Thursday, February 4, 2010

Book Review: Mr Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Relive Jane Austen's Emma- From Mr. Knightley's point of view.
Between managing his estate and visiting his brother in London, Mr. Knightley is both exasperated and amused by his irresistibly beautiful, outrageously mischievous neighbor, Emma Woodhouse, whose misguided attempts at matchmaking are wreaking havoc in the village of Highbury.
But when a handsome newcomer arrives and catches Emma's attention, Mr. Knightley is shocked by his reaction. Amusement gives way to another emotion entirely-for his unreasonable dislike of the handsome newcomer seems suspiciously like jealousy.

My thoughts: This is the 3rd book I read from the Amanda Grange JA hero diaries. I really liked this one as well as I liked the previous two books; Mr Darcy's diary and Edmund Bertram's Diary. After seeing the new BBC adaptation of Emma I fell in love with Knightley once again. Since I will have to read Emma later on this year I decided to get some more Knightley to my life by reading this Diary.

Knightley is as charming as ever. It is interesting to read this and notice that Knightley is in love with Emma even though he does not notice it himself. Eventually he understands that Emma is the only right woman for him but there is a problem on his way. Knightley believes that Emma is in love with Frank Churchill and thinks that his changes are gone. Luckily everything goes well and in the end Emma and Knightley get each other.

Edmund Bertram's diary still remains as my favorite book by Amanda Grange. I have Captain Wentworth's diary in my bookshelf, hopefully I will find the time to read it soon.

HOX! I am starting to do this research essay about the significance and role of dance in Pride and Prejudice and Emma. If you have any ideas/suggestions, please tell me, I would love to hear opinions from you!

3 comments:

  1. Knightley in the show the other night was sure better looking than the guy on this book!

    Dancing in P&P is all about courtship. It was the only acceptable way for couples to touch each other. The women all had the dance cards and the more dances a guy requested, the more he liked a girl. Remember in P&P how Mrs. Bennett talks about the number of times Mr. Bingley danced with Jane? And I think there's even a passage where Elizabeth talks about dancing. I'll bet you can find info on the web about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I'll have to look into this one :) As for the dancing...hmmm I might have to think about that... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the answer Lisa, I really appriciate it! I just had the same thought in my mind. Can't wait to read those books again, this time with a highligher, so I can find out every single thing about dancing. :)

    ReplyDelete