Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (#12)

For more information, click here

This week's topic is Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year
(These are in no particular order - I just picked the best 10 books out of the 52 books I've read so far this year. I will add my rating and link to my review, if available. If you would like to read a review to one of the titles that does not have a published review yet, let me know and I'll push the reviews up on my schedule!)

1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (5/5) (my review)


I simply loved everything about this book. It is funny, imaginative, romantic, occasionally heartbreaking, real and very honest. I found it so easy to identify with Cath and I am head over heels in love with Levi. Definitely one of the best YA contemporaries I've ever read. 

2. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord (5/5) (my review)


There are not enough words to describe how much I loved this book! Open Road Summer has a kickass friendship, cute romance and just the best setting in the world - a US tour of a country singer. One of my favorite contemporaries of all time. MATT IS SO DREAMY! 


3. Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman (4/5) (my review)


When I read the synopsis for this book, I knew I would have to pick it up and read it! My expectations were high, but I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint. I loved how it mixed fact and fiction and how the author has mixed fictional characters with historical figures. The only reason I did not give 5/5 stars is the fact that the ending was a bit abrupt (there will be a second part to the story though!)

4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (5/5)


I kept seeing this book around blogs and booktube for years before picking it up. And when I finally did read it on my Kindle, I wanted to bang my head to the wall for taking so much time to read it. I love both Cinder and Kai and the fictional world Meyer has created based on classic fairy tale. I've read Scarlet as well and if this list would have been a top 15 reads of 2014 so far, it would have made the cut as well. 

5. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (5/5) (my review)


After falling in love with both Eleanor & Park and Fangirl, I knew that I would love this book even before I read it. And man, did I love it... It might just be my favorite Rainbow Rowell book. I would love to see this as a film. Also, I can't wait to read Landline, Rowell's upcoming adult fiction book. 

6. To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (5/5)


My expectations for this one were extremely high. I had seen it hyped all over blogs and booktube, even before it's release, so obviously I was curious to see what all the hype was about. I love Lara Jean and found it very easy to identify with her. Her voice is refreshing, honest and occasionally wonderfully over-dramatic, which fits perfectly to the situation, because I think it's only normal for a teenage girl to be over-dramatic sometimes. I can't wait to see how the story develops in the sequel. 

7. All Lined Up by Cora Carmack (5/5) (my review)


When I read this book being compared to Friday Night Lights I knew I would HAVE to read it. And oh my, it was just what I expected and wanted it to be and much more. I had been looking for that title that would get me more interested about new adult literature and I can happily say that this title definitely made me excited about the potentials of new adult fiction. All Lined Up is not only a romance, but also a story about a girl finding herself and her calling, about a daughter and a father trying to figure out their life and their relationship and how to deal with the fact that sometimes they are far too similar for their own good. And oh my, Carson is just so wonderful.

8. Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (5/5)


This book made me frustrated, it made me swoon, it made me laugh, it made me cry. It made me fall in love with a wonderful guy and it made me want to be friends with a wonderful girl. I loved everything about it and I want to read it again ASAP. 

9. Full Measures by Rebecca Yarros (5/5)


The first couple of chapters of this book DESTROYED ME. Seriously, I cried so much. But despite the sad beginning, this book is full of hope, love, romance and perfect characters. Ember is such a strong, likable character who finds herself under an extremely difficult situation. Josh Walker is pretty much everything I want from a guy - honest, funny, caring, a hockey player.... I cannot wait to see what Rebecca Yarros comes up with next. 

10. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (4/5) (my review)


This book dragged me out of a huge reading slump that had been there for months. I don't want to say much about this one because I don't even know how to explain it, but all I'll say is that it is intriguing, well written and not at all what I expected it to be. 

25 comments:

  1. Yay for Fangirl, Attachments, and To All the Boys I've Loved Before :) Been seeing We Were Liars a lot lately, I haven't quite taken a second look at the synopsis of the story, but a lot of blogs are talking about it, so maybe I should check it out, lol...

    Great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people try to avoid giving a synopsis for We Were Liars because the best way to read it is going to it without knowing too much about it. I highly recommend it - it's very entertaining and full of twists and turns :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome list! Seriously if there was one book that I raved about the most and pushed everyone around me to read it would Fangirl! I also loved We Were Liars it's just soooo....you know? =)
    Nobody@The Story Goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fangirl really is amazing! :)
      Yeah, We Were Liars really is something special...
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to see a great review of All Lined Up!! I love Cora Carmack and after I saw her at BookCon I immediately bought the new book. It just rejuvenated my love for her. This is definitely next on my reading list.

    Fangirl made my list as well - so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Lined Up is so good!! SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOD!
      I hope you enjoy it as much as I did - can't wait to hear what you think of it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Yay for Attachments! It made my list as well. Also, I've seen Open Road Summer on several lists today, which just makes me even more excited to read it. It's on my summer TBR, and I think I might have to make it be on next week's TBR. :) Great list!
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open Road Summer is AMAZING! If you love contemporary YA books, I bet you'll love it!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. So many awesome books here!! LOVE Fangirl and Cinder. I really really need to read Open Road Summer (my excuse is I'm saving it to read outside on a summery day, lol), and I still haven't read Attachments... *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open Road Summer is PERFECT to be read outside in the sun. I kind of want to read it again during the summer at some point.
      You really should check out Attachments as well - it's super good!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. I'm interested to read Prisoner of Night and Fog, I've seen it on a lot of lists today! And I am so so excited to read We Were Liars (no one quite knows how to explain it!) Great List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisoner of Night and Fog is so intriguing and well written - definitely worth a read!
      It is better to go to We Were Liars without knowing much about it - I had no idea what it was about and it totally blew me away. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the cover the to Prisoner of Night and Fog. It's so pretty. I don't actually think I've read any of the books on your list yet. With star ratings like these though, I think I'm definitely going to have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the US cover - the UK cover wasn't nearly as nice.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. I have got to read Fangirl soon! I also enjoyed Attachments this year. Prisoner of Night and Fog made my top 10 as well!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fangirl is so good! And Attachments - amazing!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  10. Ah, I want to read pretty much all of these! Seriously, I think only ONE book on your list isn't on my TBR. I love that you enjoyed them all so much, especially since I own most of them and want/need to read them ;) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get to those books ASAP! I am curious to know which one these wasn't on your TBR? :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Nice list! I've been meaning to read Prisoner of Night and For, Cinder, and We Were Liars. I'm still in doubt of To All the Boys I've Loved Before but maybe I should give it a chance one of these days...

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To All The Boys I've Loved Before might not be for everyone, but I did find it very enjoyable! A safe bet is that if you normally like coming of age stories with a little romance, you'll probably like Jenny Han's book as well.
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  12. All the ones I haven't read on here are ones that are on my TBR! Fangirl, Cinder, and MAYBE SOMEDAY? I agree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY. Also, I think I'm in love with Ridge Lawson.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only read 2 books from your list. Attachments which I really enjoyed and Cinder which I absolutely love! There are several books that I am wanting to read. I plan on reading To All The Boys I've Loved Before this summer.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete