Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Release Date: May 13, 2014 (expected publication) (review copy received from Netgalley)
Info about the author: Goodreads - Twitter - Website
Publishe

r: Delacorte Press
Age group: YA
Pages: 240
Buy the book: Amazon - The Book Depository
Rating: 4/5
Description (from Goodreads):

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE. 

My thoughts:

I can't believe I had not even heard about this one before I got it to my hands (in early March). I've been so busy with university tasks lately that I literally haven't had any time for anything else than writing essays, reading and watching films for my seminars. I had been looking for that one book that would take me out of the reading slump I've been in, and I can honestly say that We Are Liars pulled me out from the slump with force. 

Cadence Sinclair is from a rich, all-American family - she is beautiful, rich and distinguished. She spends every summer at the private island her family owns - the island is a world of its own, filled with big, beautiful houses, good food and of course her dearest friends. But as they grow older, they realize that their family might not be all that it seems to be to the outside world. Then something happens during Cadence's 15th summer at the island and everything changes. 

This book is a difficult one to review because I don't want to give anything away. But what I can say is that We Are Liars is super exciting, tension filled and will definitely keep you interested until the last page. The characters are interesting, especially Cadence, and it is interesting to follow how she tries to figure out what happened to her at the island. The way Lockhart described Cadence's feelings and thoughts is very poetic and a pleasure to read. 

I couldn't put this one down. So if you are looking for a perfect early summer read, this is it! 

6 comments:

  1. I've been hearing good things about this one and am just gonna cave a get myself a copy because the premise seems really interesting. I like stories that are not only exciting but have characters that are intriguing. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should give this one a go! It's really fast to read and extremely hard to put down. But also super difficult to review due to which my review is extremely short since I did not want to spoil it for anyone. :)

      Delete
  2. It's funny--this one helped me get out of my book funk, too. I just posted a review for it myself. I loved the writing style for this one and even though I figured out the twist pretty early on, was intrigued by the how of it all. I'm glad you enjoyed this, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the fact that it is so intriguing made me want to keep reading on and eventually made me realize that I want to read other books as well. I have a tendency to fall in so reading slumps usually around mid-semester when I am supposed to work on several essays and films and such and when I actually do have free time, I just end up scrolling down my Tumblr dashboard for hours...

      I will definitely come and check out your review!

      Delete
  3. i loved this one, too! i read it back when i first got it in January, which was an epic mistake because then i HAD to post my review and then of course, that was way too early. womp womp. i'm excited to start talking about this one with people though because it's SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I read this book in December, right after I was approved. Couldn't wait till May.

    It wrecked me. I was shocked with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete