Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday Post (#13)


For more information, click here

Weekly recap:
Top Ten Tuesday - Cover Trends I Dislike
Waiting on Wednesday (I was Here by Gayle Forman)

Coming up:
Review for 0.4 by Mike A. Lancaster
Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Favorite Classics
Waiting on Wednesday
Review for Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnic
Friday Favorites: My Favorite YA Contemporary Reads

What I read this week:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Alienated by Melissa Landers

What I watched this week:
More Storage Wars - yes, I've become a sucker for this show.


Singin' In The Rain - My favorite musical EVER and a film that definitely has my place on my top ten films of all time list. This film is just so wonderful.


Hiroshima Mon Amour - so touching, so beautiful, so poetic.

Around the Internet:





In other news:

To be honest, not much happened this week. I, once again, spent the week alone at home, watched some soccer and storage wars and read. 

I babysat on Tuesday and we ended up watching Frozen twice. It was interesting to watch the film dubbed into Finnish since I'd only seen the original version before. The songs were actually pretty alright in Finnish as well, but of course I prefer the original version. In Finland they only dub children's movies, so some of the Disney classics that I've seen as a kid I prefer in Finnish (The Lion King, Aladdin etc). Thank god only kid's movies are dubbed because I know in countries like Germany they pretty much dub everything. We just have subtitles.

I saw one of my friends both on Thursday and Saturday - we went to the city on both days and then on Saturday we also came to my place and I made some American pancakes.

My mom and her husband are coming back home later today and I think they're actually staying here for two nights now before going to our summerhouse.

I am gonna have a photography exhibition at my local library starting next Friday for a month or so - I have selected my photos but now I just need to organize them and put them into a PowerPoint presentation so they can put that to the screens at the library.

This Week on Instagram:

Trying out a new ice-cream flavor and reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone - a pretty good Monday I would say


I decided to participate on Camp NaNoWriMo which starts on July 1st. This meant that I did some work on my Ready. Set. Novel! book this week and actually finished the tasks and the outline for what I want to write. I did not set myself any overly difficult goals but just decided that I want to write at least a little bit every day, if possible, and hopefully I reach about 30,000 words after a month of writing. I've been thinking about writing this idea into a story for a while, but because it feels somewhat personal, I've kind of kept it under covers. But hopefully now I get some writing done. 

Very nervous audience watching Frozen

I had a movie night on Thursday and ended up watching one of my favorite films of all time, Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen's Singin' in the Rain, a placeholder in my top ten films of all time list. 

These are some of the books I want to attempt to reread during this summer.

I got a couple of comments asking about my Instagram account. You can find it from here in case you're interested. :)

28 comments:

  1. Great re-read list! Vampire Academy is my favorite YA series ever. The 5th Wave got 5 Stars from me and I can't wait for book 2 to come out. And I just recently read Before I Fall and really enjoyed it. Glad you got around to reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone too. I really enjoyed that one too. I have Dreams of Gods and Monsters in my possession, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Have a great week!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first and second book in the Vampire Diaries series, but I want to reread those both before moving on to the following books. I really liked the first two, so I'm looking forward to continuing the series at some point. :)
      The 5th Wave was really good - I can't wait for the next book and the film adaptation.
      I am not the biggest fan of angel books, but Daughter of Smoke and Bone was fairly enjoyable :) I have the second book as well, but I'm gonna wait a while before I read that one.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the books in you reread pile is just awesome! <3 I love Vampire Academy and The Truth About Forever. Everyone needs a little dose of Sarah Dessen in their holiday haha. Before I Fall reminds me that I haven't watched the pilot episode of Delirium yet. I need to check out Porge and Some Girls Are. Good luck on your photography exhibition! :)

    Happy reading, Milka! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely am in need of some Sarah Dessen every summer! I still haven't read her most recent book either so I'm hoping to read that at some point during the summer! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Singin in the Rain is awesome, I'm not usually into musicals but I like that movie. It's just fun. I see Lauren Oliver in your read pile- I read Panic by Lauren Oliver and liked it. Haven't read anything else by her, but I may- Panic was good.

    Good luck with the photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singin' in the Rain is just amazing - the Broadway melody scene is just amazing!
      Panic was really good but I personally liked Before I Fall more. I've also read the first book in the Delirium series and quite liked that as well :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I am excited for your review on Alienated! Have you done a review on Ready, Set Novel? I would love to hear more about that!
    Good luck with Camp NaNoWriMo!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't reviewed Ready.Set.Novel!, but I can definitely write a some sort of post about it if there's interest for that :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I want to reread some old favorites...have fun! Enjoy your week...love your photos!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've yet to see Frozen but I really want to watch it! I almost have my 4 year old convinced so hopefully I'll watch it soon! I haven't seen Singing in the Rain in AGES. I should definitely give that a rewatch. Have you seen Philadelphia Story with Katharine Hepburn? It's probably one of my favorite classics though it's not a musical. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your 4 year old will love it! I watched it with a 3 year old and a 6 year old and they adored it! :)
      Singin' in the Rain is always worth a rewatch! :)
      Philadelphia Story is brilliant as well - I really want to rewatch that one.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Love the re-read pile. And I love Singin' in the Rain, but it's been a few years since I watched last. I hate dubbing! I would MUCH rather read subtitles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subtitles are so much better! Kids films are alright when they are dubbed, but otherwise, no dubbing for me :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I loveeeeeeeee Singin' in the Rain, too! My friends surprised me to a showing of it in theaters when they were doing classic films on the big screen for my birthday a few years ago. My friends just told me, get your rain gear we're picking you up at 6, haha. Good luck on your exhibition! I should do a re-read pile, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to see it on a cinema screen at some point in my life as well!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. I haven't watched Singin' in the Rain since I was a kid. I may have to watch it again now you've mentioned it.
    Hope you have good week Milka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up rewatching it, I hope you enjoy it! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I used to watch Storage Wars all the time.. until I found out it was staged. Such a bummer! I think it's pretty neat that you will have some photographs displayed. I am always trying to take cute pictures... I try to have an eye for it. I probably need a better camera though that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read about that too. But these days I always watch reality shows thinking that they're scripted, so I don't really think about it too much :)
      I just have a very basic DSLR that I use for my photography - these days I just take most of my photos with my phone for Instagram :)

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed Frozen, the songs are fun. :) Your re-read pile has some good books, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs are brilliant! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. My kids love Frozen! it's always nice to have a quiet week! Enjoy your new books!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen seems to be a favorite for both kids and adults :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. I'm curious about your writing - come on Milka, tell us more :) I keep thinking I should finally start to write (I want to write about my experience in East Germany).
    You are right, in Germany they dub every movie / Tv show - well, everything really. While it seemed perfectly ok for me whilst growing up there, I now can't stand it and can't watch American movies on German TV. When I visit my parents I would only watch German productions - mainly soaps and current affairs programs to be honest.
    Peggy @ The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really talked about my writing with anyone because I feel like if I talk about it too much, I am gonna get super embarrassed if I never actually end up finishing it. I will probably do a post about it though if I actually get something done during Camp NaNoWriMo. I guess I would call it New Adult fiction (the main character is in college). What makes it personal is that the main character deals with the death of her father, which is something I've gone through as well.

      Your inspiration for writing sounds very interesting - I hope you one day begin writing it down! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. someone actually linked me to the multilanguage song for Let It Go. I'm addicted to finding the full songs in other languages - not snippets! Have a great week Milka! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Finnish version wasn't in the multilanguage version Disney posted, but it can be found from Youtube :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete