Saturday, July 12, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (#16)


"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"

For more information, click here

Landline by Rainbow Rowell (published July 8th, 2014 by St. Martin's Press)

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now.

Maybe that was always besides the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet: A Novel by Bernie Su & Kate Rodick

A modern adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice based on the Emmy Award-winning phenomenon, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

There is a great deal that goes into making a video blog. Lizzie Bennet should know, having become a YouTube sensation over the course of her year-long video diary project. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries chronicled Lizzie’s life as a twenty-four-year-old grad student, struggling under a mountain of student loans and living at home with her two sisters—beautiful Jane and reckless Lydia. What may have started as her grad student thesis grew into so much more, as the videos came to inform and reflect her life and that of her sisters. When rich, handsome Bing Lee comes to town, along with his stuck-up friend William Darcy, thingsreally start to get interesting for the Bennets—and for Lizzie’s viewers. Suddenly Lizzie—who always considered herself a fairly normal young woman—was a public figure. But not everything happened on-screen. Luckily for us, Lizzie kept a secret diary. 

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet provides more character introspection as only a book can, with revelatory details about the Bennet household, including Lizzie’s special relationship with her father, untold stories from Netherfield, Lizzie’s thoughts and fears about life after grad school and becoming an instant web celebrity.

Written by Bernie Su, the series’ executive producer, co-creator, head writer, and director, along with Kate Rorick, the novelist, TV writer, and consulting producer on the series, the novel features a journal-entry format and design, complementing the existing web series, while including plenty of fresh twists to delight fans and new readers alike. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet expands on the phenomenon that captivated a generation and reimagines the Pride and Prejudice story like it’s never been done before

22 comments:

  1. I'm seeing Landline everywhere! xD Yay! It looks and sounds awesome, I just love Rainbow Rowell so much. Fangirl is my favourite but E&P was all sorts of adorable. I've never read any real Jane Austen books, but I loved the video vlogs of Lizzie Bennet. I'm curious about the book now!
    My Stack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landline was really good, though not as good as the other books by Rowell.
      I used to be OBSESSED with Austen and loved the Lizzie Bennet Diaries on Youtube, so I really wanted to check out this book and see how it is :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wee! I also have Landline this week. I can't wait to start reading it. I am a fan of Rowell's writing. Enjoy your haul!

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Landline!
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved "Landline". It is one of my 5-star reviews of the year and I'm a harsh grader. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Landline too, though not as much as the previous novels by Rowell :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I just finished Landline on Thursday and really enjoyed it! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that people are enjoying Landline - I read it too and quite liked it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I've been hearing a lot of great things about Landline. Can't wait until I get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good - I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  6. Landline is very popular this week. I got it as well. Awesome stack of books though.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems everyone has either already read it or thinking about reading it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I can't decide if Landline is one I want to read or not. I hadn't heard of the 2nd one, but it sounds really good! Great haul!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landline wasn't as "chick-litty" as I expected it to be - it was definitely a more serious read than Rowell's previous adult novel Attachments. I think you should give it a go if you get a chance :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Great books, I hope you love them both! Also, I love your rating system. So cute!

    Check out my StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I just recently took it to use since I felt like it fit well with the background of the blog :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I want to read Landline too, but I"m still waiting for Fangirl to arrive. I've promised myself I'll read that one first :D

    My new pretties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fangirl is SO GOOD. Landline was good too, but not as good as Fangirl - I just feel like I was able to connect with Fangirl more.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. So many people have been picking up and talking about Landline lately, it makes me think that I really need to pick up a copy. Apparently I just need to read anything by Rainbow Rowell though, because I have yet to read any of her books. Both of these books sound great, though. Happy reading! :]

    Tiffany
    Beneath the Jacket Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowell's books are amazing - unfortunately Landline was my least favorite one (though it was really good too).

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any Rainbow Rowell yet, heard so many great things about hers. :) Happy reading!

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to start watching Lizzie Bennet, but I have a feeling I'm going to love it! I've heard such great things about the book and the show!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete