Thursday, June 3, 2010

Book Review: Starting Over by Sue Moorcroft

I want to thank Choclit publishing for sending me a review copy of this book.

Description (from goodreads):
New home, new friends, new love. Can starting over be that simple? Tess Riddell reckons her beloved Freelander is more reliable than any man - especially her ex-fiance, Olly Gray. She's moving on from her old life and into the perfect cottage in the country. Miles Rattenbury's passions - Old cars and new women! Romance - He's into fun rather than commitment. When Tess crashes the Freelander into his breakdown truck, they find that they're nearly neighbours - yet worlds apart. Despite her overprotective parents and a suddenly attentive Olly, she discovers the joys of village life and even forms an unlikely friendship with Miles. Then, just as their relationship develops into something deeper, an old flame comes looking for him ...Is their love strong enough to overcome the past? Or will it take more than either of them is prepared to give?

My thoughts: I had not been reading chick lit for a long time, so I was very happy when I received this one for review from the Choclit Publishing. Along with this I received Sue Moorcroft's second novel published by Choclit, which will be review a little bit later. 

Tess has been dumped by her fiance Olly just a couple of days before their wedding. Which makes the situation even worse is the fact that Olly dumped her through e-mail. Yes, you read right, through e-mail. After the break up Tess miscarriages Olly's child and gets really sick. After getting better she knows that she has to find a totally new environment where she can heal the wounds Olly has created. A little cottage at the countryside of England seems like the perfect place for her to get better and just to spend time by herself.

On her way to her new home Tess crashes her car and meets Miles Rattenbury, Ratty. His arrogance and meaness makes Tess dislike him instantly. When Tess gets familiar with Angel and meets her husband Pete, she notices that if she is going to be friends with Angel, she has to get along with Ratty too. The new friends, Angel's and Pete's gorgeous children and the developing friendship with Ratty make Tess fell better and for a while, she is able to forget her problems.

Suddenly Olly appears to the little English village Tess has run away by bringing new problems to Tess's life. The relationship with Ratty keeps developing into something deeper until people and secrets from Ratty's past come into the picture. Is Tess able to love Ratty despite these secrets? Is their love strong enough to go through the obstacles of their way?

All and all, Starting Over is a very niece chick lit with interesting characters. It is the perfect read for hot summer days at beach or pool or for the cold winter days in front of fireplace. It will make you laugh and cry. You will fall in love with the English countryside, with Angel's and Pete's gorgeous kids and with dark and handsome Ratty who is ready to anything in order to make Tess love him.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very lovely review! And this seems to be a fine chick lit novel. And the cover is very pretty.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Irena!
    This was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. Looking forward to read the second Sue Moorcroft title which I received from the publisher soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such a great review! I'm really pleased that you like 'Starting Over' so much! :-)

    I spend a lot of time with my characters, of course, and I'm afraid I've been in love with Ratty for a long time. But then I was unfaithful to him with Justin, from 'All That Mullarkey'! I am so fickle ...

    But, not being the jealous type, I really like it when readers like Ratty and my other characters, too.

    Happy reading!

    Sue Moorcroft
    www.suemoorcroft.com
    http://suemoorcroft.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of 'Starting over', perhaps I should consider trying it. I haven't been reading much chic-lit lately, I kind of gave up on the whole genre after reading Angels in L.A. by Maryan Keyes and the first book in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series(I couldn't connect with the main character at all).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, thanks for writing such amazing book. I will read "All that Mullarkey" soon"´, can't wait for it.

    Ladybug, you definitely should. And I think that if you are interested about chic-lit, you should read for example Cecelia Ahern, she is amazing and the books are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete