Friday, September 5, 2014

Fall Television Preview #1: ABC


It is time for the first fall television preview post and I am EXCITED!

This post will focus on shows that are originally aired by ABC.

NOTE: THERE MIGHT BE SOME SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THE RETURNING SHOWS. 


Returning Shows:

Modern Family - Season 6 (September 24)

I've been watching Modern Family for a couple of years now on schedule after binge-watching the first three episodes around one Christmas. It might not be the most intelligent and witty comedy out there, but it definitely has its charm and for me, it is not hard to understand why it is so popular among both the critics and the audiences. With a streak of Emmy wins, Modern Family seems like it's here to stay!
Last season ended to the much expected and awaited wedding and it seems like the show will continue right from that with the opening episode titled as The Long Honeymoon. One news that really got me excited about the upcoming season was the announcement about Adam Devine signing up for six more episodes, and not just as a "manny" for Gloria and Jay. Does this mean that something can finally happen between him and Haley? Also, I am curious to see whether the Cam and Mitch wanting a second baby story line will be discussed again in this season. I really hope so because I do love those two. 

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 7/10


Grey's Anatomy - Season 11 (September 25)

I've been obsessed with Grey's Anatomy since I saw an episode of it for the first time back in like 2006. Yeah, it might be super unrealistic and melodramatic most of the time, but it is also addicting and such so much fun to watch. Since I've watched it for such a long time, I've learned to love the characters, especially the ones that have been around since the beginning of the show.

In the season 10 finale we had to say goodbye to Christina Yang (my favorite character in the show) and learned, quite surprisingly, that the new head of cardio actually seems to be related to couple of characters already familiar to us!! It is interesting to see how this plot line develops while also waiting to see how the Meredith-Derek situation is solved (Derek having a job in D.C., Meredith not wanting to leave Seattle). 

New relationships (Owen and Derek's sister), hints about a major break up and the casting of Geena Davis for a major arc in the season are all things worth getting excited about! There also are rumored flashbacks to Meredith's childhood, which makes me very interested since I've always found Ellis Grey to be an interesting character worth focusing more on. 

Finally, there's a rumor that just BLEW MY MIND. Apparently there's going to be a love triangle involving Alex, Jo and MEREDITH. A scoop from Spoilers Guide says the following: Jo is going to be horrified to discover how much time Alex is going to be spending with Meredith and how much time Meredith is going to be spending [at their] house. COUNT ME INTRIGUED! 

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 9/10


Scandal - Season 4 (September 25)

I binge-watched Scandal seasons 1-2 within a couple of days last year, and watched season 3 then according to the schedule. I am a huge fan of American political dramas and though Scandal is not what I usually look for (it, for example, is very difficult to compare to one of my all time favorites, The West Wing), there's something really addicting about it that just made me want to watch more and more. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that it is created by the same woman who created Grey's Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes, and there definitely are some similarities between the shows when it comes to dialogue and cliffhangers. 

Scandal is quite unrealistic, dramatic and yeah, also melodramatic, but every single episode feels like a thrill ride and it's super hard to figure out what's going to happen next. In the season 3 finale the Grant family suffered a major loss, Olivia decides to take up on her father's offer to a new life and Fitz wins the re-election. The episode ended dramatically to Fitz trying to call Olivia while she closes off her phone. 

Obviously Olivia will return with the problems again rising up in D.C. with the re-reinstatement of the B613, but the question I am most eager to get the answer to is "what happens between Olivia and Fitz next?" Fitz might be a complete dick, but there's something in him that I just cannot resist (maybe it's the whole president thing). Portia de Rossi will also be joining the cast, which is super exciting!

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 7/10


Once Upon a Time - Season 4 (September 28)

I AM SO EXCITED, I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT! I don't think I've been this excited about a show
coming back for a long time!! Season 4 is going to be AMAZING!

Season 3 ended with Emma and Hook (CAPTAIN SWAN 5EVER) taking a trip to the enchanted forest where Emma got to witness her parents falling in love as well as learned more about herself and her history. They also saved someone from the past and brought her back to Storybrooke, which ended up with Regina breaking her heart - ONCE AGAIN! The Wicked Witch of the West was defeated and Rumple and Belle got married (without Belle knowing that Rumple has been lying to her). And yeah, then it was revealed that Elsa from Frozen will be joining the cast for season 4. No big deal at all, right?

Though I am extremely excited about Elsa's involvement and seeing Hans as a 'sociopath' (as well as Anna and Kristoff's storylines), most of my excitement is centered around Emma and Hook and the development of their relationship. They ended up kissing in the finale after it was revealed to Emma that Hook gave up his ship to bring her home (SERIOUSLY? PERFECT MAN!) but it is inevitable that they both have a lot to go through before they can fully commit to anything. We'll also see Belle's mom, Hook's modern look (the photos taken from the set look so HOT), The Knave (from Once Upon a Time in Wonderland) and probably a lot of other cool stuff. 

Seriously, I am so excited it's quite ridiculous! 

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 10/10


New Shows:

How To Get Away With Murder (September 25)


The new addition to the Shondaland night over at ABC, How to Get Away With Murder is a legal drama that focuses on a law professor (played by Viola Davis), working at a Philadelphia law school, who gets involved in a murder plot with her students. I'm expecting witty dialogue, major plot twists and cliffhangers. If the show is anything like Grey's Anatomy and Scandal, it's probably filled with interesting, varying characters and addictive storylines. I have high hopes for this one!
EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 8/10

Selfie (September 30)


I had already planned that I would not watch this one, but then I saw the pilot over at Hulu, gave it a watch and actually found it quite entertaining. The show uses the premise similar to My Fair Lady and Pygmalion, focusing on a man (Henry Higenbottam, played by John Cho) who tries to "rebrand" the image of Eliza Dooley (played by Karen Gillam), a woman obsessed with social media and gaining popularity through platforms like Instagram. The name and the idea kind of made me want to avoid this one, but it actually ended up being quite cute, which means that I'm definitely willing to give a chance for the first couple of episodes, just to see what it's all about. 

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: 5/10



Other new ABC shows: 

American Crime (midseason series) - I'm DEFINITELY going to watch this one)

Forever (September 23) - An immortal medical examiner in NYC. Could be interesting. I'll wait for the reviews.

Marvel's Agent Carter (January 2015) - Chad Michael Murray has been cast to this one! Definitely watching this one (hopefully I have caught up with Agents of Shield by then)

Secrets and Lies (midseason series) - Remake of Australian series of the same name. Focuses on a family man who discovers a body of a child and becomes the prime suspect for the murder. Could be interesting - waiting for the reviews!

The Whispers (midseason series) - co-executive produced by Steven Spielberg. Explores what happens when an alien race begins a take over of the world by using children to gain what they want. Once again, really depends of the reviews.

Black-ish (September 24) - A middle class African-American family man wants his children to discover something about their cultural identity. Unfortunately the trailer did not convince me, which means that it is very unlikely that I will be giving this one a watch.

Cristela (October 10) - Focused on a Mexican-American law school grad who tries to find the American Dream while dealing with the problems of her family members. I couldn't even finish watching the promo, so yeah, I won't be watching this one!

Fresh off the Boat (midseason series) - First Asian-American sitcom since All American Girl, which aired in 1994. This could be either a hit or a miss! I'll be waiting for the reviews.

Galavant (midseason series) - "fairy-tale themed musical comedy"; sounds so tempting, but the promo is SO BAD! This will be a fill-in for Once Upon a Time... NOT WATCHING THIS ONE! 

Manhattan Love Story (September 30) - focused on dating, falling in love and the differences between men and women, discovered through the unfiltered thoughts of the main characters. Since the promo did not convince me, I am not going to be watching this one. 


Which returning ABC shows are you excited about? 
Are you planning on watching any of the new shows the network is airing this year?

5 comments:

  1. I love me some Modern Family. That girl from Selfie is pretty sweet, so I might check it out, but I get the feeling it won't last long
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern Family really is brilliant! Can't wait to see some Phil again on my screen - I am pretty sure he's one of the most perfect fictional guys ever created. :D

      Yeah, the likelihood of Selfie staying on air probably is a small one - the pilot is charming and somewhat funny and promises a lot of things for the characters, but at the same time it is quite generic and doesn't really give anything new to the table.

      Delete
  2. I love love love Scandal. I feel like there has been this big gaping hole in my life since Season 3 ended. I am so excited it'll be back this month! Also, I'm expecting great things from How To Get Away With Murder. Shonda Rhimes is my idol--she is so amazing when it comes to TV writing. So, I'm sure this new show won't disappoint! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Scandal, but you forgot to include Revenge in this line up, oh well. I do love OUAT. Elsa should be a great addition. Modern Family is hilarious. Loved Karen Gillam as Amy Pond in Doctor Who.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't include it because it's a returning show which I don't watch - I kind of took the "selfish" route and only included the returning shows I know something about. But I tried to include all the new shows, even the ones I do not plan to watch :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete