Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Post (#18)


For more information, click here

Recap:

Coming up:
Review for Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
Top Ten Tuesday
Waiting on Wednesday
Review for Royally Lost by Angie Stanton
Bout of Books TBR
Stacking the Shelves

What I read this week:
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

What I watched this week:

You can probably sense a theme from these films:


Wag the Dog (1997) - so FUNNY! A lot funnier than I expected for sure.

Election (1999) - I've seen this probably 20 times and it still gets me every single time.


The Candidate (1972) - I would totally vote for Robert Redford

Speechless (1994) - I did not expect much from this, but oh my, I LOVED it. If you like romantic comedies (and politics), you'll love this one.

Death of a President (2006) - Not exactly a mockumentary but more like a re-imagining or something like that. Basically in this George W. Bush is assassinated and they try to make it very realistic by interviewing people who were there etc. I did not like this one! 


Secret Honor (1984) - This one was so AWESOME! Philip Baker Hall plays Nixon in this one-man drama. If you like theatre, you should check this one out because it really presented itself like a good monologue performance on stage.

Charlie Wilson's War (2007) - A find from my mother's trusty Tom Hanks collection.


I also finished watching Parenthood season 5, which means I am now all caught up and ready for season 6. 


And yeah, I suppose I should admit that I watched 20 episodes of Once Upon a Time yesterday. I am now done with season 2 and can't wait to watch season 3. I am in desperate need to catch up with the series before the new season starts (with the Frozen characters) and now I have a feeling it won't take me long to catch up because oh my, I was once again reminded why I fell in love with this show in the first place. 


Oh yeah, I almost forgot this one. I did watch the Outlander episode and I LOVED IT. I really want to read the book now too (at least the first one), but I didn't manage to find it from the bookstore. *sad face* This Jamie guy though... YES PLEASE!

Around the Internet:




In other news:

It has once again been a super warm week here in Finland. Next week shouldn't be as hot anymore, though the temperatures still are forecast to be nice and warm.

I went to that Robin concert on Wednesday and oh my, I've never heard little girls scream like that. I'll add a picture of him to the Instagram section.

I've been watching a lot of political films this week and the trend should continue next week as well. This is just preparatory research for my dissertation (I still haven't set the topic in stone), but as I watch those films, I feel like the topic has started to form and I'm happy about that.

My mom booked me flights back to Edinburgh for September 16th. I really don't want to leave, but I guess I have no other option. ONE MORE YEAR and then I'm done, at least with Edinburgh. I love Edinburgh, but I just want to come back to Finland.

This week on Instagram:

The film student way to watch films.
Robin @ Ouluhallin Messuaukio, Wednesday August 6th. 
I finally finished reading Tahereh Mafi's trilogy and I must say that I really enjoyed it. In case anyone's interested, I'm TEAM WARNER all the way!
After crying my eyes out while reading Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover, I knew that I would have to get my hands to this as soon as it's released. It was released on Monday and I am happy I had the time to read it right away. Review to come later! 
DVD haul! 
The book I'm currently reading. I loved The Duff by Keplinger, so I have high hopes for this one as well. So far so good!
It probably wasn't very difficult to figure out which OUAT character I would fall in love with. Charming is still my main guy, but since he hasn't been that prominent during season 2 (like yeah, he's there, but I feel like the story focuses more on other characters), this man has found his way to my heart.

Follow me on Instagram!

12 comments:

  1. I find film making to be amazing. ALL the details: story to vision to particular shots and scenes. It offers so much creative potential. I would love to see you say more about "The film student way to watch films."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll think about writing something about my studies once I get back to university :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. We're getting hot here now too now that we're in August. The political film research looks interesting, some good movies there.

    The age of Miracles sounds good. I like it when books present a sci fi type thing happening, but then it's about the real people and how they cope and the sci fi stuff is sort of the background for it- if that makes sense. LOL. Looks like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The research has been interesting so far - the only problem is that I seem to like all of the films I watch and I want to write about all of them, and that's just not possible for undergrad dissertation. So I am working on another idea as well - it's good to have a couple of ideas to present to the supervisor just to show that I've really thought about this.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Busy week. You got to see quite a lot of films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm starting to get back to swing with university state of mind, so that always entails a lot of film watching :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. We finally got some rainy days this week, so the temperatures dropped a bit, but all in all it's been a really warm summer here in the Netherlands as well. You got to see a lot of movies this week! I hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fairly rainy here as well for the last couple of days, which has been a total relief. But yeah, all in all, the summer has been crazy warm here as well.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I remember watching The candidate a while back and loved it :) Enjoy your political films and fingers crossed for your topic ;) Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant and still very relevant!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I can definitely sense a movie theme! I've watched several of these though it's been a long time. I'm looking forward to starting Once Upon a Time! It's on my To Watch list which is almost as long as my To Read list but I'll get there. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen the first season of Once Upon a Time twice and I had been meaning to continue with it for ages. Now I kind of regret I did not do it earlier because it has got even better. But oh well, at least I started it now and got to binge watch a lot of it. I only have about 10 episodes of season 3 left, so I'll be needing a new show to watch for the weekend :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete