Thursday, September 2, 2010

Book Review: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Published: July 20th, 2010 by Scholastic UK ltd.
Description (from Goodreads):
In Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past…and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves…and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love–the light and the dark, the warm and the cold–in a way you will never forget.

My thoughts:
I adored Shiver and I could not wait to read this book. I knew I would love it as well. And I did. A lot.

Sam, once a wolf, now a boy. He is in love with Grace, who has been bitten by a wolf, but she never turned to one. They seem to be the perfect couple, soulmates. But something is happening inside Grace. She gets horrible headaches and she feels like under her skin, there is something or someone who tries to get out. Sam notices it also, especially when he smells the wolf in her. 

Cole. A rockstar known to everyone. By using drugs, he has been able to hide the reality. But it was not enough. Beck changed him into a wolf, but know it seems that it does not work. Cole does not change to be a wolf even though he would like to. When he meets Isabel, there is something between them, but could it be something Grace and Sam have?

The story in Linger is told through 4 different narrators; Sam, Grace, Cole and Isabel. I really liked the fact that Stiefvater decided to use all of these four characters as narrators. It gives more insight to the story and it also makes it more personal, telling the reader more about the feelings and thoughts these characters have. 

Linger was as good as I expected. Maybe even better. I can't believe we will have to wait to summer 2011 to get to know what happens to Grace and Sam and to Cole and Isabel. To the ones who liked 'Shiver', Linger is a must-read!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine that this book would be better than Shiver, but it was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just skimmed through the review to avoid spoilers, but I can't wait to tackle this book series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi E., I also think that I liked this one more than Shiver. But it might be because I read Shiver translated to Finnish, and the translation pretty much sucked...

    Irena, I hope you get to read Shiver and Linger soon, they are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one i read in about 2 hours after purchasing, it was great! I recommend this book to all teens (me being a teen also :] ) anyhoo I hope anyone that thinks of checking it out enjoys it :]
    also.. if anyone wants to reccomend books to me im open to ideas... running out of books to read.

    ReplyDelete