about it. I hope you enjoy it and the others!

    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really looking forward to it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy Jojo Moyes writing! I hope you like The One Plus One and the rest of your books this week! MY STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Thank you for stopping by and Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  4. Midwinterblood is amazing. One of my favorite books of the year. I'm interested to see what you have to say about Stoner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Midwinterblood already and quite liked it - the writing was beautiful and the structure was great, but I did not really like the characters (Eric and Merle). Gave it three stars though, so not a bad read at all :)
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great haul! I've heard about Wonderstruck and it does sound pretty good. I absolutely love the cover. I hope you enjoy all of your books. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Wonderstruck in its entirety yesterday and quite liked it - the illustrations in it are AMAZING! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hmm, I haven't heard of any of these! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fabulous weekend!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom really enjoyed Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and I've heard she's a really good author. Wonderstruck has been on my wishlist for quite a while - it sounds very good! :)

    Enjoy your new books! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My STS Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Me Before You a while ago and really liked it, so I am really looking forward to One Plus One. :)
      Wonderstruck was pretty good!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Great haul this week. I've heard amazing things about Jojo Moyes books, I've been wanting to try them for the longest time. I hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Me Before You by Moyes and quite enjoyed it, so I am really looking forward to One Plus One, which I've heard is apparently better than Me Before You. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. was looking for a review on One Plus One and came across your blog really good stuff, Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors your site is really amazing i'm new subscriber will make sure to stop by now and then :)

    ReplyDelete