Saturday, November 6, 2010

Review: Trade Winds by Christina Courtenay

Description (from Goodreads):
Marriage of convenience or a love for life? It's 1732 in Gothenburg, Sweden, and strong-willed Jess van Sandt knows only too well that it s a man's world. She believes she's being swindled out of her inheritance by her stepfather and she's determined to stop it. When help appears in the unlikely form of handsome Scotsman Killian Kinross, himself disinherited by his grandfather, Jess finds herself both intrigued and infuriated by him. In an attempt to recover her fortune, she proposes a marriage of convenience. Then Killian is offered the chance of a lifetime with the Swedish East India Company's Expedition and he's determined that nothing will stand in his way, not even his new bride. He sets sail on a daring voyage to the Far East, believing he's put his feelings and past behind him. But the journey doesn't quite work out as he expects...

My thoughts:
A novel set in Sweden... This probably was the first one I have ever read. As a Finn, I probably should not say this, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to Swedish language or history. So the accuracy of the historical facts in the novel; I believe them to be right since I do not have any factual knowledge about that.

Jess is a strong willed heroine living in Sweden with her mother and step-father. Jess father started a traiding company, but now, after his father's death, Jess believes her inheritance is tried to be swindled away from her. Jess also hates her step father and is pretty sure he turns all her suitors away so he does not have to pay the dowry for the coming suitors. Then here is Killian. A handsome gambler from Scotland. Jess does not really know what to think about Killian; she is both intrigued and infuriated. In order to recover her fortune, she proposes a marriage of convience. What either Killian nor Jess understand is that they are the perfect match.

What I liked about this story was the fact that it took place in different places. To be honest, the whole Swedish thing did not sound very good to me at the beginning, but I was positively surprised about those parts. Some action also happens in Scotland, which I saw as very interesting because I am probably moving there next year. So reading something about 1700's Scotland was interesting. Then there is a sea voyage to China, which must have been long and dull during the 1700s.

Other thing I really liked was the fact that Jess and Killian just don't magically fall in love. It takes time and they both need to do decisions and fight to get to the point where they realize that they love each other.

I am not really a big fan of historical romance, but I think that the ones that like that type of books will love this one.

5 comments:

  1. I have this one on my wishlist and your review makes me happy! I love historical romances and they're not usually set in Sweden, so that intrigues me. Wow, you're moving to Scotland next year? I envy you now!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hopefully. I am applying to universities there, and hopefully I get in on of them. At least I have been working like a maniac to get good grades in order to get to Uni.... I really do not want to stay in Finland and study, so getting in there would be a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one; sounds very interesting. Oh, I would love it if you went to Scotland! My ancestors are from there and I'd love to get your impressions of the place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I really hope I get to tell you my impressions next fall! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read one review of this book previously and I think it sounds good. I love some history every now and then. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete