Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Best Reads of Summer Holiday 2010

The beginning of school tomorrow means the end for my 2 and half months holiday. It has been very relaxing just to be at home, sleep long, watch movies and TV and read books. But in a way, I am waiting for the school year to start; I know I will be extremely busy and stressed, but I just can't wait for next year when I graduate and finally finish with high school. To celebrate the last day of my holiday, I decided to post something about the best books I've read during the summer 2010. Hopefully you are able to find some great books to read from my list. (: By clicking the name of the title you will be taken to my review. 


A Season of Eden by J.M Warwick 
-Couple of years ago I fell in love with 'Teach Me' by R.A. Nelson. Teach Me is a story about a girl who falls in love with her high school teacher. When I saw 'A Season of Eden' reviewed at one of the blogs I follow, I knew that it would be a title I would probably love. I was fortunate enough to get a review copy of the title sent to me. I loved the story, the characters, and writing style of J.M. Warwick. The fact that the book tells about a relationship, which in practice, is wrong, but still, you can feel the sparks between the main characters, is very interesting to read. Do you know any titles which tell about a relationship between teacher and a student?


Evermore (The Immortals #1) by Alyson Noel
- I had this book for such a long time in my TBR pile. I had read good reviews for it, but also some really bad reviews. I really trust the other book bloggers and their reviews and some had really well explained why they did not like this one. After 4 months of waiting, I started to read this book and I fell in love with it. I instantly started to like Ever as a character; she is strong, independent but still very lost. And Damen, he is just dreamy. I can't wait to read the second book in the series, but I haven't yet been fortunate enough to find it from anywhere. :(


Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead 
- I had read so many good reviews of this book and several people had hyped for me for months. When I ordered some school related books from Book Depository I saw that they had a box for the first 3 books in the series and I decided to order it at the same time. From page one, I knew that this would be a series I would fall in love with. I have now read Vampire Academy and Frostbite, and I will read Shadow Kiss as soon as possible. I really want to thank the ones who kept recommending the series for me, especially Juli. (the review is not up yet)


Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
-Like Evermore, this is one of those books I had read good reviews about. The local library had only Finnish copy of this book, and I think that the fact that I had to read a translation ruined my reading experience a bit. But I still loved it, and I can't wait to get an English copy into my hands. I have Linger waiting for me in my shelf, I pre-ordered it right after reading Shiver. Now I really understand all the hype this book got when it was published.


Puhdistus (Purge) by Sofi Oksanen
-Sofi Oksanen won the most respected book prize in Finland with Purge. I was extremely prejudiced about this book; I thought that it would be really artistic, even a little bit too artistic. I am so happy I looked over my prejudices and loaned this book from library. The story is great and heart breaking. Stories of two very different aged women are told from two different time periods. By reading this book you get a great glimpse to the Estonian history, and the life of women during two different times. There is an English translation of this book, and I really recommend it for EVERYONE.


All that Mullarkey by Sue Moorcroft
-A story about revenge, love, and second changes. I never wait much from chick lit titles, don't know why is that. This book totally sucked me in, and I just had to keep reading and reading. Can't wait to read what Moorcroft writes next. 


So, what has been the best titles you have read during the summer 2010? 

3 comments:

  1. Great books! I have most of them on my wishlist.:D

    My best books read this summer? The Girl with Glass Feet (Ali Shaw), The Rose of Sebastopol (Katharine McMahon), Envy (Anna Godbersen), The Lace Reader (Brunonia Barry)... There are more, though, I've read some great books this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to read Shiver and the Vampire Academy books. I've read tons of good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard good things about 'The Girl with Glass Feet'. I really want to read it as some point. :)

    Andi, Shiver is amazing. It is so good, it took my breath away. And Vampire Academy books, so good!

    ReplyDelete