Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday Post (#15)


For more information, click here

Weekly recap:

Coming up:
Review for Angelfall by Susan Ee
Top Ten Tuesday - characters I would like to have with me on a deserted island
Waiting on Wednesday
Review for Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Review for The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

What I read this week:
Legend by Marie Lu

What I watched this week:

As I probably mentioned a while ago in one of my Sunday Post updates, I decided to cancel my Netflix subscription for the summer. My brother, who had been using my Netflix account for like a year had decided to get his own subscription of which I heard about on Thursday... So I pretty much forced and begged him to give the sign in details for me because I had been missing Netflix LIKE CRAZY. Well, I got the info and spent Friday night watching documentaries. These are the ones I watched:

Miss Representation (2011) - this documentary explores the representation of women in media, discussing the possible harmful consequences of the representation especially for young girls. I've been interested in gender representation on film since high school and I really found this one super interesting! Definitely worth a watch!

The Woman Who Wasn't There (2012) - Messed up, just messed up. The documentary focuses on a woman called Tania Head, an infamous 9/11 "survivor". Obviously this woman is sick - it is very difficult for me to understand WHY someone would want to pose as a victim of something so horrific and wrong. I did find this story intriguing, but it made me very angry.

An Unlikely Weapon - The Eddie Adams Story (2008) - The name Eddie Adams might not ring a bell to you, but I bet if you have studied history, you've seen this photo (BEWARE - this photo might upset you. It is probably one of the most significant war photos ever taken and definitely one of the most significant, if not the most significant photo, from the Vietnam War). This documentary focused on the life of Adams and his photos and how some of the photos he took kept haunting him for the rest of this life. Very interesting story about a photo journalist who not only took photos but at the same time created history! 

20 Feet from Stardom (2013) - Academy Award Winner for Best Documentary on 2014. Didn't blow my mind or anything, but despite that I found it to be interesting and quite emotional.

Crazy Love (2008) - Oh wow, what can I say about this? Love indeed is sometimes CRAZY and something I cannot understand. A story about a couple, Linda Riss and Burt Pagach, who met in the 1950s and who became to gain media buzz after a horrific event that happened to the woman. I don't want to write too much about this because I feel like it is better to go to it without knowing nothing about the couple and the events surrounding them, but let's just say that love can sometimes be VERY messed up. 


In addition to these documentaries, I've been watching A LOT of Parenthood. Last Sunday while writing my Sunday Post I had watched eight episodes of season 1. I am now up to episode 8 of season 3. 

Around the Internet:




In other news:

The hot weather has continued to praise us here at Finland and I am starting to feel like this is what it must feel in hell - it is hot, sticky and just plain uncomfortable. Our house is so HOT it is impossible to sleep here. I actually moved to sleep on a mattress in this room that used to be a garage, just because it is a little bit cooler there than in the rest of the house. Next week is supposed to be even warmer - I am so not looking forward to that.

As you can probably see, I did not mark Stacking the Shelves and Sunday post for next weekend. That is because I am going to a music festival in my city on Friday and Saturday, which means I won't have the time to do those posts the upcoming week. I am very excited about this festival because I'll be seeing a lot of bands and a lot of friends! Can't wait. Below is a music video of one of the artists performing called Cheek is is probably the most famous Finnish singers at the moment. It probably won't make sense most of you since it is in Finnish, but people always tell me they find it fun to watch music videos on language they don't understand, so if that floats your boat, here you go! The song is called Timantit on Ikuisia which can be translated to Diamonds are Forever


This week on Instagram:

Blue skies and summer heat

I had a little freak out moment when I found Welch's grape soda from one of the stores here in Finland because they don't usually sell it here (and if they do, it's super expensive). I would literally sell my soul for some American candy (those Nerds Ropes - seriously, I WOULD SELL MY SOUL!) Two cuties from Parenthood on the laptop screen behind. 

My mother works in a library and one of their customers had brought in this box of bookmarks she had made so the customers could take them home. I of course went a bit crazy and took several to home with me. I'll probably give some of these to my friends though. 

The city square

I made some ice coffee using my new blender and oh my, this was so good!

24 comments:

  1. Really nice post! Looking forward to your upcoming Top Ten Tuesday, I'll try to stop by again to read it. ^^ Also, I hope you liked Legend. I read it like 4 months ago and thought it was good but wasn't as impressed as many unfortunately. Anyway, happy reading! :D

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      I quite liked Legend and I'm really looking forward to continuing with the series since I've heard that the next book is even better (and the Goodreads rating for Prodigy is better too).

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I wish we had Netflix in Australia, it sounds like there's lots of interesting things on there that aren't available anywhere else! I hope you survive the hot week next week and enjoy all of your upcoming reads & the music fest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite weird that you don't since I think all of the Scandinavian countries have it now as well.
      Today will be the real challenge since it's the hottest day here so far, but hopefully I survive! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Ugh...being too hot is just the worst. I prefer heat over freezing, but at the same time, it's easier to warm up with more layers (and you can always huddle in a bed) then be in summer and just MELT.

    I'm with Jeann's comment up there! I wish we had Netflix, I think I'd be a serious addict. ;)
    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't mind if it is like warm or something, but right now it is just way too hot. I am already looking forward to the fall when it gets cooler. :D

      Netflix is just wonderful - hopefully you get it to Australia at some point!

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. It's really warm here in the Netherlands as well, although the forecast is that it will cool down a bit next week. Sleeping has been nearly impossible :(. Stay cool and drink a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it starts to cool down here as well!
      Yeah, sleeping has been a bit of a challenge. :D
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love Netflix, which reminds me...it's Sunday! That is usually the day I set aside for binge viewing. But first I have to go to the supermarket.

    I totally enjoy Parenthood...and lately I have been recording episodes of Gilmore Girls. Love how crazy Lorelai gets over coffee.

    Enjoy your week! Here's my MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parenthood is AMAZING - I am getting more and more into it as I watch the episodes. I know some events that are going to take place because I saw some gifs at Tumblr, but I don't really mind that. I just take it as something to look forward to.

      Gilmore Girls is the best. And it definitely turned me into a coffee addict. :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Film making is so amazing to me. I cannot think of any art form that is more complicated and reliant on both vision and the ability to work in a team. You might like Tim's Vermeer - It was a fascinating look at how we paint, and what we call 'art.' my Sunday Post: http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/2014/07/sunday-june-20.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, filmmaking really is something. It wasn't the "thing" for me because I am not very good at working in a big group (or maybe I just always ended up with an extremely lazy group and I had to do all the work), but I do love to study films and the film industry and making process.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed listening to the music video by Cheek. My son used to be a film major at college and used to make music videos (just for fun) so I enjoy watching them.

    I'm sorry you're having such hot, sticky weather. That's what the weather is normally like in the summer where we live now, but we have air conditioning and I try not to go out too much during the heat of the day. I've enjoyed Seattle a lot this week because even though it was hot it wasn't sticky, it cooled off during the night and we had fans! Today--our last day here--it's overcast and cool.

    Your documentaries sound very good. And have fun at your music festival. That sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, cool! Cheek is super big in Finland at the moment! I am so excited about seeing him live at the music festival even when I normally don't like music like his - I'm just expecting a really good show.

      Some of my peers from university do music videos as well. The whole film making aspect did not work for me, so I've focused on film studies since I think analyzing and writing are my strong suit.

      If the summers continue like this (last summer was really warm as well), I feel like more and more people will start to insert air conditioning systems to their houses, even if they don't have use for those during the winter.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. lol - yeah, that Weird Al video is pretty funny. There are so many thing on Netflix that I want to watch, but never get around to. My son is pretty much the only one who uses it. Have fun at the music festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get so overwhelmed by the selection that I spend more time picking out what to watch rather than watching something. :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I hope you enjoy the music festival and time with your friends. Stay cool and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to read Angelfall and Eleanor and Park!
    Oh documentaries! I love them so much. Definitely was a fan of Miss Representation. Crazy Love sounds interesting, will have to check that out!
    Enjoy your music festival next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor and Park was AMAZING. Angelfall... not so much. :D
      Documentaries are amazing and in my opinion Netflix is one of the best places to watch those from :) Crazy Love really was quite crazy :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I love summer but not when it's super hot- we've been pretty lucky so far this summer with mild temps but today was hot. Hope you can stay cool , and enjoy the music festival. Nice Top Ten post too- good to see after Hours and Singin in the Rain on there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am fine with like 20 degrees celcius, but now it is like 29 degrees celcius (which is like 84 fahrenheit) and it is just too hot for me without having air conditioning in house etc. While living in US the temperature sometimes got to like 104 fahrenheit, but then at least we had an air conditioned house to stay in.

      After Hours and Singin in the Rain are both just brilliant! :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I'm a total newbie to Netflix, how does it work?

    My Sunday 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when the whole Woman Who Wasn't There thing happened. It's a crazy story. Looks like you've been watching some good Netflix! I think my to watch list is almost as long as my to read list. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete