Saturday, November 26, 2011

Book Review: The Next Door Boys by Jolene B. Perry

Synopsis ( from Goodreads): 

With her body still recovering from last year's cancer treatments, Leigh Tressman is determined to be independent. Despite the interference from her overprotective brother, physical frustrations, and spiritual dilemmas— not to mention the ever expanding line of young men ready to fall in love with her— Leigh discovers what it actually means to stand on her own and learns that love can be found in unexpected but delightful places

My thoughts:


The Next Door Boys is one of those novels I picked from NetGalley just because I liked the cover design. I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab for a while now, but I never had given the ebooks a try. Well, now I finally did, and with positive results.

I really didn't give the synopsis much attention before starting to read. So I was totally clueless to the religious aspect of the novel. Now that I look back, I think it was a good thing because I usually pass the stories with religion included. As I read through this, I actually started to enjoy the religious aspect of the story but at the same time it make me kind of sad because I myself don't have the kind of strong belief to anything (expect maybe myself) that the main character Leigh has.

All Leigh wants it some independence. But to her cancer, she had to miss a year from school, and now, even though she is recovered, she is still under the watchful eye of her parents and her big brother. Moving out and starting college isn't really what she expected; her brother is her neighbour and it seems like guys are giving her a lot more attention than she expected. And then there's Brian, her brother's roommate who first indimitates her, but who eventually becomes closer to Leigh that she never expected.

Cancer is always an issue which makes you think about your own life and what you can be grateful for. I lost my childhood friend to cancer this summer, and I have since then avoided anything related to cancer. I think reading this novel did some good to me because it made me believe that it always does not end the way it ended for my friend. It also made me feel grateful for the time and memories I was able to have with my friend.

I don't want anyone to be taken back by the religious aspect of this novel because I feel like if you pass this one, you lose a GREAT reading experience. The characters are so realistic and all of them fragile in their own ways. The love and friendship portrayed in this novel are so pure and something I myself desire. Through the glimpses to their religious faith these characters become even more real and throughout the novel I felt like these characters became people I would love to hang out with.
This novel definitely surprised me with a big bang! 

I want to thank NetGalley for providing me the review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment