Saturday, July 10, 2010

Book Review: Evermore (The Immortals #1) by Alyson Noël

"But I don't know any of this from spying or peeking or even being told. I know because I'm psychic." 

Published (paperback): February 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin
Description (from Goodreads):
Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch.   Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste…
Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition.  He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets.  Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head.  She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is.  Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.

My thoughts:
Ever has lost her family in a car accident. Her mother, father, little sister Riley and dog Buttercup died. She was the only one who survived. The popular, athletic girl from Oregon changes into a girl who tries to hide herself, a girl who every else sees as a freak. Ever moves to Orange County, California to live with her aunt Sabine. At school she is seen as a freak and her only friends are Haven, a wannabe goth girl who tries to get attention to herself, and Miles, a gay guy, who is like one of the girls. 

Ever can see people's auras. She can hear what they think. From touching someone, she can see their whole lifestory spread like a movie in front of her eyes. She is able to hear what people are thinking about her, she is able to hear their problems, their secrets. The daily appearances of Riley, Ever's death sister keep her somewhat sane. 

Everything changes when a new student, Damen Auguste appears. Dames is gorgeous, wealthy, and sometimes it feels like he is from the past times. He catches every girls (and guys) attention and surprisingly, he chooses to hang around with Ever, Haven and Miles. Ever falls in love with Damen even though she tries not to do so. With Damen, Ever feels like a normal girl, she does not hear his thoughts, and his touch feels good. But also Damen has a secret of his own, a secret which changes Ever's life for good.

I got this book from the library about 3 or 4 months ago. (There are not that many readers who read YA novels in English, so I pretty much can keep these books forever at home without the library wanting them back). I was not sure was I going to read this one. I have read so mixed reviews about this book; some say it is amazing, some say that it is wasting of your time to read it. I am happy I picked it up since I LOVED IT! 

Firstly, I of course fell in love with Damen. He is just gorgeous; dark, tall, handsome, mysterious... the list just goes on. What really surprised me was the fact that I liked Ever all the way from the beginning. I normally don't like the female main characters; for example, even though I love the Twilight Saga, I cannot stand Bella, at least not at the beginning. Her personality just makes me go crazy. But because of Edward, I can stand her. Ever, on the other hand, is independent and strong. She has experienced something horrible; she has lost her family and she was the only one to survive. I can somewhat identify with her, I've lost one member of my family, and I know how it feels; you just hope that it could have been you, not the person lost and you just keep punishing yourself about the lost, you keep feeling that it was your fault.

This book definitely is one of the best ones I've read this year so far. I really want to read the second book in the series, but the library does not have it. This always happens to me; I want to read some series and the library only has the first book. 

I recommend this novel for everyone. It is that good! Just read it! You won't regret it.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! Thanks for sharing! I so want to read these books, and I have Evermore on my computer in the form of an e-book. Now I really have to start reading it in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irena, you really should. This was one of those books I just had to keep reading and reading. I am so pissed they don't have the second book in the series on the local library...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book!
    Which was really a surprise because it sounds so like a typical YA-book and suddenly it was so special and great.

    One of my faves of the year.

    Also I just read the "Hunger Games" book 1 and 2. those are great!
    You should definetly read them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the first Hunger Games book and I loved it! I have the second one on my shelf, I got it as a Christmas present and I haven't read it yet. I am definitely going to read it before the 3rd book.

    Juli, you have been the one who has been praising the Vampire Academy books for me, if I remember right, and I must say that I am in love. I am almost at the end of the first book and I am so happy I bought the 2nd and 3rd book as well so I can go straight to them after finishing up with the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm the VA addict ;)
    I knew you'll love it! Those books are just *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first one was amazing, I hope the rest of them are at least as good as the first one! I think I will start with the second book tonight since I can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the others are great too!
    i loved the second one. the third is cool. the fourth.. well.. take it as a "brigde" to the next book - and the fifth is the best! really, it's the best.

    can't wait for the sixth (last) book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the first three as this packet of books, when I finish with them I seriously need to order the 4th and 5th book.

    ReplyDelete