Thursday, February 11, 2010

Book Review: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Description (from Goodreads):
This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences.

My Thoughts: I picked this book up a while ago from the library and I finally at Sunday though that I should start to read it. I finished it the same night and lost my sleep for the night.

The story starts from Berlin. Bruno's family has been visited by Adolf Hitler who has given a place to work for Bruno's father at Out-With (Auswitch). 9 year old Bruno does not like the new home. His best friends are in Berlin and the new home feels dull compared to the old home at Berlin. And at the new home he does not have any friend to talk and play with.

From the window of his room, Bruno sees people at the distance. These people are wearing all the same striped clothes and they live behind a fence. Since Bruno loves exploring new things, he decides to walk to the fence to see to the other side. At the other side of the fence he sees a small boy and they start to talk. Shamuel is just the same age as Bruno is and they become friends. Bruno cannot understand why a boy just like him is one the other side of the fence and he cannot come out from there. Shamuel tries to explain his world at the other side of the fence while Bruno tells about his life at Berlin and at the new home. The friendship develops and finally ends way too early in a brutal way.

Like I said before, this book made me lose my sleep for a one night. When I closed the book for the last time I just couldn't close my eyes and go to sleep, the ending of the book kept running around in my head again and again. This book was so beautifully written. The brutal world of the World War two and the holocaust are described through a eyes of 9 year old boy which gives a totally new perspective to the situation. This book is a must read!

Has any of you seen the movie? I really want to watch it but I think that the ending might be too much for me? Is it as bad as in the book?

2 comments:

  1. ive read his other book "Next of Kin" but this book has never intrigued me im glad you liked it though

    excellent review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very hard for me and no I haven't seen the film. I don't think I'll ever be able to.
    You have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete