Thursday, July 8, 2010

ReadReadRead Interview's Emma Michaels, the author of 'The Thirteenth Chime'

Today I have an honor to introduce you to Emma Michaels. Emma's debut novel, 'The Thirteenth Chime' will be published on August 13th, 2010 by Bokheim Publishing.

ReadReadRead: Emma, what were your first feelings when you heard that your novel, The Thirteenth Chime will be published?
 

Emma Michaels:*laughs* I think I quite literally shrieked with glee. I think I made both my fiance and my small chihuahua jump surprised into the air when I shrieked. I might be an adult, but every now and then there is this moment that pops up that brings out the ecstatic little girl in me and that was one of them!

ReadReadRead: Can you tell us something about the process of writing and getting published?

Emma Michaels: Writing your first book can be overwhelming. But don't let the process overwhelm you - just write! When it comes to getting published, you're going to run into the occasional (or in my case, frequent) agent that sends you back the standard response of "I'm sorry, we just don't feel that your book is quite what we're looking for right now, but another agent might feel differently, so please feel free to address them". I can't tell you how many of those I received... well, actually I can, I've kept count (104)! But when I began contacting publishers directly? Everything changed. So don't give up! It can be overwhelming, but just keep writing and keep trying!

ReadReadRead: You debut novel will be published on Friday the 13th of August. Generally Friday the 13th is seen as a day of bad luck. Do you believe that it will be a day of good luck for you? Are you superstitious?

Emma Michaels: Some people do see Friday the 13th as a day of bad luck. I, however, think it is going to be a day of great luck for me. I mean, you get to stay inside and enjoy a book on a day that you might have otherwise had to go out and deal with who knows what - how awesome is that? I'm not truly superstitious, no, but I do try to be cautious. I mean, you never know. Just because I don't doesn't mean that there isn't someone or something out there that disagrees with me! But overall, I hope people will enjoy "The Thirteenth Chime", whether they are superstitious or not.

ReadReadRead: You are also a young adult book blogger and reviewer. How much reading book blogs and reviews by others has affected your own book choices and also your writing?

Emma Michaels: Well, I have always loved reading young adult books since I was very young. Many of the book blogs and reviews by others that I have been reading have not only suggested some really great books for me to read, but it showed me that the genre I am interested in writing is doing well and that readers want new books with new ideas! I'm hoping that as my book comes out, that I will be able to inspire others as I have been inspired.

ReadReadRead: Can you mention some of your favorite authors and novels?

Emma Michaels: Tamora Pierces's "In the Hand of the Goddess" and Sharon Shinn's "The Twelve Houses" series. I really love Tamora Pierce's books because she started my strange obsession with Young Adult novels and I think I will always be a fan!

ReadReadRead: I want to thank you for this interview and good luck with your debut novel, The Thirteenth Chime.

Emma Michaels: Thank you for having me and to everyone reading. Your support means so much to me!!!!

The Thirteenth Chime by Emma Michaels
Published: August 13th 2010 by Bokheim Publishing
Description (from Goodreads):
No one knew of its existence until it was removed from the attic upstairs.

In a beautiful house that overlooks the sea, an antique clock has the power to change the course of their lives.

The power the clock resonates will not only force Destiny and ex-boyfriend David on a journey into the depths of one man's mind long dead, but into the mind of a man filled with hatred and bent on revenge.

With the only clues to the nature of the clock having disappeared into the sea, Destiny and David must retrace the steps the man had taken into the darkness, before they fall prey to the trap he had set in motion over half a century ago.

Hatred never dies.  

I want to thank Emma for the amazing interview. Please check out Emma's blog, Emma's website, and the website for Emma's upcoming novel, the Thirteenth Chime.

7 comments:

  1. Great interview.

    I have heard much about Shinn, I have to look her up one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing interview! You asked really good and interesting questions, and not only the typical ones, for example your question about Emma's book being released on Friday 13th. That was great! Thanks for sharing this lovely, lovely interviw!
    I can't wait for the release of this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Pierces's and Shinn's are unfamiliar for me. But I will probably look them up at some point.

    Irena, thanks. Again, I have to thank Emma for the amazing answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview, Milka & Emma! I have to say I love the cover, especially how the clock is integrated into the eye...very striking (actually, no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a fun interview! Thanks again for doing it!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, the cover definitely is beautiful. It really catched my attention when I saw it for the first time.

    Emma, thanks again for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover too! I always love reading interviews with debut authors and finding new books to read! :)

    ReplyDelete