Monday, April 14, 2014

My 23rd birthday & 23 years of New York Times Best Sellers


I am 23 today! WOOHOO. 

Since I don't really have any fun birthday plans I could post about  because I'm doing my b-day celebrations in London in May with my mom and my aunt, I thought I would look into the New York Times Best Sellers from the past 23 years to see what type of books were selling well each year at the time of my birthday. 

So my birthday is April 14th, but since the best sellers list is not published every single day, I'll post the book from the date closest to my birthday.



April 14, 1991 -Heartbeat by Danielle Steel (A chance meeting of a man and a woman, both with successful careers in television, enables them to solve their marital and romantic problems.)

April 12, 1992 - The Pelican Brief by John Grisham (A woman law student seeks to discover the truth about the murder of two Supreme Court justices.)

April 11, 1993 - The Client by John Grisham (A deadly secret, revealed by a lawyer just before he commits suicide, presents serious problems for an 11-year-old boy.)

April 17, 1994 - The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (An ancient manuscript, found in Peru, provides insights into achieving a fulfilling life.)

April 16, 1995 - The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (DAMN, by this point the book has been 59 weeks on the list....)

April 14, 1996 - Primary Colors by Anonymous (The progress of a certain Southern governor and his wife on their way to the White House.)

April 13, 1997 - The Partner by John Grisham (The pursuit of $90 million stolen by a Mississippi lawyer who has apparently died and been cremated - but is actually hiding in Brazil.)

April 12, 1998 - The Street Lawyer by John Grisham (A young lawyer comes to terms with himself after discovering his prestigious firm's dirty secret.)

April 11, 1999 - The Testament by John Grisham (A reclusive billionaire, a burned-out lawyer and a missionary are brought together by a startling secret.)

April 16, 2000 - The Brethren by John Grisham (Three former judges, doing time at a federal prison in Florida, concoct a mail scam that goes awry.)

April 15, 2001 - Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (In the woods of Maine, four hunters who have been friends since boyhood encounter a disorientated stranger and a dangerous creature from another world.)

April 14, 2002 - Everything's Eventual by Stephen King (A collection of 14 "dark tales" about the strange and the supernatural.)

April 13, 2003 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.)

April 11, 2004 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (by this point, this has been on the list for 54 weeks)

April 17, 2005 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (by this point, this has been on the list for 107 weeks)

April 16, 2006 - Gone by Jonathan Kellerman (Two acting students stage their own disappearance - but then one of them is murdered. The psychologist-detective Alex Delaware investigates.)

April 15, 2007 - Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (The aftermath of a high school shooting reveals the fault lines in a small New Hampshire town.)

April 13, 2008 - Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman (Several Los Angeles women are murdered, and the psychologist-detective Alex Delaware investigates.)

April 12, 2009 - True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman (In the 24th Alex Delaware novel, the interracial half-brothers from "Bones" investigate a young woman's death.)

April 11, 2010 - Caught by Harlan Coben (A suburban girl goes missing.)

April 17, 2011 - The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel (The latest volume in a series that began with "The Clan of the Cave Bear", set during the ice age.)

April 15, 2012 - Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward (Book 10 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.)

April 14, 2013 - Lover at Last by J.R. Ward (Book 11 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.)

April 13, 2014 - NYPD Red 2 by James Patterson and Marshall Karp (Detective Zach Jordan and his partner are called when the body of a wealthy woman is discovered on the Central Park carousel; the second book in a new series.)

So there we go... I have only read one of these books featured on this list: The Da Vinci Code. James Patterson is a familiar author to me through couple of Alex Cross novels I've read. After seeing John Grisham so much, I thought that I should probably read something by him. 

Also that Jodi Picoult book sounds interesting. Has any of you read it? Is it any good?

Have you read any of these books? Are the any books on this list I should definitely check out?


6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! That's a lot of John Grisham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to read all these books? It's such a great idea to post books published on/near your birthday! Happy birthday! :) Hope you have a fun day filled with books!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not all of them, since some of them just don't appeal to me at all. But I'm definitely thinking of picking up a John Grisham novel just because he appears on the list so many times :)
      Thank you!
      And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! I've only read The Da Vinci Code but I love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and bought the Land of Painted caves but I cant bring myself to finish off the series I love it so much.



    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've read The Da Vinci Code too, I think it was actually the only book I've read from this list :)

      Delete