Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Post (#16-#17)


For more information, click here

Recap from the past two weeks:


Coming up:

Review for Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
Top Ten Tuesday
Waiting on Wednesday
Review for Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick (ARC)
Stacking the Shelves

What I've read in the past two weeks:

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen
Poisoned Apples: Poems for you, My Pretty by Christine Heppermann (ARC)
Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick (ARC)
Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
Fracture Me by Taheref Mafi

What I've watched in the past two weeks:


River of No Return (1954) - A Marilyn Monroe film on TV. Yeah, I'm good with that. 


Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - I FINALLY got around to watching this and oh my, SO GOOD.

Divergent (2014) - In no way perfect, but I was entertained by this one. Also, Theo James is wonderful.


The American President (1995) - Pre-Research for potential dissertation topic. Also: Sorkin dialogue, politics, Martin Sheen... what more can I ask for? 

The Flat (2011) - An interesting documentary about selective memory and German-Jews (+the Holocaust).

The American Scream (2012) - Documentary about people who really LOVE Halloween.


Talhotblond (2009) - This documentary was so freaky - I THINK YOU SHOULD ALL WATCH IT. All I will say is: an online love-triangle that led to a dead of one and the imprisonment of one.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)- Martin Sheen as a creepy pervert. I'm scarred for life.

Sleeping with the Enemy (1991) - So intense. 

Around the Internet:


Fifty Shades of Grey TRAILER: I'm not even going to deny the fact that I'm probably going to watch this film.



Mockingjay Part 1 TRAILER: So extremely excited for this one!



Interstellar TRAILER - YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT THIS ONE! 

In other news:

First of all - THE MUSIC FESTIVAL WAS AWESOME. During the two days, there were a total of 30,000 people there and I managed to see a total of nine concerts (5 on Friday, 4 on Saturday). The weather was HOT and the sun was shining and I'll always cherish that weekend in my memories. Most importantly, I managed to see Cheek, the guy I shared in my last Sunday Post and he was SO AWESOME!!

The hot weather is still going on - next week is supposed to be hotter than any other before this summer. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END?

I am going to one more concert on Wednesday. It's this "beginning of school" celebration for kids (grades 1-9 and high school students go back to school on Wednesday/Thursday) and the main performer is this guy called Robin who's like the pre-problems Justin Bieber of Finland. 


These past two weeks on Instagram:

I ordered my bookshelf/cabinet (+the one shelf of DVDs I have here at my parents' place). These are in no way all of my books, but these are the ones that I want to display at the moment. 

I've been meaning to make some type of poster or album displaying memories from my exchange student year in US for years (my exchange was 2007-2008) and I finally managed to make one after finding an empty picture frame from our house.

CHEEK was so awesome. The gig here at Oulu was his second to last festival concert for the summer. At the end of this month he will have TWO sold-out concerts at the Olympic Stadium at Helsinki (the capacity of that stadium is about 42,000) as the first individual Finnish artist (usually the Olympic Stadium is reserved for international stars, for example Bruce Springsteen has sold it out). So yeah, he's really big in Finland at the moment. I was right in front of the stage and oh my, it was just so GOOD. 

Kindle, coffee and Moomin cookies.

Tar tasking soda. It sounds weird, but this was SO GOOD.

Check out the blog's Facebook page from here
If you use Letterboxd/If you are interested to see what films I watch, check out my profile from here


20 comments:

  1. I love watching old movies, and I often choose the Retro Channel to satisfy this need...I also have some DVDs that some might consider old...from the 80s and 90s.

    Watching movies, even some on Netflix, is a guilty pleasure.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we had something like the Retro Channel here in Finland.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. The Mockingjay trailer reminds me that I haven't seen Catching Fire yet. I bought the DVD when it came out but haven't watched it! I should find it and do that today. Divergent comes out on DVD this week. I'm not sure if I'm going to see it or not. I don't like the casting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to rewatch Catching Fire since I've only seen it that one time at the cinema. I'll probably just rewatch both Hunger Games and Catching Fire before I go to see Mockingjay pt. 1.
      I wasn't so sure about the casting of Divergent either, but I was positively surprised.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE The American President! Love it so so much. Sounds like an interesting dissertation topic! I think the only thing missing from your videos is the first episode of Outlander which is previewing for free. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The American President is awesome! And always makes me want to watch The West Wing.
      My dissertation topic is still kind of trying to find its specifics, but I think I am now on right direction.
      I watched the first episode of Outlander Sunday night so it did not make it to this post. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great week. Glad you had such a good time at the music festival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The American President, it's one of my favorite films. You've been busy the past few weeks! Good luck choosing a dissertation topic, eep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brilliant film! :)
      Thanks - luck will be needed!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I like old movies, that looks like a good one. I liked Divergent and Captain America a lot too, I wasn't sure about Divergent since I hadn't read the book, but I thought it was good. Mockingjay looks great...

    We're just starting to get hot now, last summer was awful but this summer has been a lot cooler. Kinda weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually gets hot here only for a while, but now this heat has been going on for over a month. Yesterday I stood outside for hours at a concert and now I feel like I've gotten a bit ill from the sun and the heat. I was going to go to a hockey game today, but might have to skip that because I don't feel too well.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love old movies but haven't watched much of Marilyn's movies. Need to fix that. Glad you had a great time at the music fest! I saw The American President years ago and loved it. I had kind of forgotten about it. Thanks for remind me! Love your Kindle pic. That looks like a pretty good day. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really got the whole myth around Marilyn, but I do think that she's good in some of her movies.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. The American President! *sigh* It's been a while, but I remember loving that movie. I haven't seen ANY of the other ones you mentioned - but Marilyn is always a treat. Sounds like the music festival was a blast too - though I can imagine you're exhausted now! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The American President is great! It always makes me remember how much I love Aaron Sorkin's characters.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I have Angelfall and the next book on my shelves and still need to get to them! I LOVED Winter Soldier!! It was so, so good! Haven't seen Divergent, but I will. I'd agree about Theo being good. He was a great pick for that role. I'll have to check out a couple of those trailers. Thanks for sharing them! Have you seen the trailer for Into the Wood? Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, the actor from Star Trek... Looks really good! Thanks for stopping by!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like Angelfall at all, but I hope you enjoy it :)
      Winter Soldier was SUPER GOOD. I can't believe I didn't watch it earlier.
      I did see the trailer for Into the Wood. I don't like Johnny Depp AT ALL, but I do want to see the film, mainly for Chris Pine (the actor from Star Trek) and Anna Kendrick.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  10. Love the photos, gives something unique to the post ^_^ Lol I thought that Robin guy was Justin Bieber, still not good that another JB has risen >.<

    My Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! :)

      Robin definitely targets the same market as Justin Bieber did (only in this case in Finland), but other than that, I think he's very different from Justin Bieber. In Finland, where there are so much less people than in the US, not one person can rise to such a fame that Justin Bieber has reached. Also, he sings in Finnish so he's pretty much only for Finnish audiences mostly. I went to his concert yesterday and he seemed like a sweet guy - not douchy at all like Bieber :D

      Delete