Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Post (#5)


For more information, click here

Weekly Recap:
The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas (Review) (****)
Waiting on Wednesday - The One by Kiera Cass
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (Review) (*****)

Coming up:
Review for We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Review for The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Top Ten Tuesday (Top Ten Book Covers I'd Frame as Pieces of Art)
Waiting on Wednesday
Stacking the Shelves

What I read this week:
The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2) (I am about halfway through with this one at the moment)

What I watched this week:

SHOWS:

The Big Bang Theory (I actually quite liked this weeks episode, though I still don't know what to think about emotional Sheldon)
The Mindy Project (the season finale is in a couple of days and I'm nervous and excited)
Playing House (If you like sitcoms, WATCH THIS!)
Modern Family

FILMS:

Mean Girls (it was the 10 year anniversary of the release of this film this week!)
The Princess Diaries
The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Saved!
Enchanted
In Your Eyes (A really imaginative, romantic film written by Joss Whedon)
Drinking Buddies

Around the blogosphere:
Tammy over at Books, Bones and Buffy posted "Losing Your Mind When You Don't Have Time to Blog"
Reviews from a Bookworm posted about Not-So-Favorite leading male characters in YA books

Around the Internet:
To celebrate the 15th anniversary of The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot is releasing two novels featuring the oh-so-awesome Princess Mia, one for middle grade readers and one for adults. In the adult novel, Mia is about to get married with ONE OF THE DREAMIEST FICTIONAL GUYS EVER but there's problems with someone trying to usurp to the throne (sounds suspiciously like Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement). The middle grade novel will focus on Olivia Grace, a girl from New Jersey, who finds out that she's Princess Mia's half-sister and a princess. The novel will be illustrated by Cabot herself. 



Were you a fan of The Princess Diaries books? I was a HUGE fan, and I still am, so these news made me overly excited! For more information, click here

If you like The Selection series by Kiera Cass, you can now access the first 10 chapters of the final novel in the trilogy from here

In other news:



I finished with my 3rd year of university this week and I'm now officially on summer holiday. I will spend the next three weeks or so in Edinburgh, after which I travel to London for an extended weekend holiday (my mom and my aunt are going to meet me there). After that I'm flying back to the glorious Oulu, Finland (I AM SO EXCITED TO GO HOME!)

Just a quick inquiry: I'm thinking of maybe posting a film review per week and I would like to ask would there be interest to read those?

12 comments:

  1. I never read The Princess Diaries books, that would be fun!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books are amazing! I don't think I would enjoy them as much if I would have read the on my adult age for the first time, but I remember the middle school aged me really falling in love with them - I was a high school Junior when the last book was published, so I guess I kind of grew up with those books :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your summer holiday! Our high school has till the end of May, so basically three more weeks till my summer break away from the students.
    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The university year here is weird because it ends so early - basically I already had April off as well from lectures and seminars and just had to focus on essay writing. I remember school year extending to late March/early June when I was still in Finland.

      Thank you for stopping by and good luck with those three weeks! :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finishing your third year...and enjoy the summer break. Looks like you're all set with books and films.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am extremely relieved and relaxed now that it's over and I only have one more year to go... the panic about my future plans has not yet fully settled in.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your break, and Edinburgh! I think film reviews are nice, it's always good to see what people think of movies as well as books. I'll check out your review of Attachments, and curious to see what you think of Clash of Kings when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of counting the days to get out of Edinburgh, but maybe just because I live here, so it does not really feel like holiday. :) But thanks anyway :D

      I'm probably going to write a couple of film reviews to my drafts and then publish them if I don't have other stuff to post - I just have a very weird and varying taste in films, so I don't know how well those film review would fit in with the other stuff I post. But we'll see.

      I am over halfway through with A Clash of Kings at the moment and I'm really liking it - I feel like it is much more fast paced than the first book, or then it just feels like that because I know the character better. I am really looking forward to finishing with the book so I can watch season 2 of the show after that.

      Delete
  5. I love The Big Bang Theory and it's one of the rare shows that is on every night and I always watch it before I go to sleep. Sheldon is the man! :D I have read the first book in Mara Dyer's series and it was meh. I hope you enjoyed that one. Great haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Bang Theory used to be my favorite sitcom for a long time, but then I found other shows that I fell in love with and found the comedy to be better... But I've kind of got back to TBBT recently and I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes of the ongoing season, even though I feel like Sheldon is changing too much.

      I quite liked the the first book in the Mara Dyer series and enjoyed the second book as well. I found the paranormal element kind of unnecessary first, but I feel like the second book further extended it and made it plausible.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. So many good things going on here! I need to read The Selection series. Need to read Attachments too. Really enjoy the Mara Dyer series. Can't wait to see how it all ends. Hope you enjoying A Clash of Kings. I'm reading A Dance with Dragons now. :) Hope you have a great week!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attachments was so good - pretty much read it on one sitting because I wasn't able to put it down. I am really looking forward to seeing how the Mara Dyer series ends as well and I'm thinking of probably re-reading the first two books during the summer just because I found them highly entertaining.

      I am over halfway through with A Clash of Kings and I'm really enjoying it. I will probably try to read some of the other books in the series as well during my summer break so I can catch up with the show (I don't want to watch the show before I've read the books - I've seen season 1 though)

      Delete