Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas 2014: Favorite Christmas Television Episodes


As a continuation for my favorite Holiday TV movies, I thought I would list you some of my favorite Christmas television episodes from some of my favorite shows. I always find the Christmas episodes high enjoyble and sometimes extremely frustrating, because in many cases the Christmas episode also work as the midseason finale, which ways means a waiting period of several weeks before the shows continue. 

This list is a mix of both comedy and drama from shows both old and new! So without further ado, here are some of my favorite Christmas television episodes. 

NOTE: there might be some minor spoilers here! So proceed with caution - most of the episodes included are at least a year old.


Grey's Anatomy - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (s02e12) (airdate: December 11, 2005)
 
Though I still very much love Grey's Anatomy, I do miss the early Grey's Anatomy where Izzie and George and Burke among others were still part of the cast. Christina is probably my favorite character out of the cast and I think she is fabulous in this episode! Though there are two other Christmas themed episodes in the show (Holidaze from 2009 and Run,Baby,Run from 2012), in my opinion this is definitely the most Christmassy of the three. I just love the shot in the end with Izzie, Meredith and George looking at the Christmas lights!

Arrow - Three Ghosts (s02e09) (airdate: December 11, 2013)
This one definitely fits better to the category of frustrating Christmas episodes with it being the midseason finale for season 2 that revealed A LOT of new things and ended with a cliffhanger. The reason I wanted to include it here is the fact that the reference to Dickens' A Christmas Carol and the ghosts of past, present and future are brilliantly integrated into this episode!

The O.C. - The Best Chrismukkah Ever (s01e13) (airdate: December 3, 2003)
 
Oh my,  I used to be, and I still am, so in love with Seth Cohen. He is nerdy, extremely hot, super kind and funny. WHY CAN'T I JUST MEET MY VERY OWN SETH COHEN? Well, anyway, I used to be obsessed with The O.C. and this is definitely one of those episodes that I remember the best and I think the whole Chrismukkah thing has become of the features people remember most about the show. Also, Rachel Bilson in a Wonder Woman costume.... GIRL CRUSH MUCH?

The West Wing - In Excelsis Deo (s01e10) (airdate: December 15, 1999)
It was extremely difficult for me to pick just one Christmas episode from The West Wing because they all are just wonderful, like the whole show in general. In Excelsis Deo excels in being touching while at the same time discussing real issues from the threatment of veterans in the United States to the threatment of homosexuals (which back in 1999 was even worse than it is now). 

There are some wonderful scenes in this one, from President Bartlet visiting the bookstore in secret to Josh giving Donna his gift for her (JOSH AND DONNA 4EVER!!!). 

Gilmore Girls - Forgiveness and Stuff (s01e10) (airdate: December 21, 2000)
Damn you, Luke Danes.
Also, Narcolepsy Boy - one of the best nicknames EVER!
The only thing this is missing is my baby Logan (YES, I AM TEAM LOGAN!!!) who unfortunately does not make an appearance until later seasons....

Hart of Dixie - Blue Christmas (s02e10) (airdate: December 11, 2012)

 Wade Kinsella 4ever!!!
Seriously, he just kills me in this episode (like he does pretty much in every single episode he's somehow in contact with his father). And the end of this episode - SO MUCH FANGIRLING! 
I think Wade Kinsella is pretty much my dream guy - that accent, the sass and sarcasm, the hidden kindness... OH PLEASE.

30 Rock - Ludachristmas (s02e09) (airdate: December 13, 2007)
Liz's overly optimistic parents and her brother who suffers from "Trauma Induced Nivea Aphasia", Jack's sassy mother, Tracy's struggle with the ankle bracelet that monitors his alcohol usage and Kenneth's attempt to make the people he works with see the true meaning of Christmas together make one hell of a Christmas episode! 

Arrested Development - Afternoon Delight (s02e06) (airdate: December 19, 2004)
Michael and Maeby singing Afternoon Delight - legendary! This is not only my favorite Arrested Development Christmas episode, but overall one my favorite episodes of the show in general. Will Arnett is SO GOOD in this episode with G.O.B's expensive suits and reckless behavior. Arrested Development is a national treasure!

The Big Bang Theory - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (s02e11) (airdate: December 15, 2008)
 This episode is among my top three episodes of the whole show! I love the process Sheldon goes through in an attempt to find a gift for Penny, and I adore the fact that though Penny might think Sheldon is weird with all of his obsessions, she gets him a gift that means more to him than anything she could buy. While being extremely funny, this episode also manages to develop the characters, which is a reason for the fact that it is one of my favorite episodes of the whole show.

Community - Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (s01e11) (Airdate: December 9, 2010)
If you are looking for a unique Christmas episode, look no further - Community will give you that! The episode is told through stop-motion animation, which is beautifully done and the characters are so well thought of that is just blows my mind - Britta as the robot kills me every time! 
Though this episode is extremely hilarious, it also has some bigger issues underneath it, and despite the fact that we see the characters in animated form, the character development in this episode is incredible. 

Friends - The One with the Routine (s06e10) (Airdate: December 16, 1999)
Across it's run, Friends had so many good Christmas episodes that it is difficult to pick just one. I ended up going with The One with the Routine just because the dancing routine between Ross and Monica is brilliant and at least for me, one of the most memorable moments of the show as a whole. 

Happy Endings - No-Ho-Ho (s03e07) (Airdate: December 18, 2012)
A Christmas episode about an attempt to create a Christmas-free day for Jane, who has lied managed to hide from everyone that her actual birthday is on Christmas. While the character all try to get over their weird Christmas obsessions (Max's obsessions to eggnog, Brad's compulsion to dance along with a singing and dancing Santa doll), Jane tries to find people that share her sorrows of having to celebrate Christmas and birthday all in one day.

The Mindy Project - Christmas Party Sex Trap (s02e11) (Airdate: December 3, 2013)
This will probably forever and always be my favorite episode of The Mindy Project. Messina dancing. Mindy's wine bra. This episode made me write so much fanfiction it's unreal!

New Girl - LAXmas (s04e11) (Airdate: December 9, 2014)
 This episode can be very closely connected to Christmas movies, with AV Club going as far as calling it "A Christmas movie marathon in 23 Minutes". By taking place at an airport, it places the characters in a setting in which they can make a decision to go on and change something in their lives, or to go back to from where they came from. I loved the scenes between Schmidt and Cece and though I do like Ryan, the way Nick was there for Jess just got me so hard!

The Office - Dwight Christmas (s08e06) (Airdate: December 6, 2012)
In all honesty, I could have made this list only about The Office christmas episodes with it being my favorite sitcom of all time. But since I wanted to offer some variety and include just one episode per show, I decided to go with Dwight Christmas in connection to The Office just because I think in it Rainn Wilson is at his best and the character of Dwight is at his funniest. The whole "impish or admirable" thing is something I totally want to start asking people during Christmas time.

Parks and Recreation - Citizen Knope (s04e10) (Airdate: December 8, 2011)
 Even looking at the picture above almost makes me cry because I realize that Parks and Recreation, probably the happiest show in the whole world and a constant source of joy for me is almost over. I still don't want to believe that in just a couple of months, there will be no more Leslie Knope, no more Tom Haverford, no more Pawnee. 
The ending of this episode alone with the gingerbread house and the parks team becoming Leslie's campaign stuff highlights what this show is all about - awesome people who have awesome friendships. Parks and Recreation will be so greatly missed.


Oh wow, that was actually quite a list, and I did not even include all of the episodes I first had in mind. I hope you enjoyed this and that you perhaps found something to watch over the holiday season, whether it be a completely new show to you or a rewatch of an old favorite.

Please tell me your favorite Christmas television episodes in the comments section - I would love to know what you like to go back to during the holiday season.

6 comments:

  1. Haha I love this post so much!!! I really need to catch up on Grey's Anatomy, I binge watched the whole thing when it had 7 seasons but then never caught up after that. I NEED TO! I loved it, I kind of missed George and Izzie though because, apart from Christina, they were my favourite characters. SETH COHEN <3 Yes! And that is one of my favourite O.C episodes. And I adore that episode of the Big Bang too, it's one of the best ones of the whole show. I am far too obsessed with The Office, after only discovering it this year, I've watched every season about 20 times already. Dwight and Jim together are just too funny and that episode has great moments between the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was a lot of fun to make - I do have to admit that I ended up watching a couple of episodes of The Office while trying to decide which episode to include. :)
      Grey's Anatomy is super melodramatic and kind of unbelievable at points, but it is one of those shows I've watched all the way from the beginning when it started back in the 2000s, so that's why I still keep watching it despite some issues I occasionally have with it.
      Seth Cohen is flawless - I miss him so much!

      Haha, good to know there are others who are obsessed with The Office - that show is just so good! Dwight and Jim are brilliant together - I love the episode in which Jim dresses up as Dwight. Also the morse code episode (Jim and Pam learn morse code to annoy Dwight) is brilliant.

      Thanks for stopping by! It is great to get comments to posts other than reviews or weekly features :)

      Delete
  2. As a TV addict, I love this post! I love everything about Gilmore Girls that's def my all time fav TV series. I also need to catch up on Grey's I'm halfway in Season 10 at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, my fellow TV addict!! This post was so much fun to do and definitely made me want to go back to some of these episodes and watch them again.
      Gilmore Girls is brilliant and I love to talk about it with people who have watched the whole series because I always get into interesting arguments about why I am Team Logan and not Team Jess. :D

      You definitely should catch up with Grey's - it gets pretty intense!

      Delete
  3. I've seen Hart of Dixie (WADE), The Big Bang Theory (SHELDON/PENNY HUG), and Friends (DANCE ROUTINE). Those are some excellent choices! Come on, how can you resist Wade, I mean... it's Wade.
    I also really like That '70s Show's Christmas episodes. I don't know the names, but it's my favourite show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wade is just so DREAMY... I mean, seriously, he is pretty much perfection. The whole bad boy image that he tries to keep when in reality he is kind of a softie just gets me every single time :D
      I haven't really watched that much of That 70s Show, mainly because for some reason I just cannot stand Ashton Kutcher :D

      Delete