Saturday, May 21, 2011

Book Review: Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Meaning for the word Lament - 1. A feeling or an expression of grief; a lamentation.
2. A song or poem expressing deep grief or mourning.


Description (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

Lament is a dark faerie fantasy that features authentic Celtic faerie lore, plus cover art and interior illustrations by acclaimed faerie artist Julia Jeffrey.



My thoughts:


Lament is the debut novel of acclaimed young adult author Maggie Stiefvater, the woman behind novels such as Shiver and Linger. Lament is the first book of the 'Books of Fairie' and it was published in 2008. When I noticed that this novel had been taken to the collection of novels in English language in my local library, I knew that I have to have a chance to read it since I loved both Shiver and Linger.


Deidre is a high school student who feels that she does not really fit it. She is not one of the girls who love gossiping and fashion. She has only one friend, James, with who she shares everything. She is highly talented with music, and she loves playing her instrument, but she feels that she is always categorized with her music, she thinks that people only see her music, not her. When she meets mysterious Luke Dillon, everything changes. Dee starts to feel things she never expected to feel and she cannot believe that a guy like Luke would be into her. But their relationship isn't as perfect as it sounds; Dee can see faeries and it seems that the faeries want something from her. And James is a killer who has been appointed to kill Dee. And in the madness that Dee is in, the fact that it seems that James wants to be more than friends, becomes one extra problem.


After reading Shiver and Linger, I had pretty high expectations towards this novel. Some of them were filled, some not. Even though I really liked this novel, I did not get the feeling I got while reading/finishing with either Shiver/Linger; the feeling that I want to read the novel again right away. I really liked Dee as a character and in a way I was able to identify with her since I have always felt that people only see a one side of me as well. Luke is a interesting character as well, but I did not feel like I fell in love with him which is pretty unusual because I always fall in love with the leading men of novels like this. I really would have liked to know more about James since he feels like such a hilarious guy. 


I felt that the beginning of the novel was more interesting than the ending. I kept waiting for something to happen, and then the novel just ended. Well, of course something happened, but not something "big" I kept expecting to happen. But I know that there is a second novel to this series, and since the ending of this novel was kept so open, maybe the second book gives some explanations to the things that were kept open in this one. 


Lament by Maggie Stiefvater is a faerie fantasy with a darker side. It is a must read for fans of Shiver and Linger; the reader is able to see from where Stiefvater started from. 


Is the second novel in this series any good?





2 comments:

  1. yeah its really good so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finished it already... WOW! i love it- its so cool.... poor James :(

    ReplyDelete