Saturday, July 19, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (#17)


"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here


Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

"I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ."

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club… and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members–including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started–on the run from a killer.


Suddenly Royal (Suddenly #1) by Nichole Chase 


Samantha Rousseau is used to getting her hands dirty. Working toward a master’s degree in wildlife biology while helping take care of her sick father, she has no time for celebrity gossip, designer clothes, or lazy vacations. So when a duchess from the small country of Lilaria invites her to dinner, Samantha assumes it’s to discuss a donation for the program. The truth will change the course of her life in ways she never dreamed.

Alex D’Lynsal is trying to keep his name clean. As crown prince of Lilaria, he’s had his share of scandalous headlines, but the latest pictures have sent him packing to America and forced him to swear off women—especially women in the public eye. That is, until he meets Samantha Rousseau. She’s stubborn, feisty, and incredibly sexy. Not to mention heiress to an estate in his country, which makes her everyone’s front-page news.

While Sam tries to navigate the new world of politics and wealth, she will also have to dodge her growing feelings for Alex. Giving in to them means more than just falling in love; it would mean accepting the weight of an entire country on her shoulders.


What did you add to your shelves this week?

21 comments:

  1. Dark Places looks really good! I haven't read anything by Gillian Flynn but I've sure heard of her and now I'm super curious! Gone Girl is by Gillian Flynn right? and the movie's coming out really soon!
    My Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Gone Girl is by Gillian Flynn. I read it a while ago and didn't really like it, but I decided to give Flynn a new chance with Dark Places. I am curious to see the film though since I love David Fincher and I want to see how they have managed to adapt the story to film format.

      Dark Places is also made into a film starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Suddenly Royal sounds good, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sounds like a fun read!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these but "Suddenly Royal" has been on my Kindle since it came out. Happy reading!



    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read both of these :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Suddenly Royal was cute and light read! I hope you'll like it. I also need to check out something by Gillian Flynn!
    Enjoy your lovely reads this week! :)

    Nick - My Haul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds promising! I am giving Gillian Flynn a new chance with Dark Places since I did not really like Gone Girl.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Suddenly Royal sounds like a good read! Happy Reading
    New fan via bloglovin

    MY Stacking The Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following via bloglovin and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Suddenly Royal sounds like a cute ready and the girl on the cover is pretty! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She indeed is very beautiful!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. Suddenly Royal looks really good, I am going to have to check it out! Hope you enjoy your reads! :)

    Amber @ The Book Bratz
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul, Dark Places sounds like my kind of read ;)

    My new pretties :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suddenly Royal sounds like it would be really good. I will definitely have to check it out! I hope you enjoy the books you got this week.

    Here is my post: http://justin941bookblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/stacking-shelves-9-blog-recap.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool haul. Dark Places seems intense. Hope you enjoy these :)

    Happy Sunday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got Sharp Objects translated copy, but I think I'll get myself a copy in English. I'm yet to read this one but both of these seem really interesting. Great haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So my TBR list is growing longer... Dark Places sounded just intriguing enough I want to look into it. Suddenly Royal was luckily already on my list. :) I hope you enjoy them both! Happy Reading!
    Here are my newest additions.

    ReplyDelete