Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (#4)

If you want to participate, please click here

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List

1. Read A Clash of Kings

I read Game of Thrones last year around May after my uni term ended and I've been planning to do the same with A Clash of Kings. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but I feel like I really need to be able to focus on the books while reading them which is the reason I don't even attempt to start them when I was screenings and readings for uni. I'm hoping maybe even reading the third book in the series as well during the summer (or the first half of the third book or however they're divided), so I could catch up with the show at least a bit. 

2. Choose a classic to read for the summer

A couple years back I read Anna Karenina during my summer holiday and since then I've been trying to tackle at least one classic novel during the long holiday I have from uni. Last summer I read more of contemporary classics, so I'm thinking this summer I need something a bit older. I love Austen and Bronte, so maybe you have some suggestions for me that are similar?

3. Finish with the Divergent series

I loved the first book, the second book was alright, but I still haven't read the third book (and no one has actually managed to spoil it for me either). I'm thinking of maybe buying it for when I travel back home for summer so I could read it in the plane. 

4. Take some time to go through my books at home and see if there are books I could donate/giveaway etc.

When I moved away from home to uni (my home is in Finland and I study in Scotland), my mom packed all of my books to these boxes and put them in the storage. There are probably around 500 books there, most of them titles I don't even remember. I still have a year to go in here, but once I move back to Finland, I will probably get my own place sooner or later, and I'll want to have to books with me. I feel like there are a lot of titles there from the different phases I went through as teenager, titles I'll never read again. 

5. Read something that has been translated into Finnish

Since my exchange student year back in 07-08, I've been doing pretty much all of my reading in English. Sometimes, when I was "forced" to read something in Finnish, I remember complaining about the bad translations. I want to pick up something I have loved in English and see how it reads in Finnish. Maybe A Fault in Our Stars or The Perks of Being a Wallflower... (btw, that's the Finnish cover to A Fault in Our Stars.... It's kind of ugly, right?)

6. Read something that has been critically acclaimed in Finland

Since I don't live in Finland, I don't really follow the Finnish literary world either. Every year they give this literary prize called "Finlandia" prize for a writer, and I think I should maybe pick the winner from this year/last year. I read a book called Puhdistus (Purge) a couple years ago by writer called Sofi Oksanen and really enjoyed it (it has been translated to several different languages and I think you should all give it a go!)

7. Read a Finnish classic

Since I'll be doing my dissertation on classic Finnish cinema, I should probably read something from the Finnish classic literature canon (I haven't read yet). If you happen to be Finnish/fan of Finnish literature, please give me recommendations.

8. Re-read my favorite Moomin Books


It is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Tove Jansson, a writer who has maybe had a bigger influence on my life than J.K.Rowling, since it is her that came up with the wonderful and lovable Moomins, no doubt the best fictional characters out there. If you haven't read these books, you definitely should! And if you have a chance to give a go to the animation series inspired by these stories and characters, please do so! I still watch moomins at least once a week from Youtube - always brings a smile on my face.

9. Read something non-fiction

I've been reading only fiction recently (my escape from all of my university reading), but I feel like I should read something (non-film related) non-fiction, since I know there are some amazing titles out there I might not just be aware of. If you like to read non-fiction, please recommend me some titles you've enjoyed.

10. Network more efficiently with other bloggers/make blog friends etc.

I feel like there are so many similar minded people out there I could make awesome friends with (either "in real life" or through Internet) and I'm sad I haven't done so before. I don't have that many reader friends around me here, so I need to rely on Internet to make those connections. I've been so good with making those connections when it comes to television shows (I mainly use Tumblr for that), so why not try to do the same with books. I keep seeing people who have become penpals or something like that with people they have "met" through their blogs, and I want something like that as well. 

28 comments:

  1. Non-fiction recommendations: The Devil in the White City (about a serial killer during the World's Fair in Chicago), 1776 (About George Washington and the battle for freedom), John Adams, Bonk (about the science of sex), or Stiff (what happens when you donate your body to science after you die).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just added all to my TBR/wish list on Goodreads and especially The Devil in the White City sounds really good!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. A book similar (in my opinion) to Austen would be Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. It is a really great book and there is a very good miniseries version f it as well.
    Have fun completing your goals. :) http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/03/top-ten-things-on-my-bookish-bucket-list.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually seen the miniseries, but I had completely forgot about it, so thanks for this comment! I did enjoy the miniseries, so I need to keep that book in mind! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of reading classics in the summer. One of my friends text the other day and said we should all read a classic that we've been meaning to read in June. One by one the classics will be tackled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like with some classics you really need to take your time to get used to the writing and the characters and the different historical setting and that's why summer's the perfect time to read them because usually you have a holiday at least at some point :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. #9 has been on my list for a few years now. I am just starting to read more non-fiction books. I always prefer to read fiction, but it is a nice change to read non-fiction sometimes :)

    My TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-things-bookish-bucket-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of film books for university, and count that as non-fiction, but I would like to read something else as well... it's just so hard to find the really good ones from a large collection of books.

      Delete
  5. Terrific list! Have you read Dickens? Bleak House is a nice thick book to dive into for summer reading.

    For nonfiction, I'm enjoying The Clockwork Universe by Edward Dolnick about Isaac Newton and The Royal Society. That might be fun to read while you're living in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The Christmas Carol, and I think I actually have a copy of Bleak House at my parents' place... It's just so huge that I'm kind of intimidated by it. :D

      I need to check that one out! Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
  6. Great list!
    I want to read the Divergent series very soon! Good idea to read classics during the summer.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, I love your blog, it looks amazing!!
    Here's my TTT:
    http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl/2014/03/top-ten-things-on-my-bookish-bucket-list.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I just became a new follower!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for following :)

      Delete
  7. I would also like to read more non-fiction. I just never have the time!! I used to read tons of rock bios (they're so entertaining!!!). I also love making blogging friends and would like to make more too!! I'm going to BEA this year, so I'm hoping it will be blogging friend meeting overload!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I am totally with you on 3 and 10, though unfortunately I was spoiled on Allegiant! =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks! A lot of people I know in "real life" probably don't even know what YA literature means, so I've been saved from spoilers there :D

      Delete
  9. I just went through my bookshelves to do just that: clean them out. Good list!

    I love how this is a Top 10 Tuesday! You may also want to link up to the original Bookish Bucket List, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll definitely check that list out right away. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Great list! I really need to read more non-fiction too!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! And for stopping by as well :)

      Delete
  11. I hope you find some non fiction that you like! I find it harder to recommend non fiction than fiction because it seems much more personal to me than fiction. I enjoy autobiography/memoirs the most. Good luck on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a fair amount of film related biographies/memoirs and I totally get what you mean by them being more personal than fiction - already with film books I prefer books about certain time periods and people and sometimes it's hard to recommend those to people whose interests you don't know.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  12. Why didn't I know about #8?? In fact.. I am shocked about this. Moomins is such a cool word too. Let's Pretend this Never Happened is an amazing non-fiction book. I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moomins are super cool and the books are amazing! I'm from Finland, so I grew up watching moomins, and pretty much everything I owned was at some point somehow related to them - I had Moomins shirts, jewelry, shoes, backpack etc. We even have our Moomin theme park in Finland. And Moomin soda, Moomin candy, Moomin cookies... Seriously, they're everywhere.

      I need to add Let's Pretend this Never Happened to my list :) Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Ugh, I'm bad at blogger networking too. There are just so many great book blogs out there, and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm trying to be better with it, and have these seasons that I visit a lot of blogs, but then I get busy with uni and stuff and hardly have time to visit my own blog and update it.

      Delete
  14. I remember Moomin :)
    I need to start the Divergent series....

    ReplyDelete