Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Book Review: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Description (from Goodreads):
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My thoughts:
Since this novel was published, I've seen it everywhere around blogsphere. Seriously, everywhere. It of course catched my attention, but I never reacted like "OMG, I JUST NEED TO READ THAT BOOK ASAP". When I saw that the Finnish translation of this book was coming to the collection of the local library, I decided to give it a try. 

Grace has been watching a certain wolf for the last six years. This is the wolf who saved her from the forest when she was still a child. It is her wolf. One day a boy appears to Grace's door. When Grace sees the eyes of this boy, she knows that he is her wolf, the one she has been watching for the last 6 years, the one she has been obsessed about, the one she cannot live without. 

Sam has been living a two lifes; during the summer he is Sam, a human, during winters, he is a wolf. The winter is coming and Sam cannot understand why he is still in the form of a human. When the weather gets colder and colder, he has to fight not to be transformed into a wolf. Now, when he has met Grace, the girl he has been watching for the forest for the last six years, he is ready to everything to stay as human. 

I really liked this book. I really did. At Goodreads I gave it five stars. One major complain I have is the fact that I had to read this one in Finnish and the tranlation sucked big time. Seriously, I am not even going to go there since I could write thousands of words about the horrible translation. I really need to get this one in English, since I really want to read the whole amaziness again.

I really like the character of Grace. She has been basically raising herself all the way from her childhood. She has a good relationship with her parents, but they seem more like her friends than her guardians. She likes reading and she is interested about the wolfes of the forest behind her house. Rachel and Olivia, her best friends, know about her obsession for the wolves and somewhat also share the interest. As the story progresses, the reader gets to know more about Grace's friends, especially about Olivia. The death of Jack Culpeper, a boy from Grace's school, ravishes the whole school. But is Jack really death? Isabel, Jack's sister, knows that Grace knows something. But what?

Love between Grace and Sam is something special. They've had connection for a long time, and when Grace meets Sam as a human, it feels like all the pieces of the puzzle are put into their right places. One reason why I really want to read this novel in English is the fact that there were some poetry and songs Sam told to Grace, and I really want to read those in English. Especially in those, the Finnish translation sucked.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was a lot better I expected it to be. I can't wait to get my hands into Linger. I am definitely going to read that one in English, the Finnish translation of Linger will be published in 2011. 


This is the first novel written by Maggie Stiefvater published in Finnish, so it is her Finnish deput. Because of that, I can use it in the deput author challenge hosted by Kristi@the Story Siren.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been seeing this book everywhere too. I have it on my wishlist and I can't wait to read it because all reviews I've read have been positive.
    Yeah, translations can really suck, I can relate to this.;) I hope you get to re-read it in English soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This translation was especially bad. I've heard that Stiefvater's style of writing is special, so translating it to a language like Finnish is hard, and in this tranlation, it really sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Milka :)

    The Finnish publishers must be way ahead of the Norwegian ones, Stiefvater has yet to make her debut here.

    I read Shiver in English and wasn't to thrilled about the song lyrics/poetry(but perhaps I just don't get it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladybug, I was so excited when I went to the bookstore today and saw that the second life of Bree Tanner was already there in Finnish!

    ReplyDelete