Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review: Love Story by Erich Segal

Description (from Goodreads):
He is Oliver Barett IV, a rich jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law.
She is Jenny Cavilleri, a wisecracking working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe.
Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny immediately attract, sharing a love that defies everything... yet will end too soon. Here is a love that will linger in your heart now and forever.


My thoughts:

I while ago I watched 'Love Story' the movie and cried my eyes out. Probably everyone who has seen that movie has felt somewhat emotional while watching it. While skimming through the database of the local library I bumped into the novel from which the movie was made from. 

If you have seen the movie, you pretty much know what the book is about. The movie and the novel are extremely similar, so while reading the book I did not find any surprises from it. Usually when there is a book and a movie, I always like the book better, but I must say that this time I have to go with the movie. 

Oliver works as the narrator of the novel. The reader sees everything through his eyes and thoughts. I feel that the way the movie was told (also, in a way, through Oliver's perspective) brought more emotion to the situation. Especially the end of the novel lacks emotion which can be found from the movie. In no way I am saying that I did not like this novel. I did. But when comparing it to the movie, I felt that the emotion which made me cry wasn't there.

Love Story by Erich Segal is a nice and fast read. It is only about 130 pages, so you can skim through it in one sitting. It is a nice read for the fans of the movie. It is a beautiful and sad story with interesting characters. It is a must read (and the movie is a must watch) for the lovers of love stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment