Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (#5)

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating."

For more information, click here

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
Expected publication September 30th by Harlequin Teen


In 1959 Virginia, the lives of two girls on opposite sides of the battle for civil rights will be changed forever.

Sarah Dunbar is one of the first black students to attend the previously all-white Jefferson High School. An honors student at her old school, she is put into remedial classes, spit on and tormented daily.

Linda Hairston is the daughter of one of the town’s most vocal opponents of school integration. She has been taught all her life that the races should be kept “separate but equal.”

Forced to work together on a school project, Sarah and Linda must confront harsh truths about race, power and how they really feel about one another.

Boldly realistic and emotionally compelling, Lies We Tell Ourselves is a brave and stunning novel about finding truth amid the lies, and finding your voice even when others are determined to silence it.

This is set in Virginia, where I lived for a while, so that's cool! Also, I really have an interest in the time period this novel is set in (I've done quite a bit of research on cinema of that time), so I am really interested to see how this turns out. 


14 comments:

  1. This one seems really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in VA, so this would definitely be an interesting read to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! I miss VA so much!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I cannot WAIT for this one! Such a great pick, I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that I'll really like this one :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This isn't my usual kind of read, but I'm also very interested in the time period so I think I need to check this one out! Thanks so much for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - good to hear that this post made you interested :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I just heard about this one on a friend's WoW last week and it sounds really interesting! Definitely like something that needs to be read. Great pick! :D

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that's a coincidence since I've been watching The Butler while reading your post.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's cool! I still haven't seen The Butler... Didn't hear the best things about it, but I want to watch it at some point.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This one sounds so good, I like books set in this time period and it's great that it's written for a teen audience. Great pick!
    Thanks for stopping by my WoW :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that with books like this younger readers get more aware of the issues that have been problematic (and still somewhat are).

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete