Saturday, March 22, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (#2)

"Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!"
For more info, click here


North of Beautiful by Justina Chen (Published in January 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)

As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face? 

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.


Half Bad by Sally Green (published March 3rd by Penguin)

Half Bad by Sally Green is a breathtaking debut novel about one boy's struggle for survival in a hidden society of witches.

You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch.

You get sick if you stay indoors after dark.

You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.

You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.

All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.




Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano (published October 1st, 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)


On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in best friend Pen and her betrothed, Basil.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially when she meets Judas. He is the boy being blamed for the murder — betrothed to the victim — but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find — or who she will lose.


The Selection by Kiera Cass (Published April 24th 2012 by Harper Teen)

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Something Real by Heather Demetrios (published February 4th 2014 by Henry Holt BYR)

There’s nothing real about reality TV.

Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.


Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (Published March 18th 2014 by Atria Books)

At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…


Winger by Andrew Smith (published May 14th 2013 by Simon & Schuster)

Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old junior at a boarding school for rich kids. He’s living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he’s madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy.

With the help of his sense of humor, rugby buddies, and his penchant for doodling comics, Ryan Dean manages to survive life’s complications and even find some happiness along the way. But when the unthinkable happens, he has to figure out how to hold on to what’s important, even when it feels like everything has fallen apart.

Filled with hand-drawn info-graphics and illustrations and told in a pitch-perfect voice, this realistic depiction of a teen’s experience strikes an exceptional balance of hilarious and heartbreaking.



Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland (published May 7th 2013 by Disney Hyperion)

For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.

Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t. 

When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.

But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.

A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue.


I Wrote This For You by pleasefindthis (Published December 14h 2011 by Central Avenue Publishing)

I need you to understand something. I wrote this for you. I wrote this for you and only you. Everyone else who reads it, doesn’t get it. They may think they get it, but they don’t. This is the sign you’ve been looking for. You were meant to read these words.


I had a pretty good week bookwise, I could say. Have you read any of these? What did you add to your shelf this week - let me know in the comments/leave a link to your STS. 

28 comments:

  1. Fantastic haul this week! I have so many-- Something Real, Perfect Ruin, Nantucket Blue, The Selection, Winger-- on my tbr list, too. I liked Half Bad, but I don't think I fell in love with it as much as all the other bloggers appeared to have been.

    I hope you truly enjoy all your new pretties. Happy reading and thanks for visiting The Book Hookup!

    ♥ Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Ruin was totally something I just fell in love in because of the cover. Nantucket Blue sounds like the perfect summer book and I really can't wait to read it.
      I got Half Bad purely because of the type, but I'm not sure when I'll read it - at least the moment I'm not really looking for paranormal books to read.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Perfect Ruin and the Selection have been on my TBR list for ages! Especially the Selection, because quite many book bloggers have seemed to adore the whole series. Have a nice weekend and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selection has been on my list since its publication and for some reason I just haven't got around to reading it! Perfect Ruin is one that I haven't really even heard about much and I haven't read anything by the author before, but the cover is just so beautiful.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. So, all of these except The Selection and Nantucket Blue are on my TBR. I've read those two and really enjoyed each of them quite a bit.

    Happy reading and I hope you love all your new books!

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) Both The Selection and Nantucket Blue are pretty high on my TBR list at the moment.

      Delete
  4. New follower, hi! The Selection is soooo good, I really need to finish the series.

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following :)

      I've heard so many good things about The Selection that I figured I should read it soon.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great haul! I recently got Half Bad too, I can't wait to read it. I wasn't too keen on The Selection :( I hope you enjoy all your new additions.
    Happy Reading! xD

    My StS

    Ashton @ Morphys Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Half Bad whenever you end up reading it :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Some interesting additions - thanks for stopping by my mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished Half Bad today. I didn't have very high expectations for it, but I suppose it was a bit better than I anticipated. Winger has been on my TBR for a long time. I have it on my Kindle, and I just bought it on Audible, but I can't miss out on those illustrations in the book.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Half Bad just so I can read it when I get tired with all the hype surrounding it and want to see what it actually is about.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  8. Yeah Something Real for both of us! It sounds so cute and I've seen amazing reviews so I hope we enjoy it. I've been wanting to read Perfect Ruin forever! Happy Reading! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Something Real then too - I hope to get to it soon and I'll keep my eye for your possible review of it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. So I have The Selection but still have yet to get to it. Heard great things though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many things about it as well, so I guess I should read it ASAP :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice haul! I have already read Maybe Someday - and listened to the audio-book - and I enjoyed it.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of Half Bad! It looks really interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier. I hope you've had a great weekend.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Maybe Someday :) Everyone keeps saying that it's so good.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. The Selection was fun and I'm looking forward to the final book in the series being released in a couple of months. Enjoy all of your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to read the first and second book then before the new one comes out, if I end up enjoying the first book :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Great picks! I got Half Bad this week and can't wait to read it, it looks really great. I recently read and reviewed Maybe Someday and I absolutely loved it. The music added so much to the experience. I have Nantucket Blue & Nantucket Red and can't wait to read both. I hope you enjoy your books and thanks for stopping by my haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take a look at your Maybe Someday review, especially if you had positive things to say about the book.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  13. A lot of these are books I'm aware of and know I need to read soon. But some of them are new to me as well. I hope you like them!

    Thanks for visiting my haul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously love Winger so much. That book is funny and sad and just amazing. I also liked Nantucket Blue. I'm reading Something Real right now and it's pretty awesome. I really need to read Perfect Ruin and Half Bad. I have HB on order at the library, so hopefully I'll get it soon. Great haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept seeing Winger on so many haul posts over at Youtube that I figured I should give it a go. Nantucket Blue sounds like a perfect summer read, so I think I'm gonna save it for when I travel to Finland and can read in the hammock. :)

      Delete